Here There Be Daemons

I'm terrible at making decisions, so I need some feedback.  If I want to, I can fit in a basic daemon prince with mark of nurgle and chaos armor this week (275 on the nose).  However, it limits what else I can bring and puts a lot of eggs into one mediocre basket.  But it's neat!  Here are the two lists I'm between

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Armor

Herald of Tzeentch - Level 2

15 Horrors - Standard, Musician

19 Plaguebearers - Full Command

3 Beasts of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

or

Herald of Nurgle - level 2

13 Horrors - Standard, Musician

24 Plaguebearers - Standard, Musician

3 Beast of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

5 Furies of Nurgle

Burning Chariot

Both look fun, but I feel that the second is likely to be more effective.

Oh no, not even close to the WoC.  But for the cost of a cygor or a ghorgon he makes a pretty damn good run-of-the-mill monster.

I have a leg done on one of the horrors (they are going to take awhile!), and the dark red-to-yellow color scheme is looking amazing.  Each of these guys will need to be a labor of love, but I'm really excited to see them finished.

Now with pictures!

I finished the skin tones on the first of the test horrors, and I am very pleased with the results.   This one still needs to have his claws/teeth/horns, tongue, and metal bits done.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

As always, sorry for the crappy quality on the camera.  I have to decide now if I will do all of them in the same colors, or have some red/orange/yellow, blue/green/yellow, and some of whatever other colors I feel like.

• Like 2

My circles are bad!  For now I'm just going to stick with a simple, flat free-hand job on them.  It's likely that I'll come up with something different, but who knows?  Maybe I'll end up liking them like this.   Anywho, the first one if finished!

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

I shall name him Bill!

Next project is to do one up in blue/green.  

• Like 1

Nobody sparkles!

Due to a coworker falling down some stairs, breaking a shoulder, two ribs, and puncturing a lung, I have been very busy with work this week.  For tomorrow I will have one orange horror and one blue horror painted.  So far I'm liking the red-yellow a lot more, so I'll probably do the rest in those colors.

Finally got to bring the daemons to game night!  Had three great games with great opponents, here is the breakdown.

First game was against woodelves.  The list was set up to test out units of wardancers, so there were three units of 6, 2 units of guard (one poison, one trueflight), a shadow weaver, and a treeman.   The wardancers did great for their first round with the 3+ ward, but then were beaten up by whatever they were fighting.  I think that they can be used effectively, but need great finesse.  In the end I broke through and forced through the army.  Win for Daemons.

Second game against ogres was a wonky one.  His mage cascaded and blew up, the daemon prince and a beast of nurgle spent 3 turns trying to kill a hunter with a couple of dogs, it took three beasts and 3 casted of infernal gateway to bring down a stonehorn...things were weird.  In the end I brought down the ogres.  Win for Daemons.

Game three!  I was up against Ben and his Lizardmen.  He played a great game, and it was back-and-forth the entire time.  He would probably have had me if I hadn't killed his skink priest off on accident (Fire of tzeentch scattered onto him, did a wound, then killed with warpflame).  All in all this was a great game, and I managed to beat him by the skin on my teeth.  Win for Daemons.

The army is a blast to play, and is going to be a lot of fun putting together.  Thanks for three great games!

Main learning points:

-Beasts are great, but not the best thing in the world.  They have their uses, but are still beatable.  Even though they are amazing, all of the hype makes people over-estimate them.

-Lore of Tzeentch if fun and awesome!  It's all damage, it's random, it's intimidating, and it brings back models.  Even with just three spells, i always could threaten my opponent.  Possibly the most fun I've ever had in my magic phases.  On that note...

-Horrors are way better in game than on paper.  

-Daemon prince is meh.  He did great against unsupported units, but would be an absolute mess against anything worth fighting.  I like having a monster in the list, but don't think he will be returning at these low point values.

All it all it was a great night, and I am loving the army so far. 

• Like 1

I had a great time playing your army last night.  We continue to have the craziest crap happen.  Lore of Tzeentch is one of the scariest offensive magic lores  Yes, it is random, but it just packs so much hurt when it works.  I like your list.  I think the beasts you have are great for bogging stuff down.  Against the stonehorn they just couldn't wound;  however, if you are dealing with S4 or T3 units, those things are gonna wreck.

I also really like your synergy of the army.  You don't have a single overpowering phase.  I mean, you don't have shooting, got it, but you have a strong movement phase, a strong magic phase and a strong combat phase.

Looking at this for next week's game

Daemon Prince - Chaos Armor, Mark of Nurgle (I said he wouldn't be back, but he's fast and will be useful for the scenario)

Herald of Tzeentch

18 Plaguebearers - Standard, Musician

Beast of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch (pew pew, botches!)

I will do my best to blast a path through the enemy on my way to the outhouse, killing anything that gets in the way.  If it were higher points, I would bring a keeper of secrets and try to acquiescence/choir everything to keep it from getting close to their objective.  Sadly, I can't be that nasty at low points.  Instead I'll hope for first turn and get as much pew pew as possible from magic and shooting.

Everyone seemed to agree that yellow is the way to go with the models, so the rest of the horrors, and all tzeentch models, will stick to that color scheme.

I'm bored this morning, so I'm thinking of a few possible lists for OFCC next year.  Both come in pretty low for comp, so I may need to adjust to get them higher.  The only difference between the lists is taking a daemon prince instead of a lord of change, and adding blue horror crew to both burning chariots.

Lord of Change - Level 4, Tzeentch, Exalted Gift, Lesser Gift

Herald of Tzeentch - Level 2, Metal, BsB

Herald of Nurgle - Greater Locus

23 Plaguebearers - Full Command

3 Beasts of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

3 Screamers of Tzeentch

3 Screamers of Tzeentch

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

Points - 2394    Comp Score - 12.9

Or, with a daemon prince instead of the LoC

Daemon Prince - Mark of Tzeentch, Level 4, Tzeentch, Chaos Armor, Flying, Greater Gift, Lesser Gift

Herald of Tzeentch - Level 2, Metal, BsB

Herald of Nurgle - Greater Locus

23 Plaguebearers - Full Command

3 Beasts of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

3 Screamers of Tzeentch

3 Screamers of Tzeentch

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch - Blue Horror Crew

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch - Blue Horror Crew

Points - 2399  Comp Score - 13.8

I worry that the daemon prince just isn't worth it for his points.  For just 35 points less that the lord of change, he really doesn't bring must to the table.  Beyond that I could be happy with the list, it can compete in every phase, and has enough fast units in it to keep the pressure on my opponents.

Thoughts?

I've been long of the opinion that DP's are awful for actual daemon armies. Either Heralds only or a Greater with a Herald in support. For the price if the DP you can obtain another casting herald along with a good sized fast moving combat unit that's effectively better then the DP in combat.

I'd can it for a Lv2 Herald of Tz on Metal, the Lichebone Banner on one of the Horror units and however many Plague Drones that there's points for.

I'm not big on adding drones to the army, they're just not really what I'm looking for.   Also, I modified and painted a bunch of them for my beastmen army, so I kind of sick of them.

I could easily drop the prince for another herald of Tzeentch, but I would take Tzeentch magic on him (one metal caster is enough for me).  Not sure what else I would add in for the extra ~350 points that would open up.  

The first list is likely what I would go for.  It gives me the option for an effective monster, and a nice centerpiece.

Had today off, gave me the time to complete the second test horror.  Everyone at game night voted for the yellow and red over the blue, but here is a better view of them both completely finished.   

photo2-4.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

I will be sticking with yellow, but there will always be a single blue one in the army :)

• Like 2