40k Blues

Xavier319

Hey everyone. Been dealing with health problems and some work overload here, but surviving. The titular blues are based on the fact that literally no one here plays 40k. ;_;  I'm a very sad panda. If this is going to be the situation here for the next four or five years, I may sell off my 40k stuff and get out of the hobby. I need the money and I am using none of it. I can't even get up interest for a small league, like 400 to 1000 points or so, as it is SO expensive now to even buy a single unit of infantry and a rhino or something, that people are deathly afraid of touching the game. These guys can barely afford cheaper wargames like warmachine. ANy ideas of ways I can get people into the game short of just giving them all models? xD 

well...  The main way is to talk to the shop owner and ask them to offer a single Troops box to people at 45% off during Game night (so for example from 6PM to 9PM) but you have to play one game of Warhammer to get it.

They are essentially GIVING it away without giving it away, once per month, but requiring a 2K army to get in on the deal.  It will bring the regular playerrs out of the wood works and those players can let newer people borrow armies while they build up their stock of troopss.  Maybe the shop can do an Elite one month and a Troop the next.

This is what is called in Retail, a "loss leader".  Common as rain.  You sell the soda for nothing so people will buy all their other stuff while they are already at your store.

That is my first suggestion.

I want credit if you use my idea!  Lol.

I'll suggest it. THe problem is, it's a small college town, and I've asked the various peeps that are into wargames, and they dont have any armies. THe biggest issue is all the old players who played 40k, seem to have lost interest in the game when it started releasing books and supplaments like crazy, and fliers and lords of war seem to have ruined it in this small meta. i ask and it's always "yeah i used to play, then fliers and titans and stuff in regular games.. i cant keep up with it anymore... etc. I'll try that though.

Do it under the guise of a themed campaign. You can come up with your own missions (and thus limitations on army building) in order to force a more friendly meta. Small team games are great for breaking down that total fear of losing. For whatever reason, it seems to give you hope to play with someone else on your side. :)

You could even make it more narrative. Say for instance, you allow them 250pts for an HQ choice, and two troops, but no vehicles. The mission is that they have to investigate some ruins trying to recover blah blah blah. You then DM the other side with something like nids or necrons or the like to try and hinder them. In the end, they should win the objective.

Basically, create an environment that they are more comfortable with. The current 40K is fairly different from back when I started long ago...and it is overwhelming at times. There is no reason to jump into that right from the start. Show them a version of the game that they are more used to. Introduce the new aspects of it slowly. At least you'll be playing.

Smaller games. 40k, using unbound rules, works just fine for all armies at around 500pts. Entry is much more reasonable. Then allow for team games to make a larger game, so players with bigger armies can play too.

Suggest pirate bay for books (sinister, I know, but for entry, you have to get them enjoying the game, then encourage them to purchase the books). GW has picked a real poor entry fee regarding the books for this game. If you already own the books, could just let them borrow those, instead (which is basically the same thing as using the pirate bay).

Strongly suggest a ban on special/unique characters, Formations, dataslates, lords of war, and FW units/rules. I'm talking the 500pt mark, so anything that's unbalanced a bit, becomes rapidly overpowered at very low point levels. Also better for learning the game.

At 500pts, bring two or three armies, so you can share.

For Fantasy what we did was build 750 point forces, like 2 or 3 of them.  then we invited people and you randomly chose the army you would play each round.  Hehehe.  THAT was a blast.  You numbered the armies, put them in a hat and hen people just drew each round.  Three rounds.  A lot of fun.  EXISTING players can do a lot to get newer players into it.  Butthe little push from the store is still needed i think.

Although I live close enough to Portland to get games, my actual local area (Saint Helens, Oregon) has a 40K scene similar to yours. The few players that did exist have abandonned 40K and/or have their own precious metagame that's more important to them than playing real 40K.

If that's what you have to work with, see if you can play using their meta, or something new like Kill Team or Inquisimunda that they aren't sour on.

In a college town there will undoubtedly be 40K players who have no gaming contacts in their new environment, including people who play "real" 40K but didn't bring an army to college. There should be some way to make contact with those gamers.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I live close enough to Portland to get games, my actual local area (Saint Helens, Oregon) has a 40K scene similar to yours. The few players that did exist have abandonned 40K and/or have their own precious metagame that's more important to them than playing real 40K.

If that's what you have to work with, see if you can play using their meta, or something new like Kill Team or Inquisimunda that they aren't sour on.

In a college town there will undoubtedly be 40K players who have no gaming contacts in their new environment, including people who play "real" 40K but didn't bring an army to college. There should be some way to make contact with those gamers.

My brothers live in St Helens, we and a couple friends primarily play fantasy, but I roll out there few times a month and would be willing to play smaller 40k games. I vastly prefer single codex, small game type stuff so may not be your cup of tea but the thought is out there