Here There Be Daemons

Hello to all, and happy post-OFCC 2014!

I have decided to scrap my plan for a forest spirit army until next year.  It's going to be costly, and will require a lot of work that I simply don't have the time for currently.  Instead, I'm going to use some of my daemon models in the army book that they are intended for.

The escalation league is starting up this week, so I'm jumping in head first with the new army.  Almost all of what I have now is Nurgle models, so it will take some time to get up to a full mixed-chaos list.  Still, it is a lot cheaper and less time-consuming than starting from scratch.  

Another things that attracts me to the daemons is that they are a solid army with many viable builds.  I love my beastmen to death, but I am a bit tired of bringing soft lists and getting my ass handed to me even when I bring harder ones.  That being said, I may take this as an opportunity to dig in with some good old-fashioned filth in my lists.  Nothing OTT, but definitely things on the harder side.  It will take some time to learn how to use the army effectively anyway, so maybe at first it wont seem so nasty.  

At 1k, things start off fairly soft

Herald of Tzeetnch - level 2, Metal

12 Pink Horrors - Musician

23 Plaguebearers - Standard, Musician

3 Beasts of Nurgle

1 Beast of Nurgle

5 Fleshounds 

Nothing too terrible, though the beasts will be a pain for any army to deal with.  Anyway, I look forward to adding some new units in with my nurgle boys, and to the league itself!

The nice thing about the solo beast is it moves as a lone monster. Especially since beasts can't have musicians it's useful to have the flexibility of say, 12 inches of lateral or backwards movement that you can do with one beast. It's also the only real sacrificial piece of chaff in the list.

And the three wide block is steadfast against lone models until one dies.

because of those advantages I think you had the right unit size breakdown.

Agree on lore of Tzeentch! pew pew

• Like 1

I have the same feeling about the beast units.  Units of 2 will get the job done, but the unit of 3 and the unit of 1 are meant to fill different rolls.  Giving up the freedom of movement to evenly split the units doesn't seem worth it to me.  Talapas knows that a single beast can handle a flank's worth of chaff on it's own.

I have the same feeling about the beast units. Units of 2 will get the job done, but the unit of 3 and the unit of 1 are meant to fill different rolls. Giving up the freedom of movement to evenly split the units doesn't seem worth it to me. Talapas knows that a single beast can handle a flank's worth of chaff on it's own.

Yeah, but more can handle a bigger unit. It may be better to 1x 1x 2x

Play around with it a bit. See what works beat for your playstyle.

I have to say that at least on paper I'm really liking the way the burning chariots look.  They definitely lack in the survivability department, but a flying chariot with decent shooting attacks and 9 S4 attacks plus D6+1 impact seems very reasonable for it's points.  They fill a very different roll than the flesh hounds, but I think I'll switch them out in my first list so I can experiment.   

Herald of Tzeetnch - level 2, Tzeentch

12 Pink Horrors - Musician

23 Plaguebearers - Standard, Musician

3 Beasts of Nurgle

1 Beast of Nurgle

Burning Chariot

This works nicely for me, as Nurgle and Tzeentch are my two loves.  I know that they hate eachother, but don't really care :)

That's because your a power gaming meany pants!

That's right!  My sterling 1-4 record from this year's OFCC shows that I will stop at nothing to win!

In other news, I have 10 pink horrors put together, and remembered that I own a the three-armed, spindly demon Tzeentch sorcerer from the WoC line. So I've got my herald and my horrors well on their way to a full unit.  I'm a little low on funds for now, so the chariot will have to wait awhile.

• Like 1

I'm trying to decide what color scheme I want to do with my Tzeentch models.  Green is taken, as all of my Nurgle stuff is super bright green, and I would like the other gods to stand out.  For the horrors, I'm between these options:

Pink bodies with blue flame.

Blue Bodies with orange flame.

Red/orange bodies with green flame.

Multi-colored (a mix of the above) with blue flame.

I like it, will do.  I'm, by far, not the best painter around, but I will see what I can do with these guys.  If I can figure out a good system, then I hope to make the flesh look like natural fire, and the Tzeentch fire look ethereal and unnatural.  If I fail, they will look like magnificent christmas beasts.