DE Executioners: what formation?

So I'm working on a new list to play with a couple of friends who are just getting into / back into Fantasy, and I'm gathering pieces for Dark Elves.

I'm committed to bringing a largish block of Executioners, around 30. I don't have a ton of experience with "true" rank-and-file infantry, due mainly to playing Ogres. I'm curious what would be an effective unit formation? Most of what I've read says to either run them horde, 10x3, or run them 7 wide. Just was wondering what people on the boards thought :)

I strongly recommend horde formation.  You need to max out on the S6 attacks because they don't receive the re-roll from ASF.

However, if you need to save room in your deployment zone I suggest going 7 wide.

Are you planning on running anything else in the unit?  I'd suggest 2 Masters with great weapons for some more CR.

Master w/heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, great weapon

Keep them cheap so that you don't care if/when they die and they'll just give you some more attacks and force your opponent to attack them instead of killing your ranks.  They are still elves and will still die by the dozens when wounded.  A chariot is a nice support option for them.  Lore of Metal is a good compliment to this unit as well.  If you can get scaly skin off on this unit then you have a very solid unit.  If you want them to be able to crush anything they swing at, I'd suggest adding the razor standard on them.

So here is the list I'm working on, if that helps. Was not built with comp / tourny play or anything really in mind, just something to play and have fun with. Wanted something harder than my current Ogre list, but not something Win At All Costs:

Dreadlord

-Heavy Armor

-Sea Dragon Cloak

-Giant Blade

-Dawnstone

-Other Trickster's Shard

-Cold One

Supreme Sorceress

-Lvl 4 (Shadow)

-Dispel Scroll

-Ring of Hotek

-Dark Steed

Master

-BSB

-Heavy Armor

-SDC

-GW

-Luckstone

-Cold One

5 Dark Riders

-Shields and xbows

-Musician

5 Dark Riders

-Shields and xbows

-Musician

35 Corsairs

-XHW

-Standard and Musician

-Banner of Eternal Flame

30 Executioners 

-Standard and Musician

-Banner of Swiftness

8 Cold One Knights

-Full Command

Reaper

Reaper

Hydra

-Flame Breath

6 Warlocks

-Champ

Mini-CoK bus, Sorceress runs with Warlocks. I know Witches are probably better than Corsairs, but I already had some, so money reasons plus I wanted a solid-ish anvil unit. Standards on Dark Riders for core points. Dark Pegasus characters would probably be more optimal, but I had a hard time cutting toys / unit sized to make room for them.

Don't drop the knights. If you drop the knights you have 2 characters left in the wind riding cold ones. Try it out with out the cauldron for a while. Another option, later on, is a bloodwrack shrine for the corsairs.

If I dropped the knights I would mess around with the character loadouts. Probably make the DL on a Dark Pegasus and stick the BSB with the Executioners.

Curious about the Bloodwrack Shrine, haven't looked too much into it. What does it add to the Corsairs, other than some extra combat punch?

If I dropped the knights I would mess around with the character loadouts. Probably make the DL on a Dark Pegasus and stick the BSB with the Executioners.

Curious about the Bloodwrack Shrine, haven't looked too much into it. What does it add to the Corsairs, other than some extra combat punch?

It gives enemy units -1 LD, you gain the 4 no armour save, KB shots from the medusa (which can also be used for stand and shoot), but the big kicker is the special ability for close combat.

All models in base with the medusa (in this case, the shrine) must pass an initiative test (I'm pretty sure it's an initiative test, I don't have my book with me atm, or take a wound with the KB special wound (no armour saves).

If you are supporting this unit with a miasma on the unit they are fighting for the initiative hex, you should kill 3-4 models from this ability alone.  That's huge if you're fighting cavalry because this happens before any blows are struck.   It also allows increases your ranks which give you a better chance to break steadfast on your opponent which will allow you to take greater advantage from the -1 to enemy LD.

I have also seen them run horde with a hag w/ frenzy upgrade. This is a cheap way to give the unit frenzy and you can leave the hag on the corner to avoid having attacks come at her if needed in many situations. 

Personally I would prefer running them horse with no characters and full command. They hit as hard as most characters, and they'll be wide enough that adding the characters doesn't reduce the incoming damage. You're basically trying to stay steadfast. A stripped down master is like 9 more executioners that could be maintaining ranks. You can always move a mounted dreadlord into the unit at the last second to deal with challenges if needed.

Another thing I like was running them with a beasts wizard in the army. Wisen's helps these guys out more than soulblight due to the increased armor penetration.

Haven't run them myself though so this could all be wrong!

I much order the CoB in the unit with silly ness of more attacks, and helping more units.

Since you lose your rerolls you need that extra 10 attacks to swap the odds back.

CoK are fine an dandy. I prefer dark masters.more due to the inevitable blown stupidity, it happens too dam often on my dice.

Dark magic all the way. The two signaturess are over the top and I feel must haves.

Especially if you're running corsairs.