2K Space Wolf List Ideas for Elvensword Ambassador Tournament

WestRider

One of the Lists I'm considering for the Elvensword Ambassador Tournament. I've got a couple of Units that I'm not quite sure what I want to so with.

Rune Priest, Lvl 2, Helm of Durfast, Combi-Melta, Meltabombs

10 Grey Hunters, 2xMeltagun, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod, extra CCW
5 Grey Hunters, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Drop Pod, extra CCW
5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Combi-Melta, extra CCW, Drop Pod
5 Blood Claws, Flamer, Storm Wolf w/Multi-Meltas

MurderFang, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, TH/SS
Arjac Rockfist

Land Speeder, Typhoon Launcher

AutoLas Predator, Hunter-Killer Missile
Whirlwind

Void Claw Formation:

5 Wolfguard Terminators, Wolf Claws, 1 Cyclone

First up, the Rune Priest. I picked up the Helm because I like Tempestas, and re-rolling to hit with some of those Witchfires would be nice. Then because he had the Helm, I gave him a Combi-Melta as well, because who doesn't like Twin-Linked, Ignores Cover Melta? But I'm thinking a Plasma Pistol might actually be a better choice. He could get repeated use out of the Helm+Pistol in a lot of situations, while the Combi-Melta is of course just a one time deal. But that one time is rather more threatening. Really don't know on this one.

Next up, the Dread. One of the keys to this list is the Void Claws, with the Re-rolls they provide to Reserves. I'm Joining Arjac to them for some extra protection, but I also want the other stuff that comes down on the initial drop to help. Murderfang definitely provides a threat that needs to be dealt with, but he's also pretty flimsy, and often won't draw that much fire before he drops. I can swap him out for a Ven Dread with Axe and Shield, who should be able to find a good place to drop that will keep most of incoming fire on his Front Arc, where he's got a 3++. But he only has 3 Attacks and no guns, so he's not really a huge threat, and people may just ignore him or tarpit him. I'm leaning to Murderfang, as the guy who will definitely draw fire.

Lastly, the StormWolf. I like having it Dedicated, because between that and the BCs inside, it gives me some really good options for Objective Grabbing late in the Game, once it's safer to Hover. But one of the scenarios has victory conditions that require clearing out entire FOC sections (i.e. kill all your Opponent's FA, that's one point, kill all their Elites, that's another). Moving it to Fast Attack makes my Army a lot more durable in that mission, where otherwise they just need to clear out the one Typhoon, and even with the Void Claws helping to keep it off the table until later, it's pretty easy to kill.

Also, if I move it to Fast Attack, I can ditch the Typhoon entirely, and use the Points to pick up another Lone Wolf or Whirlwind, upgrade the existing Whirlwind to another Predator, or drop the Blood Claws as well, and add another Predator in.

On the other hand, that Mission is Hammer and Anvil Deployment, which, depending on the matchup, might make it a lot easier to keep the Typhoon safe.

I'm leaning toward the list as written, but if anyone has any serious arguments for the other way on any of these, I'm open.

Eh, might as well throw in the TWC DeathStar idea I'm kicking around, too:

Wolves Unleashed Detachment

Harald DeathWolf (Warlord), 2 FenWolves
Wolf Lord, TW, Armour of Russ, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, 1 FenWolf
Wolf Lord, TW, Runic Armour, 2 Wolf Claws, 2 FenWolves

5 Blood Claws, Flamer, StormWolf w/Multi-Meltas
5 Grey Hunters, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Razorback w/TL Lascannon

VenDread, 2xTL Autocannon
Iron Priest, TW

5 TWC, Fist, 2x Storm Shield
Land Speeder, Typhoon Launcher

AutoLas Predator, Hunter-Killer Missile
TriLas Predator, Hunter-Killer Missile

I'm not feeling this one as much, in large part because of that one Scenario. Wanting durable stuff in each FOC slot means cutting down on the TWC DeathStar, which I would otherwise bulk up with another mook, a couple more ICs, and way more ablative FenWolves. Not really getting much mileage out of the Wolves Unleashed detachment, which I just used because it let me get another HQ in. Would be better if I could really leverage that, and maybe have a couple of spare Rune Priests or something to try to get the Troops to Outflank.

It was feeling a little light on dudes, so I think I'm gonna switch it up to this:

Rune Priest, Lvl 2, Helm of Durfast, Combi-Melta

10 Grey Hunters, 2xMeltagun, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod, extra CCW
10 Grey Hunters, 2xPlasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Drop Pod, extra CCW
5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Combi-Melta, extra CCW, Drop Pod
5 Blood Claws

MurderFang, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, TH/SS
Arjac Rockfist

Storm Wolf w/Multi-Meltas

AutoLas Predator
Whirlwind

Void Claw Formation:

5 Wolfguard Terminators, Wolf Claws, 1 Cyclone

Drops a few upgrades and the Typhoon (which still needed to be painted) to bring another pack up to 10 strong and get another Plasmagun in there. Then the StormWolf moves to FA so I'm not empty there, but it's still going to carry the Blood Claws around so I've got a mobile OS Unit.

I stripped out most of the easy Points to clear up getting that other Pack up to 10. I don't really see a way to to pick up another 35 without dropping something I care about. I'd also kind of like to not feel like I have the StormWolf tied down to where the Grey Hunters are getting stuck in combat, let it roam more freely as a trouble-shooter.

Also, that would be more Models to paint, as the list is already using all my Grey Hunters :P

Yeah, the ability to drop in, blast away, and then take a Charge is just great. I wasn't using Pods last time I was down at GM, but I had similar results in a couple of situations jumping out of Rhinos, shooting, and then getting Charged. 31 Attacks when receiving a Charge, after Overwatch, is just brutal. And with 4 things dropping Turn 1 (3 Pods+the Void Claws), that's a lot of threat in people's face right away.

• Like 1

If I ever have to build that many Drop Pods at once again, I'm totally paying someone to do the cleanup on the fins. The rest is fine, but the mold lines and sprue points on the fins are a total pain to deal with.

Anyhow. On to priming.

EDIT: Got 'em primed. That's the last of that. I figure I'll get them, the Predator, the Dread, and the new base for my StormWolf painted this weekend, and knock out the Terminators and the new WG Pack Leader I needed over the course of the week. Add some snow effect to all the bases if I end up with some extra time.

• Like 1

One more week! My big concern is actually running out of grey. I'm definitely going to have to switch over from Adeptus Battlegrey/Codex Grey to Mechanicus Standard/Dawnstone at some point here, and I might run short even then. I can make it stretch, but some things might not match, because they've only got one grey or the other, not the layers they're supposed to.

• Like 1