A Leap of Faith

Munkie

I don't think we should have our own forums. We should just make this one open. You can still schedule games on the forums as well. I am just thinking that we should make an effort to be more inclusive. That is the idea behind pick up games

You will get people who we don't know on this forum then.  This is literally the only spot I know of on the internet immune to the Greater Internet [big bad swear word]wad Theory -- because no one is anonymous.  I like that.  Also Shay is right:  Exclusivity is fun.

I do think we should put up a flyer advertising that Tuesday night is opening gaming night, what games are often played (I'd list WH40k, WHFB, X-Wing, Infinity, Saga + Boardgames of All Sorts), and most importantly that it starts at 6 PM.

• Like 1

Everyone can post in the Game Night forum. Just title it BHams Game Night and then even I can setup a game with you northerners!

You (and all Senators and all honorary Warhamsters) already can!

EDIT: though, if we want to use the game night forum for matchup threads, that's a pretty good idea.

You will get people who we don't know on this forum then.  This is literally the only spot I know of on the internet immune to the Greater Internet [big bad swear word]wad Theory -- because no one is anonymous.  I like that.  Also Shay is right:  Exclusivity is fun.

I do think we should put up a flyer advertising that Tuesday night is opening gaming night, what games are often played (I'd list WH40k, WHFB, X-Wing, Infinity, Saga + Boardgames of All Sorts), and most importantly that it starts at 6 PM.

I really doubt we'll have any problems with 'strangers' here... I mean, what's the draw? If someone wants general gaming nonsense, there's Dakka, Warsseer, Bols, etc., etc, etc.  I don't think we need to worry about the Warhamsters subforum suddenly being 'the new hot spot' for online gaming.

I mean, we're awesome, but we're not that awesome.  ;)

@Intrizic - No worries, Kevin's not mandating anything, just suggesting a course of action.

@Jim - I think you may be overthinking it a little bit.  ;)

I think Kevin's suggestion is worth trying for a couple of weeks, and of course, things won't be 100% one way or another, but a happy median.

When we start playing Infinity more regularly, I'll give it a shot and see if I can't hook some newbs.

• Like 1

@Jim - I think you may be overthinking it a little bit.  ;)

Perhaps, but I prefer that to the alternative of underthinking and/or overreacting. I don't say that to be snarky. Maybe it's because, in the academic world, I do a LOT of committee work where decisions have to be made that satisfy a wide variety of viewpoints. The "measure twice, cut once" approach works pretty well in that setting.

For my part, given my schedule and other obligations, Kevin's suggestion is not something I can commit to long term. My gaming time is too limited to risk. I reckon other folks with less flexible schedules (aka, kids) are in a similar boat. I'm happy to reach out to others, and hope I still have the opportunity to play games with those of you who won't be pre-scheduling.

To clarify my stance (and this is strictly MY stance, not necessarily that of Warhamster leadership in general):

1) I am not proposing this as an effort to expand the club. Rather, suggesting the club might be an obstacle in the way of open gaming.

2) It is not our responsibility to grow the gaming community in Bellingham. However, if our inaccessibility is keeping the community from growing, then we need to reevaluate our process.

3) I am not opposed to the continuance of Tuesday threads. They are useful for "vulnerable" gamers--those with long commutes, narrow interests, specific goals, etc. I think Tuesday threads should be used as a safety net for those that feel they need it, not a necessary step to be able to game.

4) Keep it simple stupid(s). Not posting in the Tuesday thread is but one solution and there are many other use able ideas. But this is THE simplest solution. It requires less maintenance, less responsibility, and less planning than any other solution. Let's start there, and if people are struggling to get games in, we can re-evalute and figure out the next step.

The game room should be nexus, the beating heart of the gaming community in Bellingham--not some club's chat room off in digispace.

• Like 2

A third potential solution:  Have occasional (once a quarter?) open house nights. Everyone brings games and armies, and tables are going of a lot of stuff. Advertise the hell out of them. Warhamsters can have demo tables set up, or bring armies for what you want to play. Hamsterizer (or whoever) circulates, mingles, and sets new folks up with games with old salts. Advertise to the gaming clubs on campus.

I really like this idea. Find a way to let people know (probably with Dark Towers help) that a ton of the coolest people in Bham are all in one room every Tuesday playing games and shootin the [big bad swear word].

• Like 1

I would say that I am opposed to opening the forum up entirely, although maybe wouldn't be opposed to doing so if we had a closed subforum off the main subforum. Basically we'd open up the Bellingham Warhamsters subforum, but then have an invite only Veteran Hamsters (or whatever) subforum underneath it. I don't necessarily know that we need to open up the forum in the first place, but this could be a potential way to keep things we might want to talk about more confidentially, still confidential.

Like I said before I'll stay circulating better I already made sure brad and Jake got as setup as they want. One thing I like about have the semi private forum is it involves a little bit meaning the person who goes through setting it up is at least decently invested in playing games with us. Far too many people leave things loose and therefore feel no connection to show up. Also the store needs to step up on community don't know how many times I've left my number with glen and Nathaniel saying give it out for games to new players. I like to schedule even if it is only 24 hours in advance. Doesn't have to be here but I'm not into multiple games nor do I want to be.

I'm almost the opposite of jon. Regardless I'll be playing 40K with that youngster again next week as long as he shows up. Can't remember his name but he was a savvy opponent and lots of fun. I just was focused on fantasy for a bit...

I'll handle the 40k you schmucks do your thing with other systems I'm not qualified to play! :p

• Like 3

@Jim. I really like option 2 3 and 4. Particularly spreading out the days. 

As for the website, I am willing to assist with the setup and maintenance of a site, though I am very noobish in the web stuff. I can setup a wordpress site and that is about it, though I know you can do a simple, free wordpress site that has forums.

Yeah ideally I think there should be a mix of both scheduled and pickup games. I didn't get a secret club feel as Jim immediately offered the keys to the forums and it was no trouble to join. I like the commitment of scheduling games and feel a lot worse about missing a game if I have it scheduled.

I have an easy commute, but even for me Tuesday is now war gaming day and it's nice to have a guaranteed game setup. I'll try the Pug approach but of course I don't think there should be any stigma associated with scheduling games.

The main issue seems to be that scheduling games is the exclusive way to play since much of the community are warhamsters.

Theoretically I think team games could work, I.e. having a backup friendly/1k list that could meld a new player into the game before starting. More generous or extremely trusting folks could let people interested in the game without army or list try playing with some of their less precious models. Obviously there should be no obligation or pressure to do such things though, just what people are comfortable with, as it would definitely net them a slower game. Same thing could apply to board games that support several people.

You guys already seem to know what you are doing and have carved out an awesome gaming community from what I've seen, so I trust you already know how to foster growth. Corey for example offered an excellent intro to 40k.

TL;DR just the two cents of a new blood.

• Like 3

Hello there,

Obviously my two cents (which after the exchange rate due to hardly ever being able to play is more like one cent of one cent):

1.  DTG wants people in that gaming room.  It shows off their products being used and puts potential customers in the store.  An active gaming room means potential dollars for the business.  Thus, a very strong relationship exists between DTG and the gaming community.

2.  You guys/gals play a LOT of different games.  Wasn't there one about camels brought up not too long ago?  I mean... games with CAMELS!  That's gaming diversity right there!

3.  Maybe have a gaming calendar?  Dedicated days can have half or so of the gaming area dedicated to that game that night, with a few tables left for pick up games for different games.  For example, Thursdays are dedicated Warhammer Fantasy nights... half of the tables (or whatever) are dedicated for fantasy players to schedule games, drop in, whatever.  And if someone wants to pop in and play the aforementioned epic saga pertaining to camels, then there's available space.  Xwing can take Wednesdays, etc. etc. 

This way the gaming diversity is highlighted, pop-in or pickup games can occur and the game room is used a ton.  Which is what both the local gaming scene wants and DTG wants.

4.  Conspicous posting of a well-designed, nicely printed flyer/poster highlighting the local gaming club along with such a schedule can occur and this simultaneously notifies potential new gamers when they should come in to check out their game in action as well as advertising that there is in fact a healthy, diverse gaming community in Bellingham. 

BELLINGHAM WARHAMSTERS, your local gaming club, is active at DARK TOWER GAMES!

(Insert something to make folks feel welcome, to get them excited to play, to want them to get involved!  "Come in and check out the games in action, play games in the local scene, etc. etc.")

MONDAYS are Fantasy days!  (description of warhammer fantasy in a fun way)

TUESDAYS are 40k days!  Grimdark description to get folks pumped

WEDNESDAYS are Xwing days!  Come pew pew

THURSDAYS?  We have friggin' camels!  'nuff said!

FRIDAYS... you get the point

And then add a blurb that space is also reserved for open gaming (bring what'cha want, there's space to play it!)

Folks can get jazzed, check out stuff, know when "their" game is gonna be showcased, etc.

Folks that play one game know what day of the week they can most likely find a game going and be able to plan accordingly.

Folks that play lots of games don't have to sacrifice games because there are also open tables during each day of the week, along with different days of emphasis (i.e. I play X-wing on Thursdays and can play 40k on Tuesdays).  They can get their gaming fix in and plan accordingly.

Folks who live in the boonies that really prefer to schedule games due to various factors can schedule on any day due to the open tables... so if I can't make one of the current Tuesday game nights, I can hit up Fix for a game on a Thursday or whatever.  Or I know that 40k days are Tuesdays.  Either way, I can plan accordingly.

I don't know a lot of folks that *don't* like even a wee bit of planning... I mean, bringing 3 different games just in case, driving in just in case, etc. can get to be a hassle.  But if the gaming club and DTG can help with a little pre-planning by having a rough schedule, it might be way easier.

This kind of strategic outlook can assist with growing the local gaming community without a ton of effort/pressure on the gamers to do it.  DTG gets a more-utilized game room and thus more potential sales/repeat customers. All the games that you love to play can be highlighted on different days of the week.  Etc. etc.

But of course I might be totally missing the point and not know WTH I'm talking about.  Just trying to help out and obviously would be willing to do whatever the club needs me to do to help out.  Thanks for your time!

Stay safe,

don

I am going to go on a limb here and say that it seems that there are a said number of people who like to comp game. Myself included, I will admit playing an intro game of 40k is a lot like scratching my eyes out with a soldering gun. I know it is a big part of the sport but GAWD it sucks. Thankfully we have someone like Corey there. If anyone is great at getting someone new in and giving good intro games then Corey would win the Nobel Peace Prize. And I think we do have a good number of competitive players.

I do believe that our old way of pick-up games and walk-ins doesn't work. Think about the old Dark Tower before we did that. It was hard to get games, hell it was easier to find a money tree during the Dustbowl. But through the Forums we were able to meet new people and set up games. We even had a really effective 40k Escalation league which was awesome. Maybe because I was first the whole time until.....DAMN ANDY. Anyhow I think the pick-up game style evolved into the Forums and has been effective ever since.

On another note, I feel the private forum is something special we shouldn't give up. Scipiano I think that exclusivity will come through events especially out of our town of Bellingham. I know I didn't feel that special until I went to Mugu and realized I was representing the Warhamsters. After stomping and gut busting into a 1st place team victory I felt like a sparkling fairy princess. No I understand that when I go to tourneys, I represent every single Bellingham Warhamster. And that in and of itself is pretty special. I would even go to say it should be slightly harder to get it. Listen if every Tom, Dick and Jane could join the Navy SEALs what is so special about the SEALs then? Am I comparing us to one of the worlds most elite organizations? Hell yes I am. I have met a lot of gaming groups and the Warhamster is one of the best I have seen. That's something we shouldn't change. Let's keep our organization Value high.

One thing about expanding to other nights is that we don't (at least, I don't) want to dilute my Tuesday night experience. I like having a night where most Warhamsters who are available will be there, irrespective of the games we're playing. We're fickle little squirrels, who change up games often to keep things fresh and interesting. I like the natural ebb and flow of different systems that occur. Plus, I want to hang out with my friends, even if we are playing different games.

So, I guess, I'd like it if we kept Tuesday Warhamster open-gaming night, and folks who were interested in creating additional communities around specific games, could take the opportunity to do so. Thursdays are already Warmachine nights, right? I'm surprised there isn't an Xwing league right now, given all the play it's getting.

• Like 1

Could we have a guest profile on this forum that can only post in a "looking for a pick up game" forum? and leave the username and password on the whiteboard at darktower in the back? That way they get introduced to the forum and can find a game? 

or have something say "Looking for a pickup game" contact: [Warhamster email] and we can try and set up a game for ya. 

• Like 1

As some one who has tried starting different days sucks. I tried a once a week malifaux night for awhile no one shows. We all have busy lives and two nights a week for me don't work I burn out and drop completely for months. To be honest we have a club of peeps that show up to game with each other regardless of game.

The store if the wanna fill the room needs to step up and pick day and advertise it. I would show every other week on a 40k night if I wasn't twiddling my thumbs by myself. Trust me I've been the one trying to drive a different night and slammed my head against the wall when the store doesn't know what night is what even when we discussed it.

I don't advertise or drive people, I welcome them if there and love intro games. If somebody isn't confident enough to sally up and setup a game I'm not sure they will fit in enough to actually enjoy the hobby based on the mechanic/ power level questions that will erupt eventually. It is a bit of a vetting process.

• Like 3

@Shae. Tuesday night threads have predated dark tower by at least 3 years. There was never a time that dark tower had its doors open that we were NOT pre-scheduling games.

Re: nights dedicated to specific systems. While i think that would be awesome and a sign of a strong gaming community, I feel that is a cause that dark tower itself should champion.

It is not up to us to dictate their gaming calendar, nor is it fair or realistic for them to put that responsibility on us. We already offer a pretty consistently packed house on Tuesdays--a night that I'm sure would be dead without us.

I personally cannot commit to more than one night a week, so I will not ask my furry minions to. Nor am I willing to ask anyone to give up our club night to go to a dedicated system night instead.

All that said, if we can grow the community by getting more games in with outsiders, I would hope that people would spill over into other nights when the back room is consistently full.

If a few warhamsters with the availability and the desire would like to help establish dedicated nights: respect. I think it'll have a much better chance of success if some of our personalities are there.

• Like 2

Kevin then that only serves strengthen my point. It wasn't until I got on the boards did I start getting games in. Very little did I get pick-up games, and very little did I like them. So scheduling on-line a big fat "yes". However opening our boards to the public, a big fat stinky "No".

• Like 1

I'm not trying to twist your arm, Shae. You don't feel comfortable not scheduling games? Then by all means, continue to do so. I'm not asking anyone to sacrifice their enjoyment for some greater good. Just asking those who DO feel comfortable to try it out. I imagine I'll still get the vast majority of my games in against people I know, but I don't want to have to turn down someone I don't, just because they aren't on this forum. That's all.

• Like 1

I agree Kevin. And it would make it easier for people to communicate on this forum if it was open. I don't know what we are really scared of. Will our club implode if we don't have a private forum? The whole rest of ordo doesn't have a private forum and their clubs seem to do just fine. I don't see why the forum being private is necessary or even good. And Shae, I imagine you weren't getting in games at old DT because all of us had already scheduled one. If someone is a total dick that joins our forums then mightily wield your ban hammer oh mighty mod Jim. Strike hard and strike true!

Again, like Kevin is saying you don't have to do this. Nobody is required to do this and I don't want anything that would drive people out of the club. My family is scattered all over the place so you guys are like my secondary family. Brads sleepover is my favorite holiday every year. I love you guys and I wouldn't want to hurt the club. Tuesday night threads are useful for a number of people and they should still keep going for those people that need them. I think all we are wanting to try is something to grow the community a little bit. We aren't even necessarily aiming to grow the club (though that is always good). I would just like to get in some pick up games personally. See while some of you have very restrictive schedules some of us don't. There are nights where I might want to get a game in but know that I really can't because nobody will be there.

This is just a baby step towards fixing what some of us feel is a bit of a problem. One other thing is that I think we need to start going on club road trips to other events. I remember when we went to a few Mugu events we managed to entice some of those guys up here for ours. Going to other clubs is also very healthy for the club not to mention fun as hell. This can be something pushed off for a bit later but just another idea on how we can improve our local scene.

• Like 1

This is just a baby step towards fixing what some of us feel is a bit of a problem. One other thing is that I think we need to start going on club road trips to other events. I remember when we went to a few Mugu events we managed to entice some of those guys up here for ours. Going to other clubs is also very healthy for the club not to mention fun as hell. This can be something pushed off for a bit later but just another idea on how we can improve our local scene.

That and DMB 2012 are some of my favorite Warhamster memories, TSHFTS with Corey :D, OFCCs good times and great people.  I need to read some more posts before I can lend anything at this point, but I feel that this point that JoJo makes is particularly relevant to me

• Like 1

The whole rest of ordo doesn't have a private forum and their clubs seem to do just fine. I don't see why the forum being private is necessary or even good. .

That's actually not true, Joey. There is a private (and hidden) forum for Ordo Senators to post and discuss things. Presumably I have access to it as a moderator, but I've never clicked on it out of respect for their privacy. I'm guessing it serves a pretty necessary function.

• Like 1