The amazing fail of the modern era....

So many levels of fail. I got diablo 3 for my ps4. They want me to connect to my battle.net account. The account is tied to an authenticator which I don't have - I threw it out when I vowed to not play wow again, seemed like the best way to ensure I didn't get hacked, as I couldn't find a way to just delete the entire account. Anyway, to get into the battle.net account, I have to remove the authenticator from the account. To remove it, They want me to submit government issued ID....yeah...not exactly something I want them to have, but the bigger issue is that since I'm using the PS4, I can't upload the image anyway because the PS4 isn't able to do that. Okay, whatever, I go to their tech support, but I can't use that without logging in...

Basically, I have a game that is putting me through impossible hoops in their tech support. Anyone else have similar stories of "technology" which is frustrating and pointless frustrating again?

or is the real moral of this story, "don't throw out your mother *bleeping* authenticator!" :)

Even if I kept it, I wouldn't have a clue where it is now. I haven't played WoW in years... To be honest, I'm amazing they keep the account up when no one is using it...

It takes about 5 minutes to submit a ticket for a lost authenticator using a desktop computer or smartphone. You take a picture of your ID and attach it.

I had to do this when I got D3 for much the same reasons. They got back to me less than 8 hours later that it was removed.

Not rocket surgery. :)

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm amazing they keep the account up when no one is using it...

Blizzard has looooong held that all of your blizzard accounts are managed through one profile. That's why they keep it. Also, it gives you the chance to go back to wow and get all your stuff if you so desire. Why would they delete your stuff when there's a chance (albeit a small one) of getting your business back someday?

• Like 1

First, I am paranoid. Second, I never gave blizzard my state ID, so them requesting it to verify my person is odd on a lot of levels. Third, I wouldn't just be giving the ID to blizzard, as I'd be  starting with scanning it, thus creating a digital copy of state ID and then storing it on PC, which isn't really that smart to begin with, then I'm putting it on the internet as an image without even hinted at assurances from blizzard that the ID image will remain private. Forth, now blizzard is storing even more data from me. 

Now the last bit, and this bit really isn't that paranoid, is that now if blizzard is hacked, not only can they get a copy of my credit information, but they can get my state issued photo ID...

This wouldn't be an issue if I merely was required to show it to an employee, who looked at it, then gave it back - like when checking age at a bar. They aren't asking to see it, they are asking for a copy to keep. 

I'll add that I work in IT in a hospital.  While I am not in the security team, I work closely with them.  I know very well how unprotected most data is both in transmission (which *is* what I do for a living) and on "secure" systems.  There's a reason people use air-gap security and any system that is going to receive the copy of my e-mail is not going to be air-gap.

Yep, paranoid.  Not for a made-up reason though.  And given the ease of getting a new e-mail address, why bother taking any risk at all?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

All I read is sky is falling, and what ifs.

I work with fraud and disputes in financial industry. I see the results, it's sucks but diligent people get by just fine, lazy people suffer.

It is a risk return argunent. I don't play video games do this scenario doesn't apply, but I read terms closely. Most part all these hack issues only create minor inconviences in people's life. I am not sure the risks are really that bad.

I get my information is easy to access but so what, what bad things are going to happen.

Forth, now blizzard is storing even more data from me. 

Now the last bit, and this bit really isn't that paranoid, is that now if blizzard is hacked, not only can they get a copy of my credit information, but they can get my state issued photo ID...

This wouldn't be an issue if I merely was required to show it to an employee, who looked at it, then gave it back - like when checking age at a bar. They aren't asking to see it, they are asking for a copy to keep. 

From the blizzard page that describes this process:

We’ll never use your ID for anything other than verifying account ownership. There are many laws designed to keep your information safe online. We comply with them all—and when we’re done with your ID, we delete the copy you send us.

If you're worried about the amount of work involved then just make a new email account, they're free. 

If you're worried about the data the employees would see then just black out the things they don't need.

Having had people steal my WoW account when I was still playing WoW and knowing the value of some people's accounts that seems like a pretty reasonable route to me.

• Like 1

as someone that got their account hacked, I disagree, after I got my authenticator I had no more hacks

Oh, did he mean 'anti-hacking' crap? Because authenticators really do help. If you're playing a game where you invest DAYS of play time into your character, having a little security makes sense. I long ago gave up WOW, but did not mind having an auth at all if it meant not losing all my hard work.

as someone that got their account hacked, I disagree, after I got my authenticator I had no more hacks

That still does not excuse them for making it a pain for someone who has long ago let things expire and after a few years comes back for a NEW DIFFERENT GAME and they go, oh hey, yeah, jump though some annoying painful hoops for us just so you can use what you have already paid for.

That still does not excuse them for making it a pain for someone who has long ago let things expire and after a few years comes back for a NEW DIFFERENT GAME and they go, oh hey, yeah, jump though some annoying painful hoops for us just so you can use what you have already paid for.

It's not an annoying painful hoop. It literally took my 15 minutes (including the time it took me to find my authenticator app and realize it expired).

But that NEW DIFFERENT GAME is an online all the time game and has features that require you to be online all the time, the company isn't going to make a whole new network for that one new game, they already have Battle.net, which every Blizzard game for the past decade or more has used.  You don't even NEED to have the authenticator.  Pax made the choice a long time ago to have an authenticator knowing full well it would be required to log in to his Battle.net account and then lost it.

You're always going to have to trade convenience for security and given how much time/money WoW accounts are worth this seems like a total no-brainer.  I guarantee you if Diablo had required a new login to a new service people would be complaining about having to remember 2 logins.

The whole idea is that Blizzard is selling you a family of products. Everything integrates and it is one stop shopping for digital downloads, updates, etc. If you don't like that idea, don't buy Blizzard. It's been like that for what... 10+ years? No one should be surprised by now.

That's applicable if I am buying something for my PC.  Pax is trying to buy something for his PS4.  The only benefit that exists to him is the simplicity of single login.

The subject of security is one where everyone is going to come up with their own answer and it's going to be based on personal opinion and experience.  It'd be the same thing if we were talking personal security and guns (although it would be in a different forum).

I work with too many white hats to be as cavalier about electronic security as most of you guys are.  Arguing that you have not seen evidence that you are hacked yet is kinda meaningless as the people who hack things on the internet are generally smart enough not to use every resource that they've gotten from a hack and they're amazingly patient.  Take http://www.businessinsider.com/snapchat-hacked-the-snappening-2014-10 which is a hack that was in place for *years*.

And on top of all that, no matter how little you are concerned about whether or not this is a risk, free e-mail is so prevalent that it is literally easier to get a new e-mail address and set up a new account that it is to rescue the old one.