Dark Elf list with very little magic

So, I have 3 models I really like but I haven't used them since Black Sheep Brawl and I want to get them back on the table.  I like the army but it lacks the magic punch I am accustomed to.  This list is 2,400 points and with a few minor adjustments, can easily get to 2500.

Dreadlord w/heavy armour, shield, sea dragon cloak, black dragon, ogre blade, talisman of preservation, the other tricksters shard

Sorceress w/lore of dark magic, level 2 wizard, dark steed, dispel scroll

Master w/BSB, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, manticore, iron hard skin, sword of might, charmed shield, dawnstone

10 Dark Riders w/musician, standard bearer, shields, repeater crossbows

6 Cold One Knights w/musician, standard bearer, banner of swiftness

Cold One Chariot

War Hydra w/fiery breath

Reaper Bolt Thrower

5 Doomfire Warlocks

The army keeps the fast cav approach, which I really like, and adds some flying threat to the mix.  I've added in a war hydra and dropped a chariot and bolt thrower.  Playing the bsb on a manticore is tricky but I've done it in the past with a bit of success.

What are peoples thoughts and/or concerns with the list?  It comps at a 10.6 and doesn't seem over the top.  At any rate, this is pretty much the friendlier dark elf list I am planning on using for a while.

I (of course) like it, it looks like a very wicked and capable army... TONS of speed and hard hitting things everywhere.  

I'm still sad that the infantry seems so weak compared to the cavalry choices... I like the look of a mixed army.  Or maybe I'm just envious that you have 30 Dark Riders and 2 Cold One Chariots, and I have 10 plus a bunch of chump-ass Shards and Corsairs and Black Guard :P  Yeah I think I have Cav Envy!

Cool army, looking forward to fighting it!!

I (of course) like it, it looks like a very wicked and capable army... TONS of speed and hard hitting things everywhere.  

I'm still sad that the infantry seems so weak compared to the cavalry choices... I like the look of a mixed army.  Or maybe I'm just envious that you have 30 Dark Riders and 2 Cold One Chariots, and I have 10 plus a bunch of chump-ass Shards and Corsairs and Black Guard :P  Yeah I think I have Cav Envy!

Cool army, looking forward to fighting it!!

HAHA, I have 22 spearmen and 24 blackguard.  I just rarely use them.  I only break out the black guard if I'm going to an event with a published tournament packet which shows a watch tower scenario.  I tried the corsairs, I used to have 24 until I told them to beat it and stuck them in my trash can.   

I have thought about running 35 dreadspears and 28 executioneers with a cauldron of blood.  I just like the speed of cavlary and have always been attracted to the fast moving choices in armies.  I've tried the gunline with Empire and I just don't like to sit back and shoot.  It's not my thing.  I like to get up close and personsal and make people think.  In the current meta, I find that the dark riders are a solid triple-threat-unit:

1) Movement- vanguard to new positions and pretty much move them wherever you need them to be. With the fleeing ability they pack they are just that much better for redirectors.

2) Shooting- As you witnessed last night, when they hit and wound, they can do some damage.  Great for keeping chaff and solo model/unit options honest.

3) Combat- While they won't take on a horde or much elite stuff, they can still dish out some nice damage to chaff, chariots, war machines, and provide a nice flanking or rear support charge.  Their 4+ armour save is great for at least attempting to hold something in place for a turn or two.

I just love dark riders and everything they provide for dark elves.  They are a great tool and I put them toward the top of the list for best fast cav in the game.  In fact, I rank them at number 1 because of the option to have a 4+ armour save for a fast cavalry unit.  You can't ignore them either because of what they have the potential to do starting turns 4 and up.

Hey, most of my DE are infantry. Of course I don't play tournaments, or well, but I still like my Black Guard. As for my Shards, till I get my Dark Steed Sorceress ready I will keep them going.

Don't discredit shards.  If I was running an infantry heavy list, I'd have at least 3 units of 20 shards.  They make excellent bunkers for your wizards to bounce around.  Have you tried running a level 4 sorceress on foot with the cloak of twilight?  It allows her to freely move around your back lines and cast spells where they're needed.

This list scares me, because MN knows hw to control the movement phase.  I don't think you'll have any trouble winning games with it.

The main problem is other armies with lots of shooting.  The dragon, not so much; however, the BSB is another story.  In the past, I had that manticore shot from underneath him a ton and it made getting my BSB back into a good position very hard.  On the flip side, he's still pretty survivable on foot.

I won't lie though, when you get a combo charge with the two characters, it's flippin insane.

Well every list has it's weakness.  Your manticore will end up being safer in combat a lot of the time, so pick the units that you want to hit and hit them fast.  Make their shooting units your priority targets for shooting and magic.  If they can't shoot you, then you will have no problem dancing around them.

Thank you for all the feedback so far.  I was hoping this didn't seem OP to a lot of people.  I would like to start fielding my monsters again.  I put some time into painting them.  They may not be the best looking models, but I like the end result on them.

Iraf, I'm touching up the hydra just for you this weekend.  Yeah, I remember your comment when I put it on the table for the first time ;)

What I like about this list is that I still have access to some great spells but I'm not overpowering the magic phase and this list tosses out a ton of threat for my opponent and it really forces them to pick a target and ensure it drops during their turn.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the feedback so far.  I was hoping this didn't seem OP to a lot of people.  I would like to start fielding my monsters again.  I put some time into painting them.  They may not be the best looking models, but I like the end result on them.

Iraf, I'm touching up the hydra just for you this weekend.  Yeah, I remember your comment when I put it on the table for the first time ;)

What I like about this list is that I still have access to some great spells but I'm not overpowering the magic phase and this list tosses out a ton of threat for my opponent and it really forces them to pick a target and ensure it drops during their turn.

I hope I didn't give you a complex. :wink:   I'm working on my VC/Army of the Undead right now.  Just converted a very Vampire Counts-ish Casket of Souls.  It looks awesome.

manticore dragon and hydra, oh my! ;) it will be darn good against most things.  and with swedish you dont have to worry about a crazy amount of stanks/artillery so bring out the big guys!  

I never care about stanks.  Most armies only bring one and I can pretty much always keep my stuff out of it's random movement range.  It's artillery I don't like.  Hellblasters make short work of manticores!  I don't take the swedish comp into consideration when building my lists.  That's only used for specific things.  I just put it up so people could see how it's rated.  I think it's undercoasted, IMO.  Actually I believe a lot of things to not be properly costed under swedish.