Why I watch hockey

Purplepeopleeater

Hockey is so popular... they can't put proper ellipsis in the video?

Hockey is so popular, they don't get major coverage except during the Winter Olympics, they rarely have games on Network TV.  It's soccer on ice with sticks.  I'll take Rugby any day.

It's ok that you don't get hockey… 

• Like 1

worst part of soccer.....the shame of soccer if you will

My only complaint really. It's a fine sport otherwise. I can only watch grown men writhing about like they've got a career ending injury, only to be frolicking down field seconds later for so long.

If you spend more than 10 seconds on the ground there should be a mandatory 10 minute "recovery" period. If you're actually injured that shouldn't be an issue, if you're not--10 minutes out of the game for a star player could make all the difference. Suddenly hammin' it up doesn't seem like such a great idea.

• Like 3

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Hockey is far more brutal than rugby. Pads only dull the rules of physic so much.

The faster I get the more pain I bring, skates and ice have so much less friction.

A car moving 20 hitting a stationary car is bad but both or at least one can likely drive off. Two cars moving 20 hit each other head on I don't think anything but the most rugged of vehicles is driving away.

I crashed my bike going 25 on the street, that hurt but I walked away, but my bike didn't. But if I hit another biker head on...

You can also only cover so much of your body from a little round rock that is flying at speeds between 80-100 mph.

Well, I work with three people of varying levels of Hockey.  All played in College, and one was not far from the NHL.  

All I get to hear about all day is how tough Hockey is.  How it's amazing.  I'm bombarded with it.  Is it tough?  Sure.  I'll never deny those guys play a rough game.  Doesn't make them tougher individuals.  People will always say that their sport that they like is the best.  I've played a lot of sports.  They're all difficult.  However, I'm also keen to the fact that Hockey is virtually a niche sport outside of Canada.  Look at the places it's broadcast. Makes me sad because things that aren't really a sport like NASCAR are on the rise. <sigh>

Well, I work with three people of varying levels of Hockey.  All played in College, and one was not far from the NHL.  

All I get to hear about all day is how tough Hockey is.  How it's amazing.  I'm bombarded with it.  Is it tough?  Sure.  I'll never deny those guys play a rough game.  Doesn't make them tougher individuals.  People will always say that their sport that they like is the best.  I've played a lot of sports.  They're all difficult.  However, I'm also keen to the fact that Hockey is virtually a niche sport outside of Canada.  Look at the places it's broadcast. Makes me sad because things that aren't really a sport like NASCAR are on the rise. <sigh>

As someone who grew up with hockey and played at the junior level, I think it's slowly dwindling because people are becoming idiots. There is a lot to understand, follow and keep up with in a hockey game. Not like the ADD designed NFL and their 5 seconds spurts of action or soccer and their 60 minutes of running or in your other example NASCAR (which I also follow) that isn't really much until it gets to lap 480 of 500.