OFCC!!!!!!!!!!

fluger

What a great weekend!  

It was so great seeing so many people that I haven't seen in a long time (thanks to comboing Fantasy and 40k!).  I had great fun casting crazy spells with Jeremy, Todd, Fed, and Evan in that Wizard game thing (what was it called?).  Had great meals with my team and with Babbage, Khan, and Todd as well as Pete!  I also had a hilarious pick up game with Pete, but the dice were just against him and for me (Tzeentch must've needed Khorne taken down a peg or something...).  

As to the official OFCC games, I went 1-3-1 and had probably the best weekend of 40k I've had in ages.  Every single game was down to the wire and very close.  All the missions were Maelstrom and it reinforced my earlier opinion that Maelstrom virtually REQUIRES some speed elements.  All the games I lost my opponent just put pressure on me and took objectives at will, scoring throughout the game.  Had the games been non-Maelstrom missions, I probably would've fared much better.  (not a knock on the event, that's a knock on my list!)

Game 1 was vs Aaron with another IG list with a Hellhammer and a Pask Punisher unit (3 Punishers!).  This was my draw game and we basically just shot the [big bad swear word] out of each other.  His Pask unit I let do what it wanted while I cleared his artillery and guardsmen and took down the Hellhammer (incidentally, I faced 3 different super heavies and killed them all!).  This was also the first of 3 games in which I rolled the 4++ divination power and put it on my blob.  4++ on a blob is straight crazy, yo!  :D I totally get the Azrael in a blob thing now!  Anyway, my big fighty blob crossed the table and wrecked face, while the Pask unit went up into my backfield and cleared it.  Overall, a huge bloodbath and very engaging.  This was team Emperor's Neckbeard which quite rightly won best painted.  I felt like a pauper in a palace playing against Aaron's army!  

eRYfo0g.jpg

Game 2 I played against Karl (Carl?) with a drop pod marine list with a knight.  This was team Emperor's Fist Bumps.  I lost this game almost entirely because I couldn't get anything to where the objectives were and kept drawing objective cards where I couldn't possibly go.  I absolutely smashed up his units (he had like 5 infantry, a stormtalon, and 5 drop pods left at the end while I think he only completely killed 3 units).  Anyway, I lost handily, but it FELT close, which is really all I care about.  A single better run move on turn 2 could've turned the tide and won me the game as I had my scouts come in and try and snag an objective in his backfield that I had two cards for!  Alas I rolled poorly and they got blowed up.  

krkNYPJ.jpg

Game 3 was against JayneCobb's (of the Warhamsters: Double Penetraitors) mech Blood Angels list with 3 dropping dreads.  This game I also got the 4++ save and put it to good use.  That single unit killed the entire death company and reclusiarch (10 strong unit), the Land Raider that brought them, a drop pod, a Furioso, and a hovering Stormraven.  :flex:  Straight up bananas.  I won on pointsm but I only squeaked by though as his little fast transports kept blitzing around grabbing objectives, but I had enough "kill this thing" cards that I was able to do it.  

A0ggzt7.jpg

Game 4 was against a Les from A-Club Over(Under?)Acheivers with his CSM/Daemon list all nurgled up.  He got into melee with my big blob on turn 2, and I had the 4++ save again, which meant that I didn't die, but he made a great move and assaulted a part of my unit I wasn't expecting, and all my combat characters weren't there.  So we ended up in combat for the rest of the game with his Daemon Prince as it slowly killed a few guys here and there.  I killed big fattie and a bunch of death guard and rhinos, but I was unable to dislodge his troops on objectives and he just scored a bunch.  I lost 6-5(ish?) and might've won had the game gone to 6, but whatevs.  He won my favorite opponent pin, but it was super close thgough as I really could've given it to anyone (I'm not just saying that either, this was the best crop of opponents I've had in all the years I've gone to OFCC).  

PPEZRuU.jpg

Game 5 was against Josh from the eventual Best Overall team, DMB: Riders of Brohan.  He had another drop pod marine list with a knight.  Game played out very similarly, but I had a better shot at it, but made two mistakes.  Mistake one was thinking that a piece of terrain was impassable when we hadn't discussed it, which meant his knight just waltzed into a part of my line I didn't think it could have gotten too (always talk to your opponent ahead of time, kids!).  The other mistake was not shooting up an honor guard unit that I had gotten misfortune onto and instead opted for a long distance assault on an ironclad that was threatening my lines.  I failed the charge and didn't shoot the unit. :(  Game played out the same way, I was boxed into my deployment and while I did damage, I couldn't get out and was slowly out-pointed.  Highlight for me was bringing down the knight.  I actually got two pens on overwatch with my lascannons and then after it rofl-stomped my guard blob (two 6s on the Destroyer chart!), I finished it off with a Griffon shot!  :D  

X73Z7TG.jpg

Again, just an immensely enjoyable weekend and I can't wait for next year.  

• Like 9

Sounds like it was a great weekend :) it's always fun when the games are close.

Looks like the venue had a bit more room, did folks like being able to move around the tables?

Would you change your list to add mobility for 7th/maelstrom?

Thanks for sharing :)

I'd rather got 0-5 in close games than go 5-0 in laffers.  I have gone 5-0 at OFCC and it wasn't very fun when I did.  

The venue had tons of space and I really liked not bumping butts with someone or feeling like I was about to knock an army over.  That was about the best thing I could say for the venue.  

I think adding mobility to this list is absolutely critical if I plan on playing mostly maelstrom (which I do).  I'll certainly be doing some "list noodling" posts here as I try and figure things out.  Really though, with the new Ork dex out, I'm in full on Waagh! Fluger, so that's probably where I'm going to be devoting my time.  I'm already looking at the Orks coming back in 2015.  We'll see though.  

• Like 2

Anyway...

I think I'd change up my list to THIS.

Commissar Yarrick: 145

(Allied) Master of the Forge (Salamanders CT): 110
Conversion Beamer

(Allied) Ordo Xenos Inquisitor: 75 60
Force Sword/Divination, Rad Grenades, Meltabombs

Ministorum Priest: 25

Infantry Platoon: 440
PCS: 50 + 50
 Lascannon 
 2 Meltaguns
 Taurox 
Squad: 70
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
20 Conscripts: 60

Infantry Platoon: 485
PCS: 50 + 50
 Lascannon 
 2 Meltaguns
 Taurox 
Squad: 75
Flamer, Power Axe, Meltabombs
Squad: 80
Meltagun, Power Axe, Meltabombs
Squad: 80
Meltagun, Power Axe, Meltabombs

(Allied) 5 Space Marine Scouts: 55 
Bolters

2 Leman Russ Eradicators: 280
Multimelta Sponsons

2 Basilisks: 250

2 Griffons: 150 (Imperial Armor)

Aegis Defense Line:  85
Icarus Lascannon

2000 pts

Essentially, switch the lascannons to meltaguns, drop the aegis and the rad grenades, and get Tauroxes.  

I could leave the Taurox in reserve and have very little that was easy to get first blood against and I wouldn't be sacrificing much.  I gain a unit that is ob-sec and FAST that can go out and get stuff and I won't worry about losing it.  

I lose anti-air, which would suck for reals against some armies, but I think I can handle it overall.  

Thoughts?  

Does this matter when we have an LRC to make sure the lists aren't too crazy? Because I haven't heard too many complaints (yet) about opponents lists. If anything, Maelstrom is getting all the rage fest.

I played against 2 Unbound lists, neither of which caused an unfun game. In both cases it really helped the theme of the army and was the only way the player could play the type of army he wanted. The LRC did a very good job of keeping out the cheese.

fluger: I like the new list, especially the swap from Lascannons to Meltaguns. I learned over the weekend that mobility is key in Maelstrom missions. I would really try to sneak in some anti-air, though. Even a Space Marine Stalker would do wonders for the list.

• Like 2

Does this matter when we have an LRC to make sure the lists aren't too crazy? Because I haven't heard too many complaints (yet) about opponents lists. If anything, Maelstrom is getting all the rage fest.

Well whether it matters is up to Fluger.  He'd have been the one playing them.

I haven't heard rage on anything yet.  This is the only thread i think there is so far on OFCC.  Surprisingly muted.

I haven't heard rage on anything yet. This is the only thread i think there is so far on OFCC. Surprisingly muted.

We (the Senators) implemented a survey for people to submit their gripes and kudos this year. Keep the boards a little tidier and have less of a rage fest on the forums. People can still grumble on here if they like, but the survey will allow us to make positive changes in the future.

• Like 3

I got zero complaints in person about my Unbound list. My last opponent wasn't super into facing a really aggressive list, but a BattleForged version would have still done the same in-your-face aggression, just forced me to sub in more boring models. We just didn't have great options for matchups against that team.

• Like 2