Next: Dark Eldar

Fix

either way works but the 3 man squads are pretty important for venoms.  I dont have a super strong opinion on it since my own list will not be impacted by that (I dont use the Venoms for characters nor Wracks) but i know some did and their size was perfect for it.  I think they envisioned them attacking with or like Wyches when they originally dropped.  Three Liquifier guns coming from the Venoms makes for a pretty scary anti-personell combo when you consider it with the Venom itself.

I both agree and disagree

To use those liquifiers you need to get close, which is where you don't want your venoms.  This is the issue I had with blasters and 'blasterborn' in venoms, you had to drive close to use them, which is't where venoms are most effective.

Between the move and fire of fast vehicles giving an effect 48" range and the night shield reducing a ranged weapons by 6" I was fairly effective at maneuvering in a pretty safe zone with my venoms.  Things get pretty unsafe when you get into double tap bolter range for a venom, i don't care how hot your flicker field saves are. 

But I do agree that between the 12 poison shots and 3 templates you should put a hurting on any unit of descent size.

I both agree and disagree

To use those liquifiers you need to get close, which is where you don't want your venoms.  This is the issue I had with blasters and 'blasterborn' in venoms, you had to drive close to use them, which is't where venoms are most effective.

Between the move and fire of fast vehicles giving an effect 48" range and the night shield reducing a ranged weapons by 6" I was fairly effective at maneuvering in a pretty safe zone with my venoms.  Things get pretty unsafe when you get into double tap bolter range for a venom, i don't care how hot your flicker field saves are. 

But I do agree that between the 12 poison shots and 3 templates you should put a hurting on any unit of descent size.

See I never worry about the Venoms as much in my list.  Not for mechanical reasons but because of tactical ones.  The enemy REALLY REALLY needs to kill the raiders in my force and they REALLY REALLY dont HAVE to kill the Venoms to beat me.  the more ablation the Venoms cause for my force the better pretty much so I dont bemoan their loss as much as i do Raiders.

In the new codex, which I am not 100% sure they REALLY REALLY needed to do (a lot of things could have been FAQ\d and a nother codex done before Dark eldar that needed it more) I am excited to see what they do for the Artefacts.  That crucible in particular...  No one is really talking about that but it seems like such a big deal after we saw the Culexis.

I'm also hoping they specify Pinning on the Hex Rifle since Sniper rifles no longer auto-get it.  Hex Rifles are spendy but cool.

I cant wait to see what the Mindphase Gauntlet does also.  It's kind of a useless item at the moment.

I'd like Scissorhands to get at least AP 6 and the venom blade AP 5 or something cool like that.

Blast Pistol seems a little on the spendy side for a 6" pistol thats not evven melta.  shave 5 points off that sucker please!

They need some serious points tweaks IMO.  Also, they got close to making warrior squads good, but missed the mark a smidge.  If it were me, I'd make them have 4+ armor instead of 5+ and then give them some kind of rule that they can assault after firing their splinter rifles.  

Wyches need SOMETHING to make them a bit more viable.  Maybe something like they can run and then assault?  Something to increase their threat range so they can get into melee quicker.  

Wracks are basically fine.

• Like 2

They need some serious points tweaks IMO.  Also, they got close to making warrior squads good, but missed the mark a smidge.  If it were me, I'd make them have 4+ armor instead of 5+ and then give them some kind of rule that they can assault after firing their splinter rifles.  

Wyches need SOMETHING to make them a bit more viable.  Maybe something like they can run and then assault?  Something to increase their threat range so they can get into melee quicker.  

Wracks are basically fine.

you nailed it fluger.

@ Hanuar and fluger

There is an unintended, i believe, synergy between wave serpents and venoms.  I have found that they compliment each other in survivability and damage and mobility.

• Like 2

I think that if they let Wyches either disembark from raiders after it moved 12" and then assault, that might be a step in the right direction.  Otherwise, their biggest issue is that they need to get their 4+ invul save for overwatch firing.  You can't reliably charge anything with a flame unit with them, and they became a dead unit after sixth came out.

While that is all fine and dandy, it really doesn't solve the problem of them getting into melee in the first place.  The raider/assault rule I think should be just a raider rule, not for wyches specifically.  

Yes flamers on overwatch are bad news, but they aren't THAT bad, really.  Even a unit with 2 flamers is only going to reliably kill 2, maybe 3 wyches before they assault.  A single flamer should be taking out one, maybe 2?  If they can get into melee quickly, it won't matter.  Just need to work on that.

But given the complications of assault distance and spreading out it only takes one to two wounds to drive that assault to failure. I've been running sentinels with their rerolls for awhile now and see allot of 6" charges go to an 8 roll based on a wound or two...

Precisely why I think getting INTO melee quickly is more of a concern for them, ergo the assault after running rule.  Move 6", run with fleet is about 4" consistently, then assault with fleet is about 9" IIRC.  19" threat range is pretty good for an infantry unit.  Anyway, that'd be my "fix" for them.

the real flamer horror for wyches is the fact that all the DE transports are open topped and in 7th flamers hit the models inside the open topped transports

Oh yes, this is pretty bad, but I think what is worse is that it is now S4 for the explosion instead of S3.  :(

• Like 2