ETBS Necrknights + Marching Infantry

Through out the year leading up to and during my first OFCC I had a lot of luck using 50 man blocks of skellies and EBTS necroknights. I would hit units in the front with the skellie warriors and then rear charge on turn 3, 4, or 5 with necroknights.

The only downside was the slow movement and EBTS randomness ment that my warriors and necroknights sometimes ended up too far out of position.

Now that you can march an infantry block and and cast a spell to march again. I am wanting to revisit the possibility of using EBTS knights again.

What do you guys think?

Yes, those ones exactly. I agree 6 to 8 work really well.

However I was thinking two units of 3 to four beneath the sands to post up for a rear charge on an already existing combat. I see a lot of potential now that the rest of the army can get into combat quickly using Undead Legions.

A nice ranked up tar pit in the front to break steadfast and the snakes in the rear to bring enough punch to win a couple rounds of combat. Plus the snakes would be Swiftstride upon pursuit of the broken unit.

I agree, I don't see the advantage to EBTS anymore.  It used to function as a way to get something into combat quicker, behind the lines.  But it means they can charge turn 3 at the earliest.  I've had many tournament games not go beyond turn 4.  So EBTS is a big sacrifice.

But now, with march move, the snakes go 14, with a single casting of the TK signature spell, that goes to 28".  That puts them beyond midfield and ready for a turn 2 charge.  Given that, I no longer see EBTS as worth the risk, let alone the points.

• Like 1

Makes them completely non target for 3 turns as well, meaning cant me shot at or magic'd. They come into the game behind or beside the advance, IDK why people DONT use this unit.

I think this is completely viable for a single unit of 4 w/FC. If the strategy is to sit back with magic, shooting, and undead point denial. 

• Like 1

Oh, I get it now.  I wasn't clear on what ETBS stood for at first.  I wouldn't suggest using ETBS for the necroknights ever.  Just put them on the table and march them to happiness!  As for the unit size of 3, it could work.  I could see them being used like a chariot, in regards to them being used to get in and soften up the enemy or as a supporting charge.

Ya it is a costly unit to lose. I use to run two units to units of three to four in the event I lost one or it never showed. I hardly ever had them not show up or misfire and die. I may have just been lucky though.

I wonder if it's any less risky then throwing down a unit of 6 to 8 turn one with the chance of being shot down.

Small units of them can clear chaff on a flank, but wont do much else.  Every one of them that dies takes a third of that unit's effectiveness away, and that is no good.  With a unit of 5-8, you can dish out a lot of wounds, and hopefully remain at a combat-effective level long enough to get wounds raised back.  I always underestimate big units of these guys when I play against them.

• Like 1