Maelstrom Go Back!

CaptainA

I'm a fan of the Maelstrom. I wish they took it a bit farther and added deck building. Able to take special faction cards, kind of like Netrunner.  But I think its a good step, although the book keeping is a pain. The best tactics I've found are and things that are fast and things that can overkill a unit, I've been having success with vindicators and nurgle spawn. I can wipe out a unit if I focus all my fire then get into assault, and I can run to an objective if I need to. I haven't had good results with the camping Plague marines like I did in 6th.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Maelstrom. I wish they took it a bit farther and added deck building. Able to take special faction cards, kind of like Netrunner.  But I think its a good step, although the book keeping is a pain. The best tactics I've found are and things that are fast and things that can overkill a unit, I've been having success with vindicators and nurgle spawn. I can wipe out a unit if I focus all my fire then get into assault, and I can run to an objective if I need to. I haven't had good results with the camping Plague marines like I did in 6th.

I like that the newer factions codex releases have included specialized objective cards which seem to be slightly different than the rule book version (only have the set for space wolves, but I know Orks have them, maybe GK too), not too overpowered in my limited experience, but it gives a touch more flavor towards that army's fluff/playstyle.  I think full on deck building could get dangerous quick; picture Saim Hann style eldar with nothing but objective and movement/position based objectives to draw from.  

The new system seems to force a more interactive game (move around and engage) rather than a less dynamic 6th ed style game (gunline with a 4th turn objective sieze because the game could end).  Whether intentional or not, it does seem to encourage a list with a bit of everything to be able to go for every possible objective.  Definitely needs an improved discard/redraw mechanic though.

• Like 1

Deck building would help some of the lower ranked books. Chaos Marines are great at summoning things, throwing cultists in a grinder, and camping. But not moving or shooting. If they could score points for tar pitting more points than the unit is worth, they might win some games. Something like "Remain in assault with more points than your squad is worth and score 1 point. Make it 2x as much and score d3 points" and "Summon some crap, score a point". But all of the stuff in the book favors fast, shooty armies, not games of attrition, which is all Chaos really has. And it would require me to buy more crap from GW.