"a leap of faith" and why we need club meetings

intrizic

The tone I'm after here is gentle.

text is a piss poor medium in which to have a discussion.  There so many aspects of human communication that are missing is ridiculous, inflection, facial expression and tone come to mind.

WE ARE NOT AS S HOLES and yet by the magic of forum posts [big bad swear word] goes down.

The Warhamsters need meetings, capital N E E D

There were good points and places to compromise, but because of the magic of forum posts we missed it.

just my two cents

Warhamsters have value for me

• Like 5

The tone I was going for, personally, was "pay attention to what follows because I won't be repeating" a la Gny. R. Lee Ermy USMC Ret.

You bring an interesting point, L. I'm not really "hamster enough" to do meetings anymore really, I think. I've tried to show my support for the club by supporting those that make up its constituency, dropping a mint in DTG and offering up whatever I could in this past year but I've found this to be a fragmented club full of simmering resentments, petty arguments and occasionally a S-load of fun gaming. I'd like to see that change, but I'm only willing to put in work to that end insofar as there's impetus for change. I'm not interested in busting a ss on this for no reason when people really just want the status quo and to occasionally flip out on the forums.

As usual, Loren, you've put things in a very positive light and for that you deserve to be recognized and thanked. I do need to note that though I agree with the statement that "text is a piss poor medium in which to have a discussion" I pretty much meant this weeks posts to be taken as written. No pulling punches - that's my 2015 resolution #4 (I'm starting early to ensure follow-through).

• Like 1

I agree, Loren, meetings would be a better platform for our messages. Quarterly meetings were something I tried to get going before. My follow-through left something to be desired, I'll be the first to admit. However, attendance was consistently lower on days where I scheduled meetings. The last one (where we decided on the name "'Ham Slamwich" for our up-and-coming fantasy tournament consisted of about 6 of us talking quietly in a corner.

If I want to reach a wider audience, the forum is the place, for better or for worse.

• Like 2

I truly believe that the indifference here is stemming from the value we each hold for the Hamsters. I value what being a warhamster is differently then Corey let's say. Not that either is better, it seems that being a warhamster to some is now more of a "who" than a "what". Who we are in the club, defines a fraction of who we are as human beings. To some this isn't just a club you can join, it is a family of people we have grown with, laughed and cried with. A lasting group of friends that care and help each other.

• Like 4

I truly believe that the indifference here is stemming from the value we each hold for the Hamsters. I value what being a warhamster is differently then Corey let's say. Not that either is better, it seems that being a warhamster to some is now more of a "who" than a "what". Who we are in the club, defines a fraction of who we are as human beings. To some this isn't just a club you can join, it is a family of people we have grown with, laughed and cried with. A lasting group of friends that care and help each other.

This

indifference or conflict ?

I totally agree. The subject of "what it takes to be a Warhamster" comes up from time to time and we've always avoided defining it. Do you join the forums? Do you buy a shirt? Do you just declare yourself one and have nobody object? We don't know, but we know one when we see one.

What interests me is why we've never pushed for the answer to this question. The impression I get is because we (for whatever reason) don't fit the rigid political structure of other clubs. We don't like regular meetings, we'd rather just game. When someone wants to get a tournament going (ala Jim and Joey with the 'Ham Slamwich) they just get it done. Same with the leagues we've run etc. We don't tend to bother with the rigmarole of bringing it to the floor, getting a second, and voting. When we do, it's usually just going through motions as we all tend to unanimously vote for whatever someone feels passionate about. Mind you, I'm not complaining. If that's how we work, then that's the way it is, because bottom line: I like the way we work.

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.