WestRyder is in the finals!

Lord Hanaur

3rd Place.  Yup.  

The player himself is an impressive General who has won countless tournaments, so it is no surprise to those who know him.  He's just flat good.  He and his twin brother, the Eldar player, are both extremely good, though as WestRyder proved, the Wave spam code has been cracked and in your face drop pods or other transports round 1 makes for a tough day at the office for the WaveSpammers.  

Both were at OFCC this year as well so you might know them.  Ed and Greg Skewis?  One of them took my place on our team this year sicne I was unable to go.  

• Like 1

I was the Eldar player, and my brother (Ed) was the Dark Angels player. Ed normally uses the Space Marine codex for his battle company as they are painted up as Ultramarines, but when he got around to registering the Space Marine faction had already been spoken for. So I convinced him to throw in a Banner of Devastation and call it a Dark Angels army, lol.

My game vs. WestRider was very tough. I was planning on forcing him to drop in one corner of the board then zooming away to pick him off at a distance, but he thwarted my plan and was able to get a solid victory. I know I could have played that game better if I was more aggressive but he simply outplayed me.

Maybe next year my Eldar will finally take 1st place!

• Like 2

I was the Eldar player, and my brother (Ed) was the Dark Angels player. Ed normally uses the Space Marine codex for his battle company as they are painted up as Ultramarines, but when he got around to registering the Space Marine faction had already been spoken for. So I convinced him to throw in a Banner of Devastation and call it a Dark Angels army, lol.

That explains it. Just doesn't look like a DA army, looks like a SM army under DA rules. Still, looks like he did pretty good with it.

I fought a nigh identical list a couple years ago at OFCC with Tau.  Pinning was key to victory then.  Tau can't pin you down like they used to though.  I'd have to go a different route in 7E methinks.

They can't pin like they used to, but they can certainly deny cover and armor much more efficiently.

I think you could do it, but I'm not sure riptide spam is the answer, partially just because it's so common that everyone has them in mind for list creation.

They can't pin like they used to, but they can certainly deny cover and armor much more efficiently.

I think you could do it, but I'm not sure riptide spam is the answer, partially just because it's so common that everyone has them in mind for list creation.

Well my normal list, which was the last one I brought to OFCC, has two Riptides in it.  and you're right:  Dark Eldar, for example, had little difficulty killing both off in two rounds, though they managed serious damage in their brief time on earth.

I have been on record as saying that Riptides are not necessary to win but that they are quite good.  I have not needed more than two.  Two seems ideal.  I like having the TL Melta/Flamer Crisis Team in the list and I tend not to use multiple detachments when I can avoid it.  So i don't think i'll ever get around to using more than 2, unless its like a rare apocalypse battle.

I have to say, I'm particularly proud of my showing since I had no practice games with this list, and my first game ever with a drop list for any army was less than a week before the tournament.

Well, I do think both you and the DA player had pretty good luck with he match ups. Not saying they were effortless. You did win fair and square.

It's more than just the list. The guy who was running Daemons is really good, and he had me on the ropes for a while. If it weren't for a couple of my GH going totally nuts on his Nurglings in the last 3 Turns, he would have had it.

The second round, against MT, was an easy one, no argument there. Even if he hadn't gotten screwed by his Reserves, I was confident in that one.

That Eldar list was a brutal one, tho. That Army was actually my biggest concern of any list there. If I'd let up the pressure at any point, he easily could have turned it around.

It's more than just the list. The guy who was running Daemons is really good, and he had me on the ropes for a while. If it weren't for a couple of my GH going totally nuts on his Nurglings in the last 3 Turns, he would have had it.

I don't really get that daemon army. Are nurglings scoring in this edition, or why have them?