Pretre's 1850 Guardian Cup discussion

pretre

I'm kinda thinking I may want to swap harald for another lord. Someone who strikes at Init. I have a lot of S10 Init 1 in the unit already. I can get a Wolf Lord with SS/WC for the same points as Herald. It loses me the guaranteed trait, but I'm probably going to use Celestine as my warlord already. It also loses me immunity to pyro and outflank, but I can't see myself using those much. Thoughts?

I could also go for a WGBL with Morkai's  Claws and the Teeth. I think that would bring me to 160. 30 point savings.

SOB CAD

St Celestine

Priest

BSS (5) with Flamer/Melta in Repressor

BSS (5) with Flamer/Melta in Repressor

Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in Repressor

Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in Repressor

Exorcist

Exorcist

Retributors (5) with 4 heavy flamer and combi

COF Detachment

Harald

Iron Priest with TW Mount

Iron Priest with TW Mount

Thunderwolf x4 (SS/WC, SS/CCW, PF, BP/CCW)

Drop Pod

Okay, so everything is pretty much painted except the two iron priests and the psyker for the front of one repressor. I'm borrowing one Drop Pod, but I could certainly paint and assemble a new one (I have one NIB). I still need to finish magnetizing bases and such, but I'm well on track.

As an aside, re: Harald

I could run the following by dropping one Dominion repressor to a Immolator

Wolf Lord, TWM, Krakenbone Sword (Mastercrafted, +1S, AP2, At Init), Stormshield

or

Wolf Lord, TWM, Wolf Claw (+1 S, AP3, Shred), Fellclaw's Teeth (reroll all hits), Stormshield

Keep in mind that I will be running Celestine as the warlord so his trait loss isn't a big deal. I kinda like the idea of the Krakenbone Sword. It fits his name 'Krakenbeard'. :) The Mastercraft is probably almost as good as Fellclaw's considering he's hitting on 3's anyways against most things. Being at init and AP2 is just gravy. I would need to find a good right handed sword for him to represent the Krakenbone Sword and magnetize it, however.

Stupid no right handed swords for space wolves. I made a lance/sword out of a Thunderhammer arm and a cool metal sword that I had lying around though. Now to magnetize and paint. Krakenbeard has got to be the most magnetized dude I have. Right now he has Wolf Claw, Thunder Hammer and Axe arms all sitting around and now he gets a sword. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Okay, so quick and dirty recap. I made it to GC with my sisters list as I wrote above.

First, Chris A's Imperial Fists with Bikes, Grav Cents, TFC, the FW tall dread, rifleman, Eternal Shield Bike Lord and a knight. Kill Points with Secondary Maelstrom. Tabled the IF on turn 3. Full points. I got first turn and just overloaded him with targets. The Rets dropped in and killed a Dev squad for first blood (failing rending). Took off 3 or 4 HP on the knight turn 1. Got a nice charge with TWC (split into several attacks) on a good chunk of the army turn 2 and that was really that. It was a good game, but Chris A was just not able to recover from my early advances.

Second, MrMoreTank's White Scars (Bikes with Melta or Grav, Khan, Sicaran) with Guard (Blob, Yarrick, Wyvern). Big Guns with Secondary Maelstrom. He conceded on Turn 3. Full points. Got first turn. We played scout dance and I managed to pull off 2 of my three TWC charges on 9-10 inch charges. Rets dropped some 28 wounds turn one (no rending again) and 30 something turn two on the blob. (Poor Khan tanked a ton of wounds, but eventually went down to flamers). Ben just couldn't catch up from my early luck and I just kept pressing him. Yarrick popped up and charged Celestine turn 3 and she killed him with Wall of Death. That was that.

Third, Karl's Salamanders with Pods (6 pods, 1 command squad, 5 troop pods, LOTD squad, TFC) and Castigator. Crusade with Secondary Maelstrom. Game timed out on turn 5 with me getting 8 of 10 points (couldn't kill Vulkan and he got first blood). I gave him first turn and castled up in a corner. He got first blood (of course) and I counter charged. My first turn was pretty bad. The rets dropped into his backfield to try to take out his TFC (and get some maelstrom) they got rending but failed to put a single wound down (drop pod did get in contest range of his objective). Back and forth for a couple turns but the important part was that my luck returned (including my TWC champ tanking 15+ shooting wounds in one turn without a single fail) and he just couldn't catch a break. By the end of the game, my doms and the exos took down the castigator. Celestine hit and ran to go try for Vulkan (who dropped way away from the action to take care of the rets) and just couldn't take him down. I ended up holding one and contesting two at the end and was way ahead on maelstrom. 8 of 10 points (no STW or First Blood). Karl really gave me a rough game but his luck just didn't hold out and I pushed him hard.

I got 28 battle points, but missed General by 1 (Bryan got 29) and Joel got Overall by 1. Gah! If only I could have killed Vulkan. :)

• Like 1