Road To LVO! CaptainA's Battle Log Preparedness Journal

CaptainA

Against infantry blobs the Cents are actually pretty decent- Orks (with 6+ armor) are a bit annoying, but Guardsmen aren't too bad; outside of 12", it kills ~15 models per turn, plus whatever psychic powers (i.e. Psychic Shriek) add in. Hardly perfect, but it's a start.

Yeah, the hurricane bolters sure help.  Ork boyz seem a pseudo hard counter considering they kill only 2 with the gravs and 7-8 with the Hurricanes (within 12").  10 casualties is pretty sexy, no doubt, but they can absorb it and counter attack, and if they can dogpile them, then they are stuck and not shooting.  

Anyway, CaptainA, I'd really like to get a Vassal game against this list.  

Yeah, the hurricane bolters sure help.  Ork boyz seem a pseudo hard counter considering they kill only 2 with the gravs and 7-8 with the Hurricanes (within 12").  10 casualties is pretty sexy, no doubt, but they can absorb it and counter attack, and if they can dogpile them, then they are stuck and not shooting.  

Wouldn't they just be able to Gate out of combat?

So I got a chance to go to Dice Age games and play in a three round tourney over there. Had a good time. Went 2-1, ate some Hawaiian BBQ, and did some more list tweaking with Ben C.

Game one:

Played Joe and his crazy Grot Tank Kan Wall Bike List.

10710850_10152732137744500_3233967671369

I was a bit worried about how much shooting his tanks could put out, but with their 2d6 move, Mork was pretty displeased with Joe. He didn't get the speed he need to close in on my star. I was able to take out both bike squads with his warlord and plink away at the kans and tanks over time. His army is hillarious and will be really cool when it is done. Little luck and he would have been on me a lot sooner and could have swayed things I think.

Game two:

Played George and his wave serpent spam with 2 wraithknights and an Imperial knight...ya know...for backup!

10710704_10152732137954500_3331681919091

Great game! My biggest mistake was not going all in for invisibility. I had tried to get invisibility with Tiggy, but failed, then switched to div with the Librarian. In hindsight, I should have stuck with invis to protect the centstar.

He made me go first and I was able to take a Wraithknight out first turn. He countered by plinking away at my centstar and I was rolling ones like a boss. Lost two cents from shooting. Then his Iknight charged my dreadknight. I did four hull points and could have taken him out with some sixes on the vehicle damage chart, but didn't get it. Then George rolled that six to wound and my dreadknight was toast. Later my other dreadknight got force and sanctuary up and took out his other wraithknight. Key turn his Imperial knight failed to charge my centstar and my dreadknight got to charge his imperial knight. He had one hull point left after a lucky six with my incinerator in his rear armor the dreadknight easily took the last hull point off. George rolled his attacks and got one hit....then...a six! Crap! Dreadknight was dead. After that I had some chances with my stormtalons, but the wave serpents were able to take out my troops and shrug off the talons attacks.Great game overall, but a loss.

Game Three:

Game three was vs Bishops mishmash dark angels. he hadn't planned on playing and didn't bring most of his stuff. So it was a pretty mismatched account. I had invisibility and perfect timing, but didn't even try to do invis as that would have been too much. As it was it was a kill points mission and I was able to take things out pretty quickly.

So in talking with Ben a bit I came up with a new version.

Grey Knights with Red Scorpoions Allies

Grey Knights  CAD

Librarian Hammer/ML3

5 Strike Squad 1 hammer

5 Termies 5 Halberds

Dreadknight Hammer/Incinerator/Teleporter

Draigo

Red Scorpoions Allies

Sevrin Loth

5 Scouts

3 Centurions Grav/Omniscope

1 Stormtalon

• Like 1

Oh man, just red up on Loth.  HOLY COW, that guy is bananas!  

The Armour of Selket: This is a suit of artificer armour 

that incorporates a psychic hood. In addition, the wearer 
can use their own psychic energies to empower the suit’s 
defences further. At the beginning of his player turn, 
by expending a Warp Charge, Loth’s 2+ Armour save 
becomes a 2+ Invulnerable save which lasts until the 
beginning of his controlling player’s next player turn.

Master Psyker: Loth may select (rather than randomly roll) 
three psychic powers from one of the following Psychic 
disciplines (see the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, page 
418): 

• Biomancy
• Telepathy
• Telekinesis

All powers must be selected from the same discipline 
before the beginning of the game.

Warlord: If Sevrin Loth is an army’s Warlord then he does 
not roll on the Warlord Traits table, but instead receives 
the following unique Warlord trait:

• Witch-Bane: The army gains 1 Victory point for each 
enemy with the Psyker Universal special rule and 
Character sub-type slain by Sevrin Loth.

Remember you have to pull all three of your powers from a single discipline, Cap. You can't get Gate, Invis, AND Prescience all at once. (Also, Gate is part of the Sanctic discipline now, so he can't even get it.)

Loth is really good, though; the reliability of his power generation is huge.

Yeah what Pretre said.

Draigo - Auto Gate

Loth - Auto Invisibility

Libby - Auto Prescience

Ah, okay, I misunderstood. I saw a number of folks try to pick Gate/Invis/Prescience for their three powers back during 6th.

I like the new version of the army more, but I wonder if it might be worthwhile to use the Nemesis detachment. You do lose out on the third Dreadknight, but it cuts your required troops down to one (and the GKSS aren't really doing anything for you.) That would also make adding Heavy Psycannons to the DKs an option, since the Teleporter wouldn't be as needed (though you could still potentially keep it.)

I'd definitely go with a Psycannon on the Terminators over Halberds, since you really need all the diversity of shooting you can get.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood. I saw a number of folks try to pick Gate/Invis/Prescience for their three powers back during 6th.

I like the new version of the army more, but I wonder if it might be worthwhile to use the Nemesis detachment. You do lose out on the third Dreadknight, but it cuts your required troops down to one (and the GKSS aren't really doing anything for you.) That would also make adding Heavy Psycannons to the DKs an option, since the Teleporter wouldn't be as needed (though you could still potentially keep it.)

I'd definitely go with a Psycannon on the Terminators over Halberds, since you really need all the diversity of shooting you can get.

I had been using the Nemesis, but really want that third Dreadknight as they are such key pieces that take care of all kinds of large things like Wraithknights, Imperial Knights, Land raiders, MC's etc.

The teleporters need to be there are the jump move is so clutch. The shunt move is nice, but I rarely use it. I'll try the psycannons as I know I need to use them as backfield holders instead of frontline troops. I'm going to need them to get maelstrom missions.