Help me pick my next 40k army

PourSpelur

So I'm considering my next army. I still wouldn't consider myself a good painter or converter, but I am getting more comfortable. So I want to try something that will: push me to improve, look unique and use as little GW product as possible while still being easy to play against. It doesn't matter how awesome my army looks if nobody knows what the heck they're playing against;)

Choice 1: Sisters of the Bottle

Codex Sisters, using the Void Viridian bodies with unhelmeted female heads . These Ladies do two things, love the Emprah and party. Think Necromunda Eschers in power armor. Lots of cheetah/leopard spots, gang tattoos and gold trim.

The Void power armor isn't nearly as heroically scaled which I like because it conveys a feeling of T3 unaltered human females without having stupid boob armor. The downside to that is I'm a little worried about finding heads that will fit.

Choice 2: Ludas Lunatics

Codex Space Wolves. Pretre built up a list that is basically 23 Thunder Wolf Cavalry and 10 dogs that intrigued me. This particular Warband believes that the only way to achieve perfection is to master the art of gladiatorial combat. I found some ancient gladiators to counts-as the dogs. Being a bit small and having no guns they should fill the same role. Giant alien wolf kinda equals drugged up gladiatorial thralls, right? For the TWC themselves I'd use aftermarket gladiator helms on assault marines, probably riding on grav-platforms. That way they'd match the TWC size/height and I like the concept of them being so enamored with personal combat that they ride their own piece of the arena into battle. Plus I could continually quote lines from the movies "300" and "Gladiator".

Any comments, questions, concerns, ideas?

Tl:dr

Want to see punk rawk grrrls with bolters or a bunch of Astartes General Maximus wannabees?

• Like 1

I'd go with the Gladiator Space Wolves. Not only because I think it's the more awesome of the two ideas, but also because SW just got a new Dex, and so should stay stable for a while, while AS are hopefully going to be getting a re-do with a proper hardcover Dex relatively soon, which might well totally screw over your build.

• Like 1

Your should build a, hmm, digging around, what's in this box? some tau

Tau! You should build a Tau army!

I've always wanted to do a Tau army in a cold war era Soviet scheme! Tan canvas, olive drab armor, blackened metal and bright red details. Find a good Tau-ish substitute for the iconic hammer& sickle, switch the "CCCP" into fishanise and boom! They'd be so much fun to paint, and look great. The only thing that stopped me from doing just that is...I have zero interest in owning or playing Tau;)

I'd go with the Gladiator Space Wolves. Not only because I think it's the more awesome of the two ideas, but also because SW just got a new Dex, and so should stay stable for a while, while AS are hopefully going to be getting a re-do with a proper hardcover Dex relatively soon, which might well totally screw over your build.

Ha! An optimist, I see...
  • Like 1

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night. Just remember you can strap more firepower onto that thing and it comes in at 150 base. It is a really reasonable vehicle. I think that my third HS slot would be a retributor squad with 4 heavy bolters in a bunker with more heavy bolters. At that point you need to say do you want mech spam or a big ole blob of girls. I like Ye old blob with Jaccobus myself. From there it is all about Fast attack. I think sneaky fast meltagun squads are the answer but pretre really is better to ask than me. For a really cool theme I would add guard with even more wacky Necromunda looking crazy factor but thats me.

Yeah I am jealous of your Redemptionists. Pax was nice and sold me some Necromunda Fanatic Arbites and I use those when I bring Acolytes. Personally I think the squad that has captured my eye for this edition is the 4 acolytes with stormbolters and a psyker in a chimera with dual heavy bolters and psy ammo. Even if the psyker gets a lame power he can still offer a warp charge at 10 pts. Perhaps he does get something cool and throws it out the hatch.

2 Avengers, Hvy bolter retributors in a bastion and either:

Foot hordes

Rhinos and smaller squads

A little of both

Something completely different?

Not sure, I have zero experience with Sisters so I'm drawing a blank. The one big thing is I wouldn't be using the official GeeDub Sisters models so I'm sticking with just the S.O.B.Codex. I really want the army to be easy to play against and adding another faction could lead to confusion. That's why I'm aiming for something simple to identify (albeit probably pretty spammy).

Well I'd want to go either/or on the Repressors or Immolators. So what would work better, all Repressors or all Immolators? I tend to play a bit more aggressive so the front av13 sounds nice. Other than that, the list looks perfect! Cohesive without being crazy spammy, unusual without being too off the wall and most importantly...easy to identify for opponents;)

http://bitspudlo.com/spree/products/4962/large/Ikarus_4.jpg?1373824810

Thinking about trying these and adding a turret. Keeps the high-tech vibe and lots of flat panels for graffitti. Seem legit?

I hadn't considered people being against ForgeWorld though. Without the Avengers and Repressors is the army viable at all? I guess running a bunch of power armored, melta toting babes in a different melta tank wouldn't be much different;)