Escalation League Week 6, November 9th: Hero Hammer

Under the section of ridden monsters, it says that when the monster's base is touched by a template, either from a spell or warmachine, then both models are hit. If there is a strength difference (ie stone thrower), then randomize to see who gets hit by the higher strength.

Under characteristic test, it said that in the case where a model has more than one value (or unit), then use the highest.

So basically, the dragon and the vamp are hit, but as they are a single unit, they both use the highest value.

• Like 1

Under the section of ridden monsters, it says that when the monster's base is touched by a template, either from a spell or warmachine, then both models are hit. If there is a strength difference (ie stone thrower), then randomize to see who gets hit by the higher strength.

Under characteristic test, it said that in the case where a model has more than one value (or unit), then use the highest.

So basically, the dragon and the vamp are hit, but as they are a single unit, they both use the highest value.

The FAQ states that if the unit needs to take a characteristic test then the highest value is used. It also states that if each model needs to take a characteristic test then each model uses there own characteristic value. The spell I used for my example says that each model needs to take an initiative test.

my understanding is that as a single model with split characteristics both the dragon and rider are hit (this following the template rule) and they both test off of the highest value (following the FAQ).

That's not what the faq states.

If a "unit" is forced to taked a characteristic test then the highest value is used. If "each model" needs to take a characteristic test then each model takes the characteristic test using their own characteristic value.

If a lord and dragon are hit by a stonethrower or cannon they are each hit seperately because of the template rules.

OK, I kind of get it. Basically, 90% of the time, each part of the dragon/rider model tests independently. However, if it has to take a panic check (only unit wide test I could think of) it uses the riders leadership. If there are other unit scope spells or abilities, then you use the rider (assuming it's higher).

Most spells that would run into this say "each model in the unit/under the template." I cannot think of many characteristic tests that specifically say "the unit" other than leadership tests.

Ok, I said I would do some research of my own for this topic and at this time I have completed such research.  I completely agree that if a ridden monster needs to take a characteristic test that it will use the riders characteristic if it is higher than theirs.  The only thing I was able to find was that spells, such as those from Lore of Death, which specifically pick a target will use the characteristic of the targeted model.

So, yup, both the rider and monster take a characteristic test from spells which use templates and then they both use the highest characteristic value.

• Like 1

Ugh, I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but the section on characters and mounts kind of spells things out differently. Page 105 of the little red book. Under Templates. Here is throws things all out of whack because it states the term "model".

In the case of a stone thrower, which inflicts hits at two different strengths, only one model will be hit at the higher strength (assuming that model's base is under the center of the template). Yada yada yada... All other models are hit at the lower strength value.

It is the only place I have seen them reference the rider and mount as separate models. In other sections, they refer to them as character and mount. But there....it uses "models". So therefore, in the case where a template spell makes each model take a test....

Ugh, I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but the section on characters and mounts kind of spells things out differently. Page 105 of the little red book. Under Templates. Here is throws things all out of whack because it states the term "model".

It is the only place I have seen them reference the rider and mount as separate models. In other sections, they refer to them as character and mount. But there....it uses "models". So therefore, in the case where a template spell makes each model take a test....

Yes, it does state each model takes a characteristic test but since it is a single model they will both use the highest value.  The rules for the template just means that both the rider and the mount will have to take the characteristic test, for spells which use a template, but then they will still use the highest characteristic value.

The only thing I was able to find in the FAQ was that if the monster or rider is hit by a spell which picks out the target, like Fate of Bjuna (which I believe was the spell they used in the FAQ example) then you will roll against that target characteristic and not the highest.

So yes, both the rider and the monster are hit by the template and yes they both take a characteristic test, but they will use the highest value when hit by a spell like purple sun, pit of shades, or black horror.

So are we ONLY bringing lords and heroes this week, or is it just no point limitations on lords and heroes

Either way, i think I'm only bringing characters >:)

Rudra,

You can bring as many heroes and lords as you like. However, somebody can still take a standard list or a list with 25 core and 75% lords and heroes, etc….

RD