Amphibians in space ships

KAPcom

Well, really, Salamanders in drop pods. Anyways, trying out some new things, wondering what your thoughts are on a list along these lines. Looking to be fairly competitive, so any feedback is appreciated.

salamanders: 1750

Vulkan

Command squad (5x melta guns, pod)

Sterguard (2x heavy flamers, pod)

Sterguard (2x heavy flamers, pod)

Tactical (5 man, melta, combi melta, pod)

Thunderfire cannon

Knight-Castigator

There's a few extra points, but nothing big.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the cookie-cutter nature of the list, not too thrilling to play/play against IMO.  That said...

If you're looking to maximize killiness, you might consider replacing one or both sternguard squads with 5 man assault and dual flamers.  Huge point savings to the point that you can fit 3 assault squads for those two sternguard and the re-rolls for flamers mean you're likely only losing out on a couple wounds and AP4.  You can use the remaining points to give combi weapons to tac sergeants and/or add bodies to those squads so you can live to see turn 3 when you're landing inside double-tap range of every gun your opponent has.

Fun/fluffy or competitive, I think you'll have issues going for late game random objectives, but that is the nature of a pods list since aside from the knight, you're without significant mobility after arrival.

I don't think salamanders are anphibians in the contex that GW is using them. I think they are refering to the fire-breathing lizard, which doesn't really qualify as either an anphibian or reptile...I think D&D is in the right when they classify such beasts as "magical animal" and don't even attempt further scientific analysis. 

Sorry that the Salamanders gw is referencing are not amphibians... Anyways, clarification time:

-stern are 5 man squads, maybe I'll make 'em bigger with the extra points

-Also, didn't think about the fact that the bolter on a combi weapon would also be master crafted. Neat!

-@fluger: Yeah, it's definitely similar to what you played. I did really well with that list, where I usually don't perform as well in a tournament format. Figured I'd fine tune this one. :)

What do you guys think of the command squad? Haven't used one before, are they pretty points effective?

Sorry to derail before.

Anyway, list looks like it would be find against MEQ or TEQ armies, but you'll probably have trouble against hordes and against any army with melta/flame immune units (avatar, c'tan shard with the power to explode melta weapon holders or just opponents that can stay out of melta range...).  In terms of army issues, if the opponent has any degree of DS protection, your army really doesn't have much in the way of alternate deployment options, given the low range and small squad sizes.

I am curious, how much more expensive would be sally bikers with melta instead of a few of those pod squads? 

With knights and wave serpente being the big buggaboos of competitive 40k at the moment this is how I'd setup your list (keeping general theme, just swapping a couple of things)

Vulkan
Command squad (4x melta guns, pod) 

Legionaires (5 man, Multi-melta, Melta, Combi-grav)
Legionaires (5 man, Multi-melta, Melta, Combi-grav)

Assault (5man, 2x flamer, pod)
Assault (5man, 2x flamer, pod)

Knight-Castigator

...and 5 points to throw in a melta bomb somewhere (command squad or a LotD).  

Plenty of anti-troop so loss of TFC isn't so bad.  Lots of twin linked melta, some of which is twin-linked ignore cover (Vulkan's ability works on LotD).  Gives you the tools to give IKs and serpents a run for their money.

Totally forgot about LOtD, them plus Vulkan should do just fine. Castigator knight is something I've been considering, does anyone have any play experience with it? Also, the Castigator seems to take care of some of the horde issue, but, really, with Orks not seeing a ton of play at big tourneys (same with horde nids), Guard blobs are really the only army I'm a bit worried about with this list.