So, I'm getting back into fantasy after many a year. Finally convinced my local club special characters can be fun and I want to use Skarsnik. With those stated I have some interesting rules questions that came up in game last night.

Know Skarsnik is monstrous infantry and is on a big base 40x60 mm. He ranks fine but is really easy to force into the second rank. He has a split profile with Gobbla. Each has a WS, different strength, and 4 attacks, Gobbla has killing blow but a lower initiative.

Big question is how many (edit) supporting (edit) attacks can come from this combined model? 3 total, 3 per stat line, which stat line can I use, can I split attacks? All the questions!

Skarsnik is very squishy at WS 5 T4 big base only light armor with 6 wounds

• Like 1

Four per statline. So eight attacks total. Think of it like a mounted character. And honestly non-named characters can get this and more with better protection, so this is not OP in anyway.

Yes you can split his attacks if he is not in a challenge. You use one statline for 4 attacks and the other for the rest. Also his is not Monstrous Infantry, just Infantry. So hello Look Out Sir.

I will say I have always wanted to try him out in a Night Gobbo army but haven't had the chance yet. Our club too has not allowed named characters yet but that might change soon. Of course I want to run Grimgor first.

• Like 2

@sherbet, why the higher initiative? Magic weapon Str 4 attacks at ini 5 are easily worse thanstr. 6 with killing blow.

Because you fight in initiative order when fighting the combat. So Skarsnik would go at his initiative step. Then you keep going down to steps. Then you get to the Squig and can't attack with them because the model has already made it's available attacks allotment given it's unit type (Monsterous Infantry)

Sadly you do not get to keep both better combat abilities and protection from anything striking back. It's one or the other. One might reference something about a cake here

• Like 2

Yes you can.

p31 - "A Wizard can only cast a magic missile at a target that lies within his forward arc and to which he can trace line of sight (just as if the wizard was firing a missile weapon)."

p39 - "models in the second rank can use the line of sight and forward arc of the model directly in front of them for the purposes of all shooting attacks."

Thanks for the tips I'm working on getting somethings together. My list features Skarsnik and a lvl 4 night goblin wizard as lords. I'm toying with the idea of a warboss (night gobo) to actually make challenges difficult for my opponent, something like fencers blades, and glittering scales for regular 6+ to hit if nuisance goes off...then a 5+ ward. It all fits in 2500 would this be worth it?

Honestly I believe you should keep those hero gobos cheap and just take several. They will lose almost any challenge they get into but are there to take challenges to keep Skarsnik out of them.

The problem with gobos is that they will not win a one on one fight and die in droves, played them a couple years back, but they are dirt cheap and getting off a combo charge should not be an issue. (Sneaky Stabbing for the flank charge.)

Are you going with a Night Gobo list or is it mixed greens?

Night gobos heavy on squigs and random movement. I'm finding even with ranks and flanks I got out killed. By enough I was losing. The unit would have 9 big bosses with great weapons to actually pound face. I have a personally hard time lining up multiple units and luck always screws me with the animosity. So I'm working with some different things... I had to many heroes with magic extra attack weapons trying just lots of str 6 crush soon. I have 145 points and no deployment space... Which is why I'm considering the three wound guy to try and soak bigger uglies even if he goes down every point matters I was only 3 points down a couple of times, against big nasty chaos the switch to great weapon cheapo guys. I think will make a big difference