Mycetic Spore is Back!

fluger

via an anonymous sources on Faeit 212 *****
Tyranid Tyrannocyte/Sporocyst & Mucolid Spore $60 approx
A multipart plastic boxed set that makes either one Tyranid Tyrannocyte (Drop Pod) or one Tyranid Sporocyst (Weapons Bunker) and a Mucolid Spore (Giant Spore Mine)

Crimson Slaughter - A Dark Vengeance Expansion Set $127 approx
Includes 5 Cultists, 5 Chaos Terminators, 5 Raptors, 1 Land Raider.

Dark Angels - A Dark Vengeance Expansion Set $136 approx
Includes a Ravenwing Command Squad, 5 Deathwing Knights and a Dark Talon.

The Pestilent Swarm $191 approx
Includes a Maggoth Lord, 5 Putrid Blightkings, 10 Plaguebearers, 3 Plague Drones and 3 bases of Nurgling

Mucolids are pretty good. S8 AP3 Ignores Cover is no joke for a profile and 15pts/shot with them is more than acceptable. best of all, they can fill your useless Troop slots. And hey, taking down flyers/FMCs? That's just gravy.

Sporocytes are... interesting. HS has some competition, but pumping out bomb critters could potentially be really handy and it can get pretty good guns. A couple of them could pretty easily give you midfield dominance thanks to the torrent of pie plates from both them and their spawned units.

The Tyrannocyte is neat and potentially pretty handy, but I think a LOT of people are jumping on it way too quickly. First off, it's 75pts, which is not a small amount. Second, it's T5 with a 4+ save; having six Wounds is nice, but it's not that tough at the end of the day. Third, it doesn't break any special reserve rules, so you don't even get to start rolling until turn 2. This means that relying on Tyrannocytes as an army strategy or as an assault delivery platform is going to be dicey at best. Now, dumping something like a Dimachaeron or Malanthrope into the enemy's field could be pretty nasty, especially because the Tyrannocyte can assault something alongside it, but I would be a bit hesitant to say that it will really change the Tyranid game plan any at this point.

• Like 1

Fluger the five gun thing is why I figured instinctive would let them fire more guns, but I was holding judgement until instinctive fire was out. Glad to see GW actually knew their rules.

I could see a shooty fex blasts transport and then watch the spore pour fire into the squad bailing out! GW even made sure the spore fires last so it can clean up the area or allow the bid player to try and kill things to control the target of the pods.

• Like 1

I don't see that thing on a stand, just on its little spindly tentacles. Makes me wonder if anyone at GW actually carries armies around.

Having just built a couple of the Morghasts, I have to say GW's got that down. Those things are Daemon Prince sized, and just held up on a couple of spindly bits of spirit mist, but once I got them glued down, they feel perfectly solid. Even a couple of years ago, I would have been concerned about sculpts like this, but at this point, I think they're OK.

Also, for everyone talking about upgrading the guns: Do you really want to be spamming BS2 Blasts right next to all the stuff you just dropped in? I'll stick with the DeathSpitters that at least can't hurt my own dudes.

Also, for everyone talking about upgrading the guns: Do you really want to be spamming BS2 Blasts right next to all the stuff you just dropped in? I'll stick with the DeathSpitters that at least can't hurt my own dudes.

I think it depends on what you drop.  If you are dropping combat fexes, you can put them behind the cyst and let it shoot away and not worry.  

Without some equivalent of Drop Pod Assault, this is still too slow for Combat Fexen. Dakka Fexen are already getting Turn 2 shots reliably on foot, and it's not worth 75+ Points to maybe also get them a Turn 3 Charge. These are only gonna really be worthwhile for the fragile and short-ranged stuff like DevilGaunts, some Warrior builds, Zoanthropes, and maybe Pyrovores.

Depends on what you're bringing in. I'm not all that scared of hitting my MCs with a S4 blast weapon, and honestly I don't think they will be very useful for transporting little bugs because it's not worth the cost. Why pay 75pts to transport a squad that only costs 120pts?

Btw swarmlord! Push up with lots of things drop in turn two and be scary!

But Swarmlord isn't actually very good. He's a weak psyker, not survivable enough in melee given his cost, and unable to compete with other top-end melee units in even the best of circumstances.

Depends on what you're bringing in. I'm not all that scared of hitting my MCs with a S4 blast weapon, and honestly I don't think they will be very useful for transporting little bugs because it's not worth the cost. Why pay 75pts to transport a squad that only costs 120pts?

Nids don't really have much of anything droppable that's expensive enough to get a really good cost ratio on that. A Combat Fex (as usually kitted out) is only 135. 150 for a Stone-Crusher. Even the Toxicrene is only 160. I think it's gonna be the Warrior-class stuff where it really ends up being worthwhile, if anything.

I look at this and find myself wanting to drop 20 termagants with devourers. 235 points for 60 S4 shots and 15 S5 shots? Hard to beat a value like that. I loved that unit with the 5th ed dex. Now, it's overall a cheaper unit. Before it was 240 points. And, now it's more shots, and a more resilient pod. Mix those with a couple of fast progressing venoms, and a couple flyrants to give FNP... and you can realistically have 1 or 2 units with a 5+ cover, and 5+ fnp. Makes them resilient enough to make someone think twice about shooting, but they can't just let them live..... Fitting 4 of those into an army is easy enough. And 240 S4 shots isn't to be sneezed at. Unless you're armor 11+.