Skyhammer ML

Predator:  145

TL Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons. Dozer Blade

2000 pts

So, the idea of this list is that it represents an element of the Raven Guard that has been put together for a singular assault on a formation of stompas and gargants of the Dreadheads of Mek-boss Buzzgob of Waaagh Garaghak.  These war machines were constructed on Mekslag-Ikks and are now set to hit the heart of the Segmentum Tempestus.  

The Raven Guard normally eschew heavy vehicles like the Predator, but are using some of their few numbers in an attempt to make a surgical strike onto the staging area of the gargants and cripple the main titans.  

A similar attempt by the Raven Guard and Ellysians was met with disaster on Mekslag-Ikks proper, but instead of a drop pod assault, the new tactic calls for an armored punch and retreat.  

The strike force is going to attempt to do as much damage as possible and then slip back out.  

Anyway, that's my theme for this army and I think it still uses the Raven Guard CT well (all those scouting dedicated transports!) and fits their fluff mostly, but also should be pretty potent.  

• Like 4

Not a fan of the chappy like that. Doesn't add enough. Suggest replacing with a psyker - 3opts cheaper, spend extra points on additional mastery level or a additional gear.

If you can get extra points, one I've found to be very worth while, is to replace the scout multi-melta with a plasma pistol. It's spendy, and sad with carapace, but it's an extra attack in melee and multiple uses on that "special" weapon for the scouts.

Not a fan of TL assault cannons on the fragile razorbacks, especially when you already have ample AA options. Suggest TL lascannons, or las/plas. Should help make those preds last longer too. If looking for AP for coping with orks, consider additional storm bolters on the rhinos and razors, plus stock TL heavy bolters on razors instead of AC - those are very much impressive against ork infantry.

Anyway, just thoughts. I very much like the theme.

Idk man, looks a little light on the Objective Secured...

It looks like a lot of fun though. Why the Chappy though? I feel like the captain with the extra wound makes warlord harder to give up.

Light on Ob Sec?  There are 12-14 Ob Sec units in this list...  ??????

The chappy was to get the command squad, and I chose him over the captain because his litanies up the ante on the unit's ability to finish off small units in melee since they have 3 attacks each on the charge.  The extra wound and such just didn't interest me enough.

I like the other list better. :)

8tW6re8.gif

Not a fan of the chappy like that. Doesn't add enough. Suggest replacing with a psyker - 3opts cheaper, spend extra points on additional mastery level or a additional gear.

If you can get extra points, one I've found to be very worth while, is to replace the scout multi-melta with a plasma pistol. It's spendy, and sad with carapace, but it's an extra attack in melee and multiple uses on that "special" weapon for the scouts.

Not a fan of TL assault cannons on the fragile razorbacks, especially when you already have ample AA options. Suggest TL lascannons, or las/plas. Should help make those preds last longer too. If looking for AP for coping with orks, consider additional storm bolters on the rhinos and razors, plus stock TL heavy bolters on razors instead of AC - those are very much impressive against ork infantry.

Anyway, just thoughts. I very much like the theme.

Librarian doesn't give me access to the command squad.  Plasma pistol?  No.  All your suggestions about razorbacks I disagree with.  The TL assault cannons are actually better at taking out armor than the lascannons, their only drawback is range, which is obviated by scout.  Additional stormbolters cost a pretty penny and only work when the vehicle isn't moving.  

I'm glad you like the theme.

Librarian doesn't give me access to the command squad.  Plasma pistol?  No.  All your suggestions about razorbacks I disagree with.  The TL assault cannons are actually better at taking out armor than the lascannons, their only drawback is range, which is obviated by scout.  Additional stormbolters cost a pretty penny and only work when the vehicle isn't moving.  

I'm glad you like the theme.

Weird, no libby command squad. The plasma pistol is impressive on scouts that expect to last longer than a turn. Your call there. I've found the combi-meltas amazing, but they fail in their 1-use nature. I've also found melee scouts impressive, though it may just be their surprise value.

As for the storm bolters and heavy bolters, I'll admit, I've been thinking your army is mostly stationary, as typical anti-ork tactics have them come to you, as their army typically is melee focused. I'd think you'd advance on a stompa, but as that will come to you too, you'd probably wait a turn or two so it can get itself nice and close. You'd want a turn or two of long range shooting while those orks advance into range. Those preds just add to my conclusion, as they can only fire one weapon while moving, but you've added two more. If idea is to advance, why add the sponsons to the preds?

Honestly, seems like dreadnoughts would fill the RG role better than those preds, especially if theme to to advance. Army could benefit from some melee options too.

PS: I have found that my lascannons seem to roll above average, while my assault cannons are typically poor rolls. I've had several games where my land raiders destroy enemy flyers with TL lascannons. This isn't shooting all game either, just one-shot, one-kill. Might relate to me being a fan of land raiders since 3rd...

The Librarian totally gives you access to a Command Squad? Libby, Chappy, and Captain all do.

I don't like Razorbacks these days, even in a RG list- that's still a ton of points for AV11 HP3 and it's not like Assault Cannons are that good. I guess if you actually are fighting Stompas they're one of your better tank options there, but I'm not a big fan overall.

Dozer Blades on the Predators seem kinda redundant- with Scout, how often do you really need to be moving them? Not like it's a huge investment or anything, but...

That sure is a lot of Melta. Better hope nobody brings an Avatar or you're S.O.L....

So, fluger, looked up that command squad thing, finally.... pg164, yeah, libbies can take a command squad. He's 30pts cheaper than your chappy and HQs no longer have to be the Warlord.

As for the chappy, I like them and regularly field them, but you don't have any of the units that I would consider fielding them with. Either a unit where being fearless is crucial (like backfield devastators, combat squad with long range heavy weapon) or a unit designed for assault (vanguard, terminators, honor guard) or counter-assault (CCW+BP scout marines, assault squad).

Back to the RG chapter tactics, have you looked into honor guard? I wouldn't normally advocate them over terminators or centurions, but for your chapter tactics, seems like honor guard would have additional value to your chapter, being non-bulky terminator equivalents (no invulnerable...perhaps psykers on this front).

Also, the scout and stealth rule apply to models with the RG chapter tactics. Should be able to confer these to non-bulky allies.

The Raven Guard tactic explicitly specifies that it only functions for models in units that do not contain any Bulky models- even a single Terminator/Jump Pack/etc in a unit will prevent it from applying.

I know this. Are you responding to me or someone else?

PS: I did edit the above post, but I did that much before your post, so perhaps you were responding to an older posting?