Named Characters and End Times

Fair enough MN, but for a guy that likes to look at the big picture of army synergy, that seems out of your character.

Oops, I meant don't not do. Well, if we were to compare synergy, yes teclis could be decent. I just don't see him as a threat compared to how he used to dominate the game. I've used malekith a few times and he is pretty solid. However, once he gets hit with magic or magic weapons his cool 2++ isn't crap. Sc are hard to keep alive because of the attention they bring to themselves.

Also, I have never seen anyone se teclis over arielle in a unit of 30+ WL, BotWD, and the sc with the move and shoot bolt thrower.

I personally dont ever play with special characters in my armies, but have never had an issue facing them.  I dont see what the big deal is, they are expensive and typically do nominally more than a kitted character. Options are options and I feel like more the merrier, adds longevity to the game. 

For as long as I've been playing Warhammer, there has been a stigma of running SC's, that they are frowned upon. They are seen as crutches, though most of them are barely better than build-a-bearacters, many a lot worse. I like to think that GW actually does a decent job with most of the SC's, toning things down when they need it (like Teclis), and I believe that SC's contribute to the balance of the book. Some books maybe seem weak, except when you throw in a SC (like TK). Some books may seem strong, but have mediocre SC's to compensate, etc.

I think it is important to take all the aspects of an army into account, when considering the balance of a book. And there will always be exceptions, of course. But I think it would be awesome to use the narrative characters we love to go along with the narrative setting we play in.