Road To LVO! CaptainA's Battle Log Preparedness Journal

CaptainA

So to get ready for the LVO (have my hotel and ticket secured) I decided to to go all out this year and see what is the best I can do.

I would consider myself above average in playing, but I know one thing that hampers me is that I don't like playing the same thing over and over. I tend to focus on an army for a bit then switch over to something else soon. Usually too soon before I can really master it.

I also decided to take the grossest list I can muster with what I have to give me an edge that way as well. The list is centered (heh CENTered) upon the Centstar.

Draigo gives Gate of Infinity

Tigurius has typically been going for Perfect Timing

Librarian goes for Invisibility or Perfect Timing if TIggy fails it (which he has like 3 out of the last 5 games)

They all go with three Centurions with Grav Cannons and Omniscope

This star is backed up by two Dreadknights as bodyguards.

That is the core of the list and the rest has changed quite a bit.

I played a version of it at the Ordo Open and went 2-1. I lost to an Eldar player with a ton of ap2. I almost lost to Eben's Stormwolfchickenjerkface flying things but managed to pull it out.

Here are two versions of the list.

Version 1

GK - Nemesis Strike

Librarian - Hammer/ML3

Draigo

5 Terminators - 4 Halberds 1 Hammer 1 Psycannon

Stormraven

Dreadknight - Sword/Incinerator

Dreadknight - Sword/Psycannon

Space Marines - CAD

Tiggy

6 Scouts 2 Sniper

6 Scouts 3 Sniper

3 Centurions - Omniscope/3 Grav

Thunderfire Cannon

Version 2

GK - Nemesis Strike

Librarian - Hammer/ML3

Draigo

5 Terminators - 4 Halberds 1 Hammer

Dreadknight - Sword/Incinerator

Dreadknight - Sword/Psycannon

Space Marine - CAD

Tiggy

5 Scouts 1 Sniper

5 Scouts 1 Sniper

Stormtalon - Skyhammer

Stormtalon - Skyhammer

3 Centurions - Omniscope/3 Grav

Thunderfire Cannon

I plan on posting my games and tweaks as I go on. Constructive feedback welcome!

• Like 2

So I played Version 2 against a Space Wolf player last night.

He was running razorback spam with a somewhat softer list. The centstar ran roughshod on him even after getting mishapped and stuck in the corner turn one. He did have some miserable dice rolls though.

Stormtalons got lucky and killed his Stormgunner (heavy version) in one round of volleys from both Stormtalons (previous turn the centstar fired with prescience and didn't get a hit!).

Things i learned:

Can't use the cool GK warlord trait the lets warlord deep strike turn one....tiggy and cents cant deep strike! Doh!

Don't mishap with the Centstar! Plan the Dreadknights move ahead of time to give them space.

OK, not that I anticipate you'll face anything like the kinds of lists I bring, but how would you deal with green tide orks or massive blobs of guardsmen with power axes?  

Not being snarky, I'm just interested.

I think that is a very valid point.

I'm not quite sure as we don't have a ton of players doing that.

Centstar will still have some hops as they also have Hurrican bolters, 9 shots at 24 and 18 at 12. Both should make a big dent in an ork squad. I'd probably avoid certain elements of the guard blob and center on them last.

As far as which list, I like the second. Gain a little flexibility with 2 flyers vs just the 1.

Not being able to DS the star shouldn't be an issue with gate as it does roughly the same thing :) Also, having them on the table turn 1 could let you (to a limited degree) influence your opponents deployment with perceived threat.

As far as having issues with horde, the list is like any other. Strong against lots of builds, and needing a little finess vs others. Comes down to player/mission/dice imo.

With LVO being competitive how would you handle other current meta strong list?

Eldar? Serpent spam n Wknights.

Tau? Dice dice and more dice.

Deamons? Lots of big psychic crap all over, possibly (or not, blessings, lol) disrupting your stars mobility.

Any mix of the above?

Have you looked at sanctuary (sanctic)? Not huge but would take draigo to super tank levels (2++).

Have you looked at the FW lib that auto grants invis? (I think :)

Jy2 (dakka/40k/batreps) is trying a similar (centstar) list, if you need more similar data.

Your list looks fun and mean :p I'm eager to see how it performs. Keep us posted :)

As far as which list, I like the second. Gain a little flexibility with 2 flyers vs just the 1.

Not being able to DS the star shouldn't be an issue with gate as it does roughly the same thing :) Also, having them on the table turn 1 could let you (to a limited degree) influence your opponents deployment with perceived threat.

As far as having issues with horde, the list is like any other. Strong against lots of builds, and needing a little finess vs others. Comes down to player/mission/dice imo.

With LVO being competitive how would you handle other current meta strong list?

Eldar? Serpent spam n Wknights.

Tau? Dice dice and more dice.

Deamons? Lots of big psychic crap all over, possibly (or not, blessings, lol) disrupting your stars mobility.

Any mix of the above?

Have you looked at sanctuary (sanctic)? Not huge but would take draigo to super tank levels (2++).

Have you looked at the FW lib that auto grants invis? (I think :)

Jy2 (dakka/40k/batreps) is trying a similar (centstar) list, if you need more similar data.

Your list looks fun and mean :p I'm eager to see how it performs. Keep us posted :)

Thanks for the post! Good though provoking stuff.

Saw Jy2's stuff. I totally hear the invis thing, but I'm really thinking Tyranids are going to be one of the harder matchups and to have a good chance against them, I need perfect timing IMO. Its a trade off of durabilityvs killing. If I think I don't need perfect timing, then I can go for invis with tiggy and libby.

I'm leaning towards list 2 as well.

Eldar? Serpent spam n Wknights. - Did pretty well against a Serpent spam list. Again with Pefect timing I think I could really impact them more.

Tau? Dice dice and more dice. - At least I know what those jerks do. Man I hate Tau. I think I'd focus on the stuff that can kill the star first and put pressure on him with CC.

Deamons? - That one will be interesting as I think we will both be cancelling powers unless I hit a summoning list with 30dice. I would probably try to hold the center and focus on killing what I can. Let flyers hit the others.

3 Cents do not make a centstar :p  

Joking aside, seems like a lot of support elements for just 3 centurions.  I get that points are tight to get the other goodies on top of the centstar but still, you are investing 600 odd points for about half that many points in cents.  If I am gonna throw that much into a star I want more umph out of it.  For 3 cents the SW drop list makes a bit more sense, then its just a single psycher and the pod as investment.  

3 Cents do not make a centstar :p  

Joking aside, seems like a lot of support elements for just 3 centurions.  I get that points are tight to get the other goodies on top of the centstar but still, you are investing 600 odd points for about half that many points in cents.  If I am gonna throw that much into a star I want more umph out of it.  For 3 cents the SW drop list makes a bit more sense, then its just a single psycher and the pod as investment.  

Sure, I've thought of that as well, but would probably need some Stormwolves to make that work better. Also, against Wave Serpent spam, they just spend a turn running away and I'm kinda sunk.

Three Centurions has seemed to be a solid amount of firepower that will kill most things in one volley.