Beer at Dark Tower!?

Sherbert

So I had an interesting conversation with Nathaniel today. He wants to put in a 21+ section in the back area and sell cans and bottle of beer. He is still not sure about all of the legality issues that this will bring but he already sells snacks and stuff which fills the food requirements. He mentioned coming in and talking to us on a tuesday about what type of beer people will drink so maybe expect that in the next couple of weeks. I asked about a projection and he isnt really sure when this would happen since he and Katie just started thinking about it a couple of days ago. 

I immediately thought of how this will fill our problem of supporting the shop. Since we dont buy too many models and generate revenue, we can support him through beer and thats the best damn way to support anyone. 

• Like 4

I think Guardian Games in Portland has such a place. They even have kegs on tap, though they have a pretty big space. 

The liquor license is not easy for that kind of thing. I am willing to bet they will require more than chips and candy, I think you have to actually cook something. Might be better off seeing if he can make a window to the bar next door or something. 

I think it's a great idea and if he can jump through the hoops it would make for a great environment to game, for sure.

• Like 1

Regarding the City of Bellingham:

Liquor License Applications

In order to sell alcoholic beverages at an eating or drinking establishment or at a special occasion within the City of Bellingham, a State liquor license is required.  The Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) issues the license only after receiving input from the City, and each application is investigated individually. To apply for a license, see the Applicant FAQ's on the WSLCB website.  The process typically requires 45 days from date of application (up to 60 days if applying in an Alcohol Impact Area).

Following is a general outline of the process followed once a Liquor License application is received at the City of Bellingham:

1. Review by Bellingham Police, Building Services, Finance and Fire Departments.  Review includes checking business license and registration, background check, permitting, fire safety and occupancy.
  2. Review by Whatcom County Health Department
  3. Approval by the Mayor's Office following all other reviews and approvals.
  4. Application is returned to the WSLCB for issuance of license. 

If a department needs additional time to accomplish their investigation, the City is able to request a “commitment term” from the WSCLB that requires the applicant to fulfill outstanding obligations to the City of Bellingham before they are able to obtain approval for their liquor license. All investigations within the City happen concurrently with the WSCLB’s license review process.  See Applicant FAQ's for more information on that process.

• Like 1

I don't know what type of beer he's looking for but check out "retail licensing" for the Washington State Liquor Control Board to get an idea of how many types there are.

He could go "snack bar" but there goes your hopes for taps and such...

Snack Bar

$ 125

To sell beer by the opened bottle or can (no taps permitted) for on-premises consumption only.

• The sale of beer cannot be the principal business conducted.
  • Snack food such as peanuts, popcorn and chips must be available, and designated seating (a distinct area of the premises where alcohol may be sold, served or consumed) must be provided. 
  • Add-on Endorsement: Alcohol in Candy-must have combination Snack Bar/Grocery Store license.

And if he goes "tavern" no one under 21 can go, which won't help the ol' Magic crowd.

But then again, I dunno all the details.

im not sure I understand how it will drive customers away? there will be an area in the back room that is 21+ but most of the room will remain open. its just a little addition for the older crowd and considering that there are only a couple of people under 21 who play table top games it wont have that much of an impact. 

Also the wall that will divide the area will be a short half wall, the room wont be cut in half. 

Okay so where will I game?

This is the one and ONLY reason I vehemently oppose this. I will have to make it clear to Nathaniel that if he does this it will exclude people and this is, in my opinion, not kosher. I will most likely decide that I probably should not spend any money there or attend games scheduled there if the back it 21+ only. It is a club right? Jim, what do you think the most logical, legal and fair proposal here?

Eli: I have 6 tables and a healthy board game collection, if it happens you can set up camp; plus you know that you are always welcome, the fam loves you.

im not sure I understand how it will drive customers away? there will be an area in the back room that is 21+ but most of the room will remain open. its just a little addition for the older crowd and considering that there are only a couple of people under 21 who play table top games it wont have that much of an impact. 

Also the wall that will divide the area will be a short half wall, the room wont be cut in half. 

Except that it will suck if the tables in the regular section are taken up, and someone shows up to take a game with only 21+ tables available... Even if it's only 3 tables, cutting down the gaming space available to all ages by 25% is not good. Plus a wall, say 4" thick, is really going to eat up much more room than it seems when you need clearance on both sides.

I don't know, I'd rather not mix beer into such a small space.

again, it would be a couple of tables, not the entire back area. People under 21 cans still get games in.

I thought this would have been met with some more enthusiasm, but it seems like I was wrong. It might be that it wont come to pass for legal reasons so this could all be for naught. Sorry I brought it up. 

Sherbert- No, No! It's not really contentious to the point of apologizing for bringing it up. I was just taking a moment to hare my unsolicited opinion.

I guess I just don't care all that much about drinking, or to be precise, drinking while gaming. It might be great fun for GarageHammer or game night at someone's home but for a Tuesday night game I'd just prefer to stick with a beer at NYP and all the camaraderie of the post game(s) recap. To be honest though, I'm 100% against this because it would exclude people, most notable the world's youngest (and possibly best) grognard ( /nods to the General). To be frank, it's a decision he's probably making based on revenue not morals or ethics. I expect that it will be shot to $hit during the permit process but in case it's not...well - I'll take a look at that bridge if we get there, I suppose

Not really all that concerned whether it turns into 21+ and not concerned for Nathaniel' store to be super-frank. I stopped worrying about other people's problems a while back. No regrets yet.

again, it would be a couple of tables, not the entire back area. People under 21 cans still get games in.

I thought this would have been met with some more enthusiasm, but it seems like I was wrong. It might be that it wont come to pass for legal reasons so this could all be for naught. Sorry I brought it up. 

YOU SHOULD BE SORRY!!!!! :P

I talked to him about it today. It seems a lot less intrusive than it initially seemed. I think it could work out from what he was explaining. Honestly there really aren't that many young kids playing games at any one time. My only fear is that he could lose a bit of revenue from overprotective parents that don't want their kids near alcohol. Nathaniel brought up the fact that kids go to restaurants and various other places where people mind their own business and drink alcohol. I think it should be good.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.