10304640_10204061971046027_6951577280027

10252066_10204061902204306_3238496706169

1620433_10204061902844322_70479441071503

10411416_10204061902924324_3455219765571

10171628_10204061904364360_4956655830878

1798283_10204061904044352_68471430784255

10171916_10204061904564365_8374355817149

10704120_10204061905204381_2046747219615

-Cooked Chicken in Crockpot over night, deboned, returned for another hour, strained, separated into two portions.

-Seared Pork Shoulder, put into crockpot onto of onion, returned Chicken Stock to crockpot, added Cilantro.  Cooked on high for 3 hours, put on low.  Will continue working on it tomorrow.

-Boiled Pasta, added smaller portion of chicken, mayo, seasonings, balsamic vinegar, salt, onion.  Covered and placed in fridge to get flavorful.

-Added 4 cups Mole, 2 Cups Rojo sauce and 2 cups water to the remaining chicken, simmered for 3 hours on low, pulled half and froze for a later dinner.  Continued low simmer of Spicy Chicken Mole. 

-Made Chicken Sandwich with tomato, mayo, salt and pepper before making the Chicken Pasta.

- 4 to 5 meals for 4 people in my house.  

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Taking fillet knife and stab pockets into loin. Stuff pockets with garlic or shallots. Keep it even more tender and bust flavor. Even spice paste go good to. I do cumin, chili powder, cayenne and coriander blend with garlic and olive oil makes fine paste stuff meat with paste cook in crock pot.

Also I have fund a Dutch oven does what a crock does in half the time and keeps meats far more tender and juicy. Plus much easier to clean.

Thanks for sharing I love to read about cooking.

Just made my own barbecue sauce yesterday and am cook 6 lbs of chicken soaked in it Dutch oven. Will be able to make awesome sliders with blue cheese.

• Like 2

I'm on a limited budget right now, so I don't have as many veggies or other things as I would've liked to have had at various sages, but it's still coming out!  The shoulder is falling apart, almost no chunks left, already took it's netting out.  I didn't let it sit with the dry rub for very long before I seared it, but I'm happy with the results thus far.  I've never cooked pork shoulder before, I'm not normally a fan of pork, to be honest.  But so far, this has been a good experience.  I'd like to make my own BBQ sauce, don't have enough molasses in the cabinet, though.  Don't have any liquid smoke either.  But I'm excited to do that sometime soon. 

Feel free to share pics of what you have going on, too!  I'd love to see what you're cooking and how you're doing it.  Also gives other people a quick go to for ideas.  I'm sure we have some great Grillers, Rolled Sleeve Closet Chefs, and anything else.  Don't just be an arm chair general, be an arm chair chef, too!

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I spend minimum of 1 hour in kitchen each day cook for fam of 4. I try to make most things from scratch and 2 small kids massive daycare and student loans I know the budget feel.

Pic is of my first attempt at making my own barbecue. So chicken sandwich with thigh and breast meat. Thigh bone in and skin adds great flavor . Buttered buns and added blue cheese melted on with avocado. Damn good. I'll post my shoyu cheap and easy recipe that works with thigh meat goes a long way.

post-1656-0-73412800-1412652357_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

One of my favs is putting a few pounds of chicken in crock pot. Pour into it a can of Pepsi and a few cups of ketchup. Add a bit if salt and pepper and let cook for a few hours.

Forgive me, but what does that give you?

I know beer chicken

I know BBQ simmered chicken

But Pepsi & Ketchup? I'm so confused...

• Like 1

4 lbs boneless skinless thighs from winco.

1 can of chipotles in adobo from winco

1 can generic tomato paste

1 can generic chicken stock.

1/2 packet Lowry fajita seasoning.

Add all liquids to crock pot. Stir. Add chicken. Add water to cover chicken. Put on lid. Turn on low. Go to work.

Come home. Eat delicious super spicy chicken.

Shred and serve with cilantro sour cream and lime on a corn tortilla.

Shred and add to rolls with cucumber, and Cole slaw with a side of fries.

Shred and serve over Spanish fried rice.

Shred and put over pizza crust with mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and pineapple.

Feeds 4 for four meals.

Total cost of prep ingredients 11.68

• Like 3

Pepsi chicken!

Sounds weird, but it is pretty good. Eat it on sweet Hawaiian rolls.

Sounds like diabetes waiting to happen.

I've been trying to cut back on carbs and focus on whole foods lately.  I've found some simple salads to be really nice.

Iceberg lettuce (wedge or chopped)

chunky bleu cheese dressing

black olives (sliced)

thick-cut bacon (2 slices lightly crisped and chopped)

fried onions (optional)

cherry tomatoes halved to taste

You can also add 4oz of sirloin cooked to taste if you want.  I recommend steak cooking a la the fourth post in http://www.cheftalk.com/t/41684/finishing-a-steak-in-oven (boar_d_laze).  For the salad I do minimal seasoning (salt and a bit of pepper).

You can also do them separately, salad and steak in which case I recommend putting butter in the pan before you sear the steaks and then as soon as you turn them for the second side top them with parmesian cheese mixed with chopped (fresh) basil.  The parmesian/basil mix will crust up nicely in the oven and then while you let the steak rest you can add some garlic to the butter and drippings in the pan for a few minutes and then pour the garlic butter/drippings over the steak when serving.

(Unlike IK's example, this is fast to fix at about 15-20 minutes tops but is only one meal at a time.  It can be frugal if you go the steak-salad route using top sirloin using 4 oz. or pricey using something like a new york an 8-12 oz. serving.)

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Trading carbs for cholesterol? I do agree cook a steak in butter is yummy. A good pesto on a steak is good. I would prefer the pesto on chicken or pork to go on my salad.

I would suggest steamed kale or at least butter lettuce instead of iceberg, as iceberg has little to no nutritional value.

• Like 2

Iceberg does at least have a good amount of vitamin K. :)

I like kale but only chopped up small. Other good alternatives are romaine and red leaf, often sold as "italian blend", arugula or spinach. If you want to simulate a wedge type salad, halving belgian endives is a good way to go.

My endeavors of late have been making soups, even if the weather is not feeling truly fallish yet. Last night I made butternut squash bisque with a garnish of sauteed bacon and shallots.  

• Like 1

All of my recipes are for people with poor culinary skills so bear with me.

2 heads cauliflower

2 cloves garlic

2 cans chicken stock.

1/2 lb bacon

Preheat oven to 450

Cut cauliflower into eights. Toss in olive oil and salt.

Get two cloves garlic and peel

Put on greased cookie sheet.

Bake for one hour.

Place chicken stock in blender add cauliflower and garlic.

Blend until smooth

Pour in bowl.

Cook bacon

Crumble bacon into bowl.

Stir.

Eat with toasted bread.

Feeds 6.

• Like 2

Recipe 3

1 lb ground turkey

2 cups panko

1 cup shredded sage

6 cloves roast garlic

Salt

2 eggs.

Mix eggs, sage garlic salt in bowl with fork.add in panko.

Mix well with fork

Add in half of meat.

Mush together well.

Add rest of meat

Mush together mediocre amount

Form into loaf. Place on greased cookie sheet

Cook on 350 until a toothpick comes out from middle clean.

Slice heirloom tomato place artistically along top.

Serve with smashed russet potatoes and a garlic butter gravy.

Feeds 4.

• Like 2

I tried my hand at Tortillas for the first time with the Mole.  I didn't get them thin enough, but that's to be expected using my hands and not a rolling pin.  They ended up more like little cakes or biscuits as a result.  Nobody complained, but I didn't care for them.  The Pulled Pork was amazing.  I had it on a roll, everyone else ate it like stew.  I would've put taters in had I known.  One person complained about how salty it was, but I hadn't added any water, so it was all reduction full flavor.  I have another chicken to cook later this week or early next week.  I think I'll cut off the meat, and then make my stock with the carcass.  Not sure what i'll do with the meat yet.  

• 3 months later...