Our Government

huggies01

Jesus Christ Guys. No Kevin should not step down.

I am also so so so so so so so so so tired of events or cool ideas not following through. In order to have good events we need a well oiled government. If that is Kevin and Joey rolling around naked in Lubriderm then so be it.

All I am saying is our government is one ineffective steamy pile of duck [big bad swear word]. That is no ones fault but all of ours.

First, you have NO IDEA how difficult it is to keep him as President, none.

I'll own that.  I had a grand plan for a 40k tourney, I fell into some [big bad swear word] in my personal life and bailed.  I am accountable for that.

I just have to agree with Jim on this.  Even being a lowly OFCC captain takes a crazy amount of effort.  Look around at the clubs that you know that pull off successful events, Ordo Fanaticus and Da Mommaz Boyz.  It takes an ENTIRE CLUB EFFORT to pull those events off, and we can't even rally around a monthly gaming event.

I've had one other club before the Warhamster's and I've been a regular gamer at 4 different FLGS at this point.  I have to strongly agree with Jim, this is the place I want to be.  You guys are pretty [big bad swear word]ing epic, in your individual nerdy/geeky sort of ways.

• Like 1

Two Marshall Johnson awards. Dammit. ;)

I really like this group of gamers, also.

I think the friction comes in when we try to grok what it means to be a 'club'. If we're just a group of gamers, maybe we don't need any formal club structure - we just get done what needs to be done. If we'd like to be more of a club, then we could probably use a little more structure.

TBH, I stopped participating in club meetings because it seemed to be me to be just a veneer on being a bunch of gamers. There was no real need for structure or voting across the whole body, as the only thing we did collectively was OFCC and special events, and those were pretty much managed by Team Captains or the event organizer, and there really wasn't any need for involvement of the club 'body'.

This is why I salute Kevin for trying to get folks involved.

I think it would be worthwhile to get together and decide collectively if we would like to be more of a club, or if we should not worry about it and just be a group of dudez with the same sweatshirt.

N

• Like 1

(tone here: Meloncholy)

I agree with Joey, we need more involvement in the PNW. Or the gaming community for that matter. Our problem is we as a club aren't following through. We dream a MLK dream and never follow up on that. People say, "oh yeah we should do this, or this great thing," but don't follow through. To me it is mentally exhausting. I see the talent in this club. It is overflowing, bursting at the seems if you will. But it seems we aren't capitalizing on this. We can all dream, but can we follow through.

In my eyes this club is the best. I really think that. We have the most talent and best people. I want us to be the best. Why is it people recognize the Momma's Boyz and not the Warhamsters? If you are currently thinking of a response to justify this question then that is quitter quitter baseball hitter talk. The answer is we can and should be. I want to be in a club that has ambition. The go and get it mentality. Not the "well in this place these guys do it this way" talk. We can pave the road. We can make the rules. We can be the centerpiece in the PNW. That is the club I want to belong to. I want to build a legacy.

And to be honest guys, this club is the only reason I am still hanging out with you guys. OFCC burned me out for 40k. I don't like playing any other games, so all I have left is the club. If we don't want to improve our selves that's cool. But some of us do. And how awesome would it feel to walk into the OFCC scene, and people say oh "YOUR'RE in the Warhamsters?" Yeah I get OFCC is about meeting friends hanging out and having fun. But remember we can have the cake and eat it too. We can hang out and still be the best. Why would you not want that?

Just some food for thought here.

Shae, I think you've touched on part of why it's difficult to conceptualize a self-identity for the Warhamsters right now - we're no longer a 1-game club. As I understand it, the Warhamsters were founded in Warhammer Fantasy, and then branched out into 40k and Malifaux. Currently, it seems like most 'Hamsters play 40k, with Fantasy a second, and then a bunch of other games making up the rest. Unfortunately, I think events in the greater gaming community at large have burned various persons out on one system or another, so while their used to be a good deal of overlap, there are now several people, including myself, who have written off games or companies, and that makes it harder to find cohesion.

But what we are all saying, is this group is the shiznit. We just have to get together and discuss what it means to be Warhamsters, and probably vote on whether we want more or less structure to the club.

• Like 3

I had a post started up last week on this, but didn't get around to posting it so now I'm making up for lost time!

I've been a member of the Warhamsters governing body since we started holding meetings and have seen a lot of changes. In the early days, there was a lot of involvement and scheduled meetings, largely because we had a lot of stuff we needed to work out with setting things up and getting it all rolling, but over time attendance dropped off as people got comfortable in our structure and decided that there wasn't really a need to attend the meetings we set up or get involved at all. This isn't entirely a bad thing as things were going smoothly and we didn't really have a need to discuss much, still it did leave us wholly unprepared for a situation where we did have something come up that really should have been discussed in a meeting, in person, instead of on a forum.

I think we need to get back to holding more meetings, on a regular basis. Even if we don't have a lot to go over, if people care about the Warhamsters as a club and want to voice their opinions on its structure, management, and plans, then people need to take the time to come down, listen to whatever we discuss, and vote. I propose we start having monthly meetings. Starting on the first Tuesday in December, and continuing every month on the first Tuesday, we need to sit down as a club and spend 15-30 minutes to go over any new business (like the pickup game thing), ongoing business (like tournament planning), or whatever people want to talk about.

I don't think Kevin should "step down" as President. Or at the very least, no one should be telling Kevin to step down as President or making him feel like he should. That said, I sort of agree with what Joey posted that we might be getting to a point where we don't necessarily need "offices" anymore and would be better off moving to a larger Senatorial system where we still have people assigned certain tasks (being signers on bank accounts, conducting meetings, etc), but no active participating club member would have more voting power than another. I'd like to discuss this idea more in person at a meeting, which brings me to...

We need to have a meeting, soon. I propose Tuesday, November 18th. We clearly have things we need to discuss. I don't think the club is in a bad state either, but we need to all get on the same page on this stuff and maybe talk about what is and isn't working.

• Like 1

No officer had any more voting per than another...

Basically the officers are just back account signers with an extra responsibility. Only thing fancy about president was the idea of calling the meetings. Also Kacy you are right we have had very few reasons for meetings recently which for one was why i hadn't shown up to some of the more recent ones.

Original idea was one meeting a quarter or four a year with a late November early December one being the election meeting.

I'm not sure we have enough for monthly meeting especially at the beginning of game night. We are really struggling with an exclusivity issue right now, I'm not a proponent of throwing our hamster things out there once a month and looking like even more of a responsible/irresponsible club than we already do.

I just see the room even more divided if we have monthly meetings with others standing around waiting for pickup games or just to play with one of us.

• Like 1

No officer had any more voting per than another...

Basically the officers are just back account signers with an extra responsibility. Only thing fancy about president was the idea of calling the meetings.

Currently officers have more ability to set the direction of the club than regular members. Our current system allows officers to meet in private and make decisions if there isn't time to convene a meeting. In addition, the role of the "President" is looked upon as a leadership figure if it is intended to be or not. I don't think that any officers current or past have shirked their duties and need to abandon their offices for that reason, the idea would just be to get more people involved by having a broader, more inclusive power structure than we do at the moment and removing the yoke of perceived leadership that inevitably follows the title of President.

Also Kacy you are right we have had very few reasons for meetings recently which for one was why i hadn't shown up to some of the more recent ones.

Original idea was one meeting a quarter or four a year with a late November early December one being the election meeting.

I'm not sure we have enough for monthly meeting especially at the beginning of game night. We are really struggling with an exclusivity issue right now, I'm not a proponent of throwing our hamster things out there once a month and looking like even more of a responsible/irresponsible club than we already do.

I just see the room even more divided if we have monthly meetings with others standing around waiting for pickup games or just to play with one of us.

I don't see this as an issue, or at least not an issue that we can't work around. It could be turned into an inclusive thing where part of the meeting is reaching out to new gamers. It could be held at 5:30 at The Local so as to not even intrude upon the game room. If, as in the past years, there isn't really much to talk about, the meetings would be quick and painless, but if we had a situation where something comes up that does need to be discussed in more detail, it would give us the structure in place to bring those issues to the floor and get some more focused discussion going than if we just make a forum thread about it that ends up getting out of hand.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.