Solo play

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I am not a video gamer anymore but still have a gamer craving. I am interested in some good recommendations for board games that you can play solo.

So far I have:

Gears of war 7/10 man this plays like the game brutal and hard. The models are amazing for the Price and the AI is simple random card flip. Difficulty is fun. Complaint is too straight forward.

Pathfinder adventure card game 9/10 I really enjoy the mechanic and the difficulty. More than anything plays well as a pick up and go rpg campaign. So far 3 scenarios completed. I can see this getting a little boring over time, but for now I am very happy.

I have labrynth coming soon. Very excited about the AI in this.

I also have intruder 7/10, fun game but I hate saying the graphics are a bit dated. Though I love the concept and it jalap has great AI. I hope they reprint this and update it.

I'm looking for any and all suggestions. I very much like story driven and my top 4 genres are scifi, horror, fantasy, and city building.

• Like 1

I don't have any board games that are specifically intended for solo play, but I agree with Shmitty that many coop games can be played as solo games. Pandemic and Sentinels of the Multiverse, for example, would both work solo. I wouldn't try it with something like Space Alert though.

Still, I feel that a good single player PC game is more fun than playing a board game by yourself.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Thanks guys, I played video games for ages, but the mental challenge and excersize of a solo board game is far more enriching.

Much like the difference between reading and watching a movie, it requires more from the participant.

I guess for me what coops have a strong and random AI, that I guess is what I'm looking for, something that I not just going through steps. I want to be forced to react.

I have labrynth coming soon. Very excited about the AI in this.

If you mean the War on Terror simulation from GMT then you've done pretty good.  Volko Ruhnke does a great job with his games and the AI is particularly good in that it generally tries to make the game more interesting for the player by trying to f with the player rather than just 'winning.'  If you enjoy that one I would suggest the COIN series that he designed.  Everything post Andean Abyss has AI for all the factions so you have 4 choices on who to play for any game.  I've never managed to win Cuba Libre against the AI and the AI in A Distant Plain (afganistan) is really fun to play against.  I almost always bring one of the games with me on work trips so I have something to do in my hotel room.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I do xipe, good to here.

Esperatus, zombiecide is a great game like super dungeon explorer but I find AI to be too simple and predictable, same complaint as gears which is a bit more random. To me the AI is entirely not tactical but instead more of a resource management. I think these coops as better social games.

To think labrynth is more of an AI that tries to f with you is more appealing. As the risk it takes can sometimes have powerful consequences. To watch it take a risk no sane person would that succeeds is fun to play against.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Yeah would love to but not for $60 bucks. I don't mind dropping $60 on modern game as quality is there. I will wait for the never happening reprint ;)

Are all gmt coin long games like that? Also how is put down and pick up on it? I don't have 4 consecutive hours I could burn.

Yeah would love to but not for $60 bucks. I don't mind dropping $60 on modern game as quality is there. I will wait for the never happening reprint ;)

Are all gmt coin long games like that? Also how is put down and pick up on it? I don't have 4 consecutive hours I could burn.

I'm fairly proficient with the COIN series and I drop 2-3 hours minimum per game solo play.

I played a full game of (old school) Axis and Allies once, solo, when I was stuck out in the middle of nowhere with my parents as a kid.  It was like playing chess against yourself.  No surprises, except when inspiration strikes or the dice make it so...

Solo 40k is very similar.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Right now I'm playing pathfinder acg rise of rune lord and am almost through the first path. I'm really enjoying this game.

The solo play is challenging and the ability to personalize is great. I was playing 4 characters then added a fifth, I even solo caught up with fifth. I found party of one easy and fast played 5 scenarios in 1:30 that included setup. 4 was kind of easy, 5 is a really nice challenge as the fifth wears the blessing deck quicker however risk of dying is less. I think 3 is the hardest challenge, greatest chance of death. I have only died twice out of 12 sessions and I choose to reset character to default so I will solo back up. I have also failed three times.

The setup time is moderate. I find shuffling such small decks is really hard to randomize. I am good at knowing so I might invest in a mechanical shuffler.

I give this a solid 9/10 for what im looking for. The campaign is a major plus and the leveling more so. The difficulty is mixed I wish it to be harder but I struggle to downsize my party as I like leveling so much. I already am eyeing its two sequels.

Any solitaire games with campaigns influenced by previous sessions that could be recommended.