The Kharybdis

BrainFireBob

Now, normally, I don't strongly disagree with Abuse Puppy, but I was reading his review of IA13 and the dismissal of the Kharybdis out of hand, and I wanted to broach that topic.

See, I'm looking at it and seeing a delivery system that puts my guys down turn 1 where I want them, thanks to the double whammy of inertial guidance and drop pod assault, and I'm thinking that while a LR+40 isn't cheap, it's not bad for the flexibility.

The model is big enough that inertial guidance should kick in quite a bit, which is a plus. I'm also wondering about its utility as an alpha-strike platform. 19 CSM with 2 meltaguns, Aspiring Champion with combi-melta, and Dark Apostle with combi-melta- it's a nice amount of melting face that's fearless, drops where you want turn 1 to seize objectives, and can't be ignored. Or even just 10 CSM terminators with the Mark of Tzeentch and a mix of mauls and axes.

Anyone else been thinking about this model, or have experience using it in Horus Heresy games?

EDIT: I'm open to being talked in to this going on the "Apocalypse only" shelf, I'm just thinking giving Chaos that alpha strike capability is not something to overlook.

It does drop a bunch of troops on the table turn 1, it's true- the question is, how useful is that? What do CSM have that is both effective enough that its delivery is worth the points and tough enough that it can realistically be ready to get the charge? We'll take as a matter of course that your army already has 3x Maulerfiend and 3x Bikes/Spawn in it, because that's kinda the fundament of an aggressive list right there. So you're looking at Chosen, Terminators, Possessed, Mutilators, or Berzerkers. To be honest, none of those strike me as units that I want to pay 300pts to deliver, even when attaching an HQ to it; moreover, for a pretty similar price you could be fielding a Spartan and getting basically the same result, but also having a bunch of Lascannons and a big, rumbly box to block LOS with.

The Kharybdis is AV12, has very weak guns (remember it will only get to fire one of them at full BS the turn it arrives and will only be BS3 the rest of the time thanks to Possession), and really just isn't that impressive as a delivery platform. Pretty much anything a Kharbydis can do, two Drop Pods can for for 1/4 the price.

You suggest dropping in a blob of CSM, but if we presume you go with the free BP+CCW swap that's 400pts PLUS the Kharybdis itself and you're getting three Melta shots out of it. If they then get charged by a Knight, Wraithknight, etc, that is basically game over for them- or if they appear in front of a Riptide, they are gonna lose half the squad to an Ion blast, etc. They're not even really impressive as a melee unit, because "a fair number of S4 attacks" is not the sort of thing that wins games, especially not for that cost. Tzeentch Terminators would be even worse in a lot of ways, because not only can they already DS on their own but the MoTz is quite expensive for the minimal benefit it gives you. Kitting them with a variety of Power Weapons and some Combis wouldn't be awful, but with the unit clocking in at 450+ at that point you could be in for some really bad times once you start rolling saves.

If you wanna like the Kharybdis, that's fine- I'm not here to tell people what they should or shouldn't enjoy. Everyone's got their peculiarities and if what you want is a big ol' egg from space, the heck, man, go for it. But I think it's hard to argue that something that costs more than a Land Raider and yet does little more than a Drop Pod is a good points investment, especially in a codex that has surprisingly few good melee options.

• Like 1

It does drop a bunch of troops on the table turn 1, it's true- the question is, how useful is that? What do CSM have that is both effective enough that its delivery is worth the points and tough enough that it can realistically be ready to get the charge? We'll take as a matter of course that your army already has 3x Maulerfiend and 3x Bikes/Spawn in it, because that's kinda the fundament of an aggressive list right there. So you're looking at Chosen, Terminators, Possessed, Mutilators, or Berzerkers. To be honest, none of those strike me as units that I want to pay 300pts to deliver

come on, this is a perfect situation for warp talons....

• Like 1

come on, this is a perfect situation for warp talons....

Sorry, brah, infantry only in transports.

Actually, I was thinking of trying the termies without disembarking- tzeentch on case it crashes. Dunno. The option intrigues.

When it arrives it always does so in Hover mode, as per its own rules, so no need to worry about Crash and Burn.