2K Space Wolf List Ideas for Elvensword Ambassador Tournament

WestRider

I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the guitars on for the tournament or not. They're just stuck on with blu-tac, so it would be kind of a pain to play with them, and they'd fall off all the time, but they do look awesome like that. See, I said it was a great band XD

Have you looked at the Ambassador lists yet?  This is the first year we've posted them ahead of time so the Ambassadors can kinda create their strategies and do their mental reps.  Also lets people who aren't there kinda know what the field looks like.  A lot of the time people always ask what the lists were after a tournament.  Figured this was an easy way to get that question answered ahead of time and afterwards as well since they cant be changed now.  =)

Anywho, would like to hear feedback on it later.

Yeah, Chancey and I were kind of going over them over on the Tyranid Hive. There are only a couple (Eldar and Tau) that really worry me as lists, but I know there are at least a couple of other Players there (like Kingpin), who will be a rough matchup no matter what they're running. I'm really interested in seeing how the bracket ends up playing out, I think that may have a substantial impact.

Yeah, Chancey and I were kind of going over them over on the Tyranid Hive. There are only a couple (Eldar and Tau) that really worry me as lists, but I know there are at least a couple of other Players there (like Kingpin), who will be a rough matchup no matter what they're running. I'm really interested in seeing how the bracket ends up playing out, I think that may have a substantial impact.

Chancy is a cool guy.  So the Tyranid Asteroid was aglow with biofluorescent lighting as Bugs Hive minded together as one?

The Wave Spam are always going to be difficult if you cant quickly engage them in melee and smash their bloody innards out.  Letting them shoot and shoot some more is bad policy.  Lol.

Three Riptides and two Skyrays is no joke.  Tau Empire made it to the finals last time and lost to what was then Imperial Guard on a secret secondary objective.  We shall see whether someone can figure them out again.  Maybe you?  You have a drop army so you're not ill equipped to handle it.  Timing is everything.

It was feeling a little light on dudes, so I think I'm gonna switch it up to this:

Rune Priest, Lvl 2, Helm of Durfast, Combi-Melta

10 Grey Hunters, 2xMeltagun, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod, extra CCW

10 Grey Hunters, 2xPlasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Drop Pod, extra CCW

5 Grey Hunters, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Drop Pod, extra CCW

5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Combi-Melta, extra CCW, Drop Pod

5 Blood Claws

MurderFang, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, TH/SS

Arjac Rockfist

Storm Wolf w/Multi-Meltas

AutoLas Predator

Whirlwind

Void Claw Formation:

5 Wolfguard Terminators, Wolf Claws, 1 Cyclone

Drops a few upgrades and the Typhoon (which still needed to be painted) to bring another pack up to 10 strong and get another Plasmagun in there. Then the StormWolf moves to FA so I'm not empty there, but it's still going to carry the Blood Claws around so I've got a mobile OS Unit.

Looking at this the day after:

- I like this build for a Rune Priest, but not as Warlord. He has to get way too aggressive, and died every time.

- The podded contingent was solid, did good work for me every time. I did completely forget about the Locator Beacon on Murderface's pod, tho, which could have made a difference in that last Game, and might have changed how I approached a couple of things in the earlier Games.

- Murderface did about as expected. Didn't make it into Combat much, but when he did, he ripped stuff up.

- Lone Wolf was solid. If you ignore Game 1 (where he died to a couple of Nurglings before striking) and Game 2 (which was over on Turn 2, so he didn't get a chance to do anything), he was actually pretty good, providing significant pressure while being hard to justify targeting in Game 3, and killing an Exocrine and keeping a bunch of Gaunts tied up in the backfield for most of Game 4.

- Predator and Whirlwind were unimpressive. If it weren't for the "Clear FOC Slots" Objective in Game 3, I would much rather have had another Pod. And since my Opponent did end up clearing my HS in that Mission anyhow, I probably should have just bitten the bullet and gone for it. The way the Points work out, that would have given me another Pod with like 7 GH in it, which would have given me a better place for the Rune Priest, too.

- Void Claws were excellent. The re-rolls were used every Game, having another Unit that can come down with the Pods is great, and they provide another solid CC threat. In this set of matchups, they mostly got hit with lots of Torrent firepower, and didn't have to go up against any truly hard targets, so Arjac was kind of wasted, but there are other matchups where he'd be crucial, so I think I'd leave him in for a TAC list.

• Like 1

Round 1 vs. Chaos Daemons:

His 3 Objectives were more or less on a line from the center of the board back to my corner. I dropped mine in a triangle, as close together as possible, given the big chunk of ice spikes in the middle of his DZ.

Big LoS blocker in the middle of the table. He castled up behind that, with the Soul Grinder front and center, Hounds on each flank, Crushers and Tzeentch stuff in the middle. Nurglings, Plague Bearers, and Daemonettes Deep Striking. He goes first, shuffles around a little and shoots ineffectually at my Predator.

I do my standard setup, with the Predator back with a decent field of fire, Whirlwind out of LoS. First wave is the Void Claws, both Melta Packs (Rune Priest with the smaller), and Murderface. I come in to try to take out the Soul Grinder first thing, but the big Melta Pack scatters way the hell out of range, so I have to use the Rune Priest's Pack for it. Thunderclap hits like 5 things, and Living Lightning finishes off one of the Flamer Units for First Blood. RP and friends don't quite manage to kill off the Soul Grinder, everyone else goes after Hounds, killing a few.

His turn 2, my Rune Priest eats a couple of Bloodcrushers to the face, giving up Warlord. Hounds Charge my big Melta Pack and kill some, but get mauled in return. Nurglings drop in near the Objectives in my DZ. I drop my Lone Wolf back to deal with the Nurglings, the two Plasma Packs over on the other flank, and the StormWolf comes in. I don't remember exactly what shot what, but between it all, I finished off the Soul Grinder and Immobilized the Skull Cannon. Then Murderface got to Charge and wiped out the BloodCrushers, while the Void Claws and GH finished off the Hounds.

Details of timing get hazy after that, but one of the Nurgling packs managed to kill off my Lone Wolf before he even got to swing, leaving my backfield pretty empty. Secondary Objectives dropped in the two "neutral" corners, and his Plague Bearers and Daemonettes dropped on them. The big Plasma Pack managed to hold out against those Hounds long enough for the Blood Claws to jump out of the StormWolf and bail them out. Screamers killed off Murderface, and finished off the last Melta GH, but then got wiped in turn by the Void Claws. StormWolf dropped the Burning Chariot at some point. The real kicker, tho, was the three remaining GH from the small Plasma Pack, who just went nuts, clearing three of the four Nurgling packs in my backfield. The Predator managed to get the last one before FateWeaver killed it, but he was too far away to claim one, so in the end I took it with two Primaries, one Tertiary, First Blood, and Linebreaker, vs. both Secondaries and Warlord.

Game 2 against Storm Troopers.

He tried to go hard reserves to deny my Pods targets, but it didn't end up working out too well. I dropped in so a Pod was closest to the Redoubt, and then went to work on it. The big Melta Pack stripped a couple of HP, messed up some of the dudes, and reduced it to AV11. That then let the Cyclone and Predator finish it off, along with the Squad inside, so he was down to just 5 Storm Troopers. He got one or two things in on his Turn 2, but his Ground Assault Formation, comprising something like half of his Army, stayed off. He did a bit of damage, but he only had 10 Stormies and a Valkyrie left on the table, and with all my Reserves coming in, I was able to drop the Valk (all the guys inside died in the crash), and then clear off the last few guys for a Turn 2 tabling. My score actually ended up being pretty low on this one, because there was only one Primary Objective, and the Tertiary built over the course of the Game, so with only 2 Turns, I didn't have time to pick up that many Points from it.

Round 3 was the one I was really worried about, against Eldar. Fairly open board, lots of Area Terrain, but only two towers, one on each end, that actually blocked LoS.

First turn, he spread everything out along one long Board Edge so I couldn't get any rear shots. I did reasonably well with my Scatters, getting to the point where I was able to put serious firepower on each of the Fire Prisms, Immobilizing one and forcing all three of them to Jink. I also had a bunch of good Charges available for the next Turn, so he had to go Flat Out with everything except the Immobilized one to keep from getting dragged down.

He clustered on the edge of my DZ, with all the rear armour in the middle of the huddle. I brought a couple of things in to try to take advantage of the cluster to block and wreck Transports, but didn't manage it. The rest of my Reserves went central, to try to be able to keep the pressure on no matter where he went. Did some damage here and there, and got Charges off that finished off two of the Fire Prisms (might have been all three this Turn, I don't remember).

Turn three, he zoomed off for the other long Board Edge, the last place that was out of my Charge Range. I managed to crack open the Wave Serpent with his HQs in it and started whittling down the Guardians with them. All three Prisms were definitely down by this point. His Hawks came in, and I tried to hit them with the Whirlwind, but scattered off.

Turn 4, he was out of room to run, and started fighting back. The remaining Wave Serpents managed to down my StormWolf, and he took out one of my smaller GH Packs. I was almost able to surround and wreck two Serpents, but didn't quite have the Charge distance, so he was able to save at least some of each Squad. I also gunned down his last couple of Guardians with the HQs, followed by the HQs themselves.

Turn 5, between some long-range fire and the Fire Dragons, he was able to kill both my Tanks, but I took out the Swooping Hawks in return, and finished off those Fire Dragons and the Guardians who spilled out of the other Wave Serpent I'd wrecked.

Turn 6, his remaining firepower managed to drop my Rune Priest, but Murderface finally made a Charge and took out one of the last two Serpents, while the Lone Wolf took a couple of HP off the other one. And the Game ended there, with me ahead by the Secondary, several Tertiaries, and First Blood, Linebreaker, and Warlord.

Game 4: I dunno, man. I was crashing pretty hard by this point. Mostly what I remember is that I dropped stuff in and it killed some stuff, but not as much as it needed to, and then died. The one part of my plan that really went right was dropping in my Rune Priest and taking advantage of his Witchfires and the Helm of Durfast's Ignore Cover to take out his Venomthrope first thing. Wish I'd had Thunderclap in this one, there were like 7 or 8 Units within 9" of where I dropped.

Other than that, I basically wasn't really thinking well enough to plan ahead, just sort of going for instinctive targets. I definitely should have hit his Termagants harder right off the bat, should have kept more compact so he got in his own way to some extent. When he gets his side of it written up, I'll link that.

• Like 2

Thinking about this some more, the other mistake I made out of habit was dropping the Melta Packs as the first wave. Against Nids, the Plasma Packs would have made for a stronger Alpha Strike, and that, along with better concentrating my forces and firepower, might have let me drop a Flyrant Turn 1, which definitely would have made a difference.

Round 1 vs. Chaos Daemons:

His 3 Objectives were more or less on a line from the center of the board back to my corner. I dropped mine in a triangle, as close together as possible, given the big chunk of ice spikes in the middle of his DZ.

Big LoS blocker in the middle of the table. He castled up behind that, with the Soul Grinder front and center, Hounds on each flank, Crushers and Tzeentch stuff in the middle. Nurglings, Plague Bearers, and Daemonettes Deep Striking. He goes first, shuffles around a little and shoots ineffectually at my Predator.

I do my standard setup, with the Predator back with a decent field of fire, Whirlwind out of LoS. First wave is the Void Claws, both Melta Packs (Rune Priest with the smaller), and Murderface. I come in to try to take out the Soul Grinder first thing, but the big Melta Pack scatters way the hell out of range, so I have to use the Rune Priest's Pack for it. Thunderclap hits like 5 things, and Living Lightning finishes off one of the Flamer Units for First Blood. RP and friends don't quite manage to kill off the Soul Grinder, everyone else goes after Hounds, killing a few.

His turn 2, my Rune Priest eats a couple of Bloodcrushers to the face, giving up Warlord. Hounds Charge my big Melta Pack and kill some, but get mauled in return. Nurglings drop in near the Objectives in my DZ. I drop my Lone Wolf back to deal with the Nurglings, the two Plasma Packs over on the other flank, and the StormWolf comes in. I don't remember exactly what shot what, but between it all, I finished off the Soul Grinder and Immobilized the Skull Cannon. Then Murderface got to Charge and wiped out the BloodCrushers, while the Void Claws and GH finished off the Hounds.

Details of timing get hazy after that, but one of the Nurgling packs managed to kill off my Lone Wolf before he even got to swing, leaving my backfield pretty empty. Secondary Objectives dropped in the two "neutral" corners, and his Plague Bearers and Daemonettes dropped on them. The big Plasma Pack managed to hold out against those Hounds long enough for the Blood Claws to jump out of the StormWolf and bail them out. Screamers killed off Murderface, and finished off the last Melta GH, but then got wiped in turn by the Void Claws. StormWolf dropped the Burning Chariot at some point. The real kicker, tho, was the three remaining GH from the small Plasma Pack, who just went nuts, clearing three of the four Nurgling packs in my backfield. The Predator managed to get the last one before FateWeaver killed it, but he was too far away to claim one, so in the end I took it with two Primaries, one Tertiary, First Blood, and Linebreaker, vs. both Secondaries and Warlord.

Game 2 against Storm Troopers.

He tried to go hard reserves to deny my Pods targets, but it didn't end up working out too well. I dropped in so a Pod was closest to the Redoubt, and then went to work on it. The big Melta Pack stripped a couple of HP, messed up some of the dudes, and reduced it to AV11. That then let the Cyclone and Predator finish it off, along with the Squad inside, so he was down to just 5 Storm Troopers. He got one or two things in on his Turn 2, but his Ground Assault Formation, comprising something like half of his Army, stayed off. He did a bit of damage, but he only had 10 Stormies and a Valkyrie left on the table, and with all my Reserves coming in, I was able to drop the Valk (all the guys inside died in the crash), and then clear off the last few guys for a Turn 2 tabling. My score actually ended up being pretty low on this one, because there was only one Primary Objective, and the Tertiary built over the course of the Game, so with only 2 Turns, I didn't have time to pick up that many Points from it.

Round 3 was the one I was really worried about, against Eldar. Fairly open board, lots of Area Terrain, but only two towers, one on each end, that actually blocked LoS.

First turn, he spread everything out along one long Board Edge so I couldn't get any rear shots. I did reasonably well with my Scatters, getting to the point where I was able to put serious firepower on each of the Fire Prisms, Immobilizing one and forcing all three of them to Jink. I also had a bunch of good Charges available for the next Turn, so he had to go Flat Out with everything except the Immobilized one to keep from getting dragged down.

He clustered on the edge of my DZ, with all the rear armour in the middle of the huddle. I brought a couple of things in to try to take advantage of the cluster to block and wreck Transports, but didn't manage it. The rest of my Reserves went central, to try to be able to keep the pressure on no matter where he went. Did some damage here and there, and got Charges off that finished off two of the Fire Prisms (might have been all three this Turn, I don't remember).

Turn three, he zoomed off for the other long Board Edge, the last place that was out of my Charge Range. I managed to crack open the Wave Serpent with his HQs in it and started whittling down the Guardians with them. All three Prisms were definitely down by this point. His Hawks came in, and I tried to hit them with the Whirlwind, but scattered off.

Turn 4, he was out of room to run, and started fighting back. The remaining Wave Serpents managed to down my StormWolf, and he took out one of my smaller GH Packs. I was almost able to surround and wreck two Serpents, but didn't quite have the Charge distance, so he was able to save at least some of each Squad. I also gunned down his last couple of Guardians with the HQs, followed by the HQs themselves.

Turn 5, between some long-range fire and the Fire Dragons, he was able to kill both my Tanks, but I took out the Swooping Hawks in return, and finished off those Fire Dragons and the Guardians who spilled out of the other Wave Serpent I'd wrecked.

Turn 6, his remaining firepower managed to drop my Rune Priest, but Murderface finally made a Charge and took out one of the last two Serpents, while the Lone Wolf took a couple of HP off the other one. And the Game ended there, with me ahead by the Secondary, several Tertiaries, and First Blood, Linebreaker, and Warlord.

Game 4: I dunno, man. I was crashing pretty hard by this point. Mostly what I remember is that I dropped stuff in and it killed some stuff, but not as much as it needed to, and then died. The one part of my plan that really went right was dropping in my Rune Priest and taking advantage of his Witchfires and the Helm of Durfast's Ignore Cover to take out his Venomthrope first thing. Wish I'd had Thunderclap in this one, there were like 7 or 8 Units within 9" of where I dropped.

Other than that, I basically wasn't really thinking well enough to plan ahead, just sort of going for instinctive targets. I definitely should have hit his Termagants harder right off the bat, should have kept more compact so he got in his own way to some extent. When he gets his side of it written up, I'll link that.

cool.  Also the game was recorded so you should be able to write things up with the hep of it.

Lunch AND beverages!

I was pretty excited about the lunch thing this year.  We fed our Ambassadors Subway the year before, plus all the chips and DELICIOUS salsa anyone could want.  Everyone liked that, but I wanted to step it up and get us some really real food!  Bringing the food to the Ambassadors, as befits their station, also created a much shorter (but very filling) meal time.  Teriyaki is good even an hour or two later if yer eyes got bigger than your tummy.  Let's you get back to the fighting.

I'm also pretty excited about doing the banners for next year as well (details to be forthcoming).  Those have been a goal for a while but I have always seemed to be short on finding the person who can do them to the standard I want them.  But when finished...  Oh baby.

Next year, the goal IS to make it a two day event.  We were pretty close to pulling it off this year as I probably mentioned elsewhere, but you know what they say about "close".  It was heart breakingly close too.

...And Ambassador WestRyder will be there to impose his will.

• Like 2

yeah.  What will probably happen is, next year we will try to run a dual bracket if we can pull it off and then at THAT point merge them in 2016 if we manage that goal.  Which means we could be two years away from a two day event, now that I really think about it.  The Tournament theme is such a different event in the way it works, It's all up to the players basically.  It's not something we can force. 

Hey WestRyder, what force do you think you would play next year?  No commitments, but what's on your mind right now?