Ogres Rise from The Moot

I will be starting an Ogre army for the escalation and after my initial list being posted in the escalation thread I decided to move it to my own thread to show the progress of my army.  I made some adjustments to the list as well.  Here is what I will be starting with.

Slaughtermaster w/Lore of the Great Maw

Hunter w/Longstrider, sword of battle, enchanted shield

8 Ogre Bulls w/bellower, standard bearer, look-out gnoblar, iron fists

2 Sabretusks

Stonehorn

The plan is simple:

1) Slaughtermaster joins ogres

2) Huner joins the 2 sabretusks

3) Vanguard hunter and sabretusks for early game charges and put pressure on my enemy

4) Run the other two units up the gut and get in to the combat early

Low model count, a solid magic phase, and some hard hitting units.  Lore of the Great Maw is just great at making the standard Ogre kick butt and with the lore attribute it could help to gain wounds back on the slaughtermaster.  Yes, there is also the slight chance that he takes a wound as well, but that's the risk I could take.

Here's the 1500 point list I'm working towards:

Slaughermaster w/lore of the great maw, fencer's blades, glittering scales, ironcurse icon

Bruiser w/bsb, runemaw

Hunter w/hellheart

6 Ogre Bulls w/full command, ironfists, look-out gnoblar

4 Ogre Bulls w/bellower, sandard bearer, ironfists

2 Sabretusks Pack

2 Mournfang Cavalry w/heavy armour, ironfists

Stonehorn

Yes, I know there are some brutal builds on the Slaughtermaster and the Hunter; however, I have no ironguts, maneaters, ironblasters, or leadbelchers.  This army is purely made for close combat which is supported by the slaughtermaster.  In order for this army to withstand everything else, I went with the hellheart on the hunter to try and force some early miscasts on my enemy while providing a very real threat to my opponent.  WIth the addition of the 2 mournfang cav, who could hold up weaker units, and with the stone horn on a different flank or running right up the gut, I am hoping the bulls will be able to get to combat where the slaughtermaster can go to town.  The runemaw will also help with keeping most magic off my main unit of bulls.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started work on the Stonehorn.  I would like to say that this model was a blast to put together  This is a very well sculpted model, IMO.   I have the pieces primed and will begin to base coat, and hopfully wash, tomorrow.

I am thinking of going with a bone color, instead of the standard "stone", for the skull.

Stonehorn_01.jpg

Stonehorn_02.jpg

If I bring this tomorrow, it will be headless and riderless.

Well, I got my first three games with Ogres in tonight and I have to say, it was a BLAST!  I love them.  They move fast, fight good enough, and have lots of threats.  What was the main thing I learned tonight?  MORE HUNTER!!!!!

My hunter was my MVP for all three games.  He's a real threat.  He poses a real threat real fast and I like what he adds to the army.  I think I may drop my triple stonehorn idea and work out a way to get 2 hunters in the final army.

Being that this is the season for escalation, I will be changing up my list to try some things out next week.  I will say that 1,150 is a weird point level for Ogres.  At any rate, here's the list for next week:

Tyrant w/ogre blade, gut maw (S7, Terror, gains wounds back in challenges)

Bruiser w/bsb, great weapon, heavy armour, runemaw (spells targeted at the unit are negated on a 2+)

7 Ogre Bulls w/full command, ironfists

3 Ogre Bulls w/iron fists

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Stonehorn

I dropped the slaughtermaster and hunter to test out a tyrant and bruiser.  The runemaw makes up for not having a wizard.  I have two terror causing units on the charge, and the Tyrant is just as much of a beast as the stonehorn.  It should be a fun list to test out.

I was going to keep the slaughtermaster and hunter but I decided it would be better to test out some different choices for this week.

Here's the 1500 point list I'm working towards:

Slaughermaster w/lore of the great maw, fencer's blades, glittering scales, ironcurse icon

Bruiser w/bsb, runemaw

Hunter w/hellheart

6 Ogre Bulls w/full command, ironfists, look-out gnoblar

4 Ogre Bulls w/bellower, sandard bearer, ironfists

2 Sabretusks Pack

2 Mournfang Cavalry w/heavy armour, ironfists

Stonehorn

Yes, I know there are some brutal builds on the Slaughtermaster and the Hunter; however, I have no ironguts, maneaters, ironblasters, or leadbelchers.  This army is purely made for close combat which is supported by the slaughtermaster.  In order for this army to withstand everything else, I went with the hellheart on the hunter to try and force some early miscasts on my enemy while providing a very real threat to my opponent.  WIth the addition of the 2 mournfang cav, who could hold up weaker units, and with the stone horn on a different flank or running right up the gut, I am hoping the bulls will be able to get to combat where the slaughtermaster can go to town.  The runemaw will also help with keeping most magic off my main unit of bulls.

Not sure if you're still planning on moving to this list.

If so isn't Hellheart an arcane item? If so I don't think the hunter can have it.

Yeah, I haven't updated the list.  I can' take the hellheart on the Hunter.  I'm pretty sure the list will change.  I'm continuing to test out units during the escalation.  During this process, I am also trying to complete gnoblar achievements through Ogre Stronghold.

There are two units which will stay though:

The Slaughtermaster stays, the unit of bulls stays, and the Stonehorn stays.  I will most likely drop the hunter for a unit of 4 Mournfang Cavalry with the dragonhide banner.  Who knows though.  The main problem I am having with the low points games are units.  I'm not used to only have 2-3 units of stuff.  Don't get me wrong, they have survivability and great damage output but I'm just used to having lots of models on the table.

The biggest learning curve I'm having is that I really need to pick and choose my fights with this list and I need to make sure I can either crush my opponent fast in the combat phase or I can win the gring in roughly 2 rounds of combat.

So, I have been modifying and modifying and yup modifying the end goal for a 2,500 point Ogre Kingdoms army.  I really don't want to paint 2 more stonehorns so the triple stonehorn list was told to "beat it".  Here's what I came up with today:

Slaughtermaster w/LoGW, Level 4, fencer's blade's, glittering scales, dispel scroll

Bruiser w/BSB, runemaw

Firebelly w/RRoR

6 Bulls w/FC, iron fists

6 Bulls w/bellower, standard bearer, iron fists

3 Bulls w/iron fists

3 Bulls w/iron fists

3 Leadbeltchers

3 Leadbeltchers

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

4 Mournfang Cavalry w/heavy armour, iron fists, dragonhide banner

Gnoblar Scraplauncher

Giant

Stonehorn w/harpoon launcher

If everything goes according to plan, I will be at game night with my Ogres.  Here's the list I would be bringing:

Tyrant w/Ogre Blade, Gut Maw

Bruiser w/BSB, great weapon, heavy armour, runemaw

7 Ogre Bulls w/full command, iron fists

3 Ogre Bulls w/iron fists

3 Leadbeltchers w/bellower

Sabretusk

Stonehorn w/harpoon launcher

Since I'm not a big fan of 2v2 games, I'm just bringing a face stomp list with no magic required.

I painted 3 Ogres last night and based them as well.  I need to paint the eyes but I am still practicing that part and so the eyes are the only things left for the 3 Ogres.

I will be picking up some more Ogres today or tomorrow and will begin assmebling them, priming them, and hopefully start base coating them.  I'm planning on picking up a box of Bulls, a box of leadbeltchers, and hopefully 2 Sabretusks.  I will be proxying my Tyrant and BSB this weekend.  I am trying to figure out which models I want to use for my future Bruiser.  I am thinking of using the exectuioneer as my BSB because I just really love that model.  However, it's a toss up between him and the pay master man-eater model.

At any rate, I should have the majority of my models needed for this weekend and will need to proxy a few of them.

I was able to get some work done on my Ogres tonight.  I got 3 leadbeltchers primed and 7 Ogre Bulls ready for priming tomorrow.  I am planning on working on the leadbeltchers and hopefully a few of the Bulls tomorrow.  After I prime the bulls in the morning, I'm heading out to try and secure two sabretusks.

I'm working on possible sabretusk paint schemes.  I don't want to do the standard lion which is most commonly seen.  I am going to be painting one as a panther.  As for the second...I'm still debating.  We'll see though.  I just want something different.

On the plus side, I'll be able to bring my Ogres to game night and secure some painting points.