Help me plan my family trip to England

Weav

Howdy, Ordo world travelers! I am planning a soccer-heavy trip to England in 2015, but I would like some feedback on other family friendly things to do. Yes, I have Google searched, but there are soooo many suggestions, it's overwhelming. 

So, if you've been there or have wanted to go, please list some English must-do's like GW, Bath, Stonehenge, Buckingham, Tower Bridge, etc...

• Like 1

It's called football!!!!!!! Lol

If you want to get a real feel for England then spend as little time in London as possible and get out into the country side and find some nice pubs! Depending on how much driving you want to do........

Stonehenge (pagan stuff), Bath (for the roman stuff), York (for the Viking stuff), get out to the Yorkshire dales for a hike (amazing sites) if you are into GW stuff a trip to GW headquarters in Nottingham is a must. Check out Warwick castle as well as its my favorite castle in England.

If you are fine with all the driving on our crazy motorways then head down to Cornwall and Devon to check out the beaches and seaside towns. (Also the best fish and chips down there.)

A lot of yanks spend too much time in London and don't get a feel for the whole country. It's like me going to NYC and basing the whole of the USA on that.

Which football games are you planning on going to whilst you are there?

Sam

• Like 1

Ah where to start, there are so many wonderful things.  On our last trip my daughter was seven, and he favorite things were Warwick castle (very tourist oriented and not my favorite, but good for kids), the British Museum (we spent the entire day here from open to close, and she wished we could have stayed more), the Tower of London, and Hampton Court.  On pervious trips we've enjoyed Bath, and I recommend that highly.  A theater show is always a good family trip in the evening.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys. There are some great suggestions in here, and I hope the I out keeps coming.

Sam, as far as which games I want to see, I've decided on a minimum of three games. I want to see Spurs, since they are my son and my favorite team. I also want to see a small club, like a Leyton Orient or other League One or League Two team. We will also be in the UK during a Champions League and Europa League week, so if I could see something like Man City vs Bayern or Madrid, I'd cream my jeans ????

We have discussed taking the Channel Tunnel over to Calais for the afternoon, but it's only another two hours to Paris, so we may stay one night there. If I could catch a PSG game and take my family to the Eiffel Tower, that would be great.

• Like 1

I would LOVE to visit Isaly, but I doubt I can fit it in to this trip. I would hit up Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Ardbeg and the rest, but my wife and kids would be bored stupid. It's also time consuming and difficult to get to. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I wouldn't mind seeing an Old Firm if Rangers get promoted.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in a towne called Ipswich. I would definitely spend time in Suffolk. We have the best pubs and is home to Cradle of Filth, Extreme Noise Terror, the Adicts, and other great bands. Nottingham is not too far, but don't expect to see much of Sherwood forest. I like a good gastropub (pub with good food) and more of the punk rock sort of pubs. You may want to visit a theme pub,where they serve medeival banquets and have wenches bring you meade and ale. There are occasional jousting tournaments too for tourists. When you are in London go to the British Museum of Natural History. My favorite Football team is Millwall and if you are lucky you may be able to participate in a riot.

You should also try visiting a seaside towne as well like Felixstowe.or Blackpool. The have a diffrent feel to them than the countryside does. Walk along the beach and enjoy some jellied eels and whelks.