HDTV Antenna installation?

Dark Trainer

So I recently cut the cable and rely on Hulu and Netflix for my TV needs now. That said, I'm interested in running an Antenna from the attic and wiring it to my Cable Coax so my TV's can actually get local channels.

I've noticed the per TV antennas are pretty weak, gimmicky, etc. So I was thinking a nicer quality one in the attic could run the 3 outlets.

I'm trying to determine if I need an amplified one or not. I'm out by Barlow high school in Gresham, and think I may need an amplified one.

I've searched youtube and seen some various videos. But the amplifier one looks like I need to run power to the attic and really don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they resolved it?

• Like 1

I'm in NE Vancouver, so probably as far from downtown Portland (where most of the broadcast towers are) as you are. We installed one on the roof (chimney-mounted). I run it to the distribution setup I have in our hall closet - I have an amplifier there. It can be easier to run power there, though most attics will have something you can split off of to power the antenna if that's what you decide to do. Depends on how handy you are with electriciany work ;)

You don't need a steerable one, and you will probably be ok with non-amplified antenna, just with a distribution amplifier (since there are losses every time you split the signal).

• Like 1

Dude, that helps a lot actually. I do have a power outlet in our walk in closet already. I could probably just run an extension cord up there to hook up the AMP...now I just need to figure out how to wire the antenna to the existing Coax series. I'm guessing a splitter of some kind and as long as it's on the same outlets as the 3 we're good. Maybe I need to go to the source at the cable box? Or if I split it into the Jack in my bedroom that would filter out to all the other rooms on the coax, right?

Any tips on where to get my Coax to run it, noticed Bi-mart seemed to be pretty affordable.

Also, that link looks like non amplified? Did you buy one separately?

Running a line from your antenna to the cable box splitter is your best bet. If the splitter is in the attic cool. Most likely can be found on the side of your house. Dont cut the lines in the attic. It will only cause problems down the road. Especially if you end up going back to cable or dish/direct.

10 year satellite/cable iinstaller giving his advice.

Ok, so I have to figure out how to get my antenna Coax down to the cable box splitter (which makes sense).

Will it interfere with the Cable internet and phone service I have from Comcast still? Any special equip to separate those signals? Read something about a diplexer?

So I assume an amplifier would be required since I'm running cable from the antenna to the cable splitter outside, then all that coax runs back into the house?

Starting to think I can't do it as it sounds like Comcast's signal may interfere with the internet signal.

Dunno about diplexer. Ours is just separate - the Comcast goes to the cable modem and the antenna to the splitters and various rooms. Where is your modem/phone thingy? At the splitter, or at one spot? If it's in one room, you'll just take the incoming Comcast cable and patch it straight into that room (Male to Male adapter thingy), then put your antenna line onto the 'in' of the splitter to go out to all the OTHER rooms that aren't hooked to modem.

Figure out which line your internet line is and barrel it directly to the comcast feed from the street. You wont be able to get both antenna and internet on that same line. Diplexers can work, but without experience and using an amp you aren't likely to have a good experience on it and if anything just make your internet unreliable. If you need tv in that room with the internet just buy some coax cable from home depot and run a second line to that room. RG6 is the minimum i recommend. 3ghz rating. Quad is not needed. You can also buy fittings and a crimper from HDepot.

You can use the existing coax. Just not for the line with the modem.

Agreed! Sounds like you could work with me or Iraf and we'd be willing to help you plan. If you could draw a quick diagram of your existing setup, it'd help us explain.

If you don't want to continue this on the boards, you can email me a tim (at) timsmartini (dot) com.