Help With Slamwich List

Yarbicus

OK, here is the list I have worked up.  Ideas?  How should I kit out the characters?  What Lores?

Slaan (BSB and General)

3xSkink Chieftan on Ripper

3xSkink Priest

46 Suarus w/full command

3x10 Skink Skirms

2 Stegs

Bastillidon

Trog

Salamander

That leaves me with about 300 points to play with in kit, etc.  The Swiss system puts this right in the 9-10 point range which is excellent.

3 Skink Priests? Personally, I would call that overkill. You'll have too many spells and not enough dice. One definitely to help with the line of sight stuff.

I'd consider calling the Chiefs on birds to be Tera's rather then Rippers so you can use them for more purposes and not worry about frenzy checks when you want to do it (ala divert. Or flee. Or not charge a Jugger Knights right in the face).

One of those flying puppies could roll with something like LA, Shield, Spear, DragonHelm, Egg of Quango. Protects from flaming warmachines and then you can go bust an egg into the flank of some monstrous Cav or the like.

Another with a charmed shield to hopefully help the one cannon shot before the chief eats it.

3 Skink Priests? Personally, I would call that overkill. You'll have too many spells and not enough dice. One definitely to help with the line of sight stuff.

I'd consider calling the Chiefs on birds to be Tera's rather then Rippers so you can use them for more purposes and not worry about frenzy checks when you want to do it (ala divert. Or flee. Or not charge a Jugger Knights right in the face).

One of those flying puppies could roll with something like LA, Shield, Spear, DragonHelm, Egg of Quango. Protects from flaming warmachines and then you can go bust an egg into the flank of some monstrous Cav or the like.

Another with a charmed shield to hopefully help the one cannon shot before the chief eats it.

Excellent and I was actually considering some of these.  What about magic lore and Disciplines for the Slaan?  I don't want to overdo it with him but need some advice.

This is where Lizard players split and I find it depends a lot on your play style.

High is a damn useful lore so I can see going for the Lore Master on it. Arcane Unforging is one of the best spells going right now. Banner of the World Dragon/Runefang/4++ ward you say?  Nope. However, while dropping spells for others is nice, sometimes it means you don't have what you want when you want it. It doesn't help if you get the metal sig spells the turn after Jugger's rip the heart out of your Temple Guard. You really have to treat it as the utility lore it is to support the army, rather the have the army support it. The latter is how a low of people play their Slann's or expect to use them in that manner.

Then there's the Wandering Slann, which I like. The utility of all the sig spells is crazy good. And if you're going to stick the Slann in with the Saurus, you can make them damn scary. Fighting Saurus is one thing. Fighting Saurus with Regen (via Earth Blood), +1S/+1T (via Wyssan's) and being -1 to hit them (via Ice Shard) is something else entirely. And something that's not all that hard to do given the spells values and the +4 to cast.

Finally in your case, there's Death. Death isn't a bad choice for this army for a couple of reasons. The first is that the range is mitigated via a Skink Priest and the guy on the Troglodon. The second is that you don't have any Scar Vets so cracking tough targets with good armour is going to be a serious issue. And thirdly, since you're using standard Saurus instead of Temple Guard and quite a lot of them, blowing some of them up via Miscast isn't as disastrous as it would be if you were in a unit of say 21 to 26 Temple Guard. Fourthly, you might have trouble picking up points and Death would let you do that via the snipes.

That being said, Death is comped crazy hard in Swedish so I can't see going that route. Personally, I'd be going Wandering as I love the ultimate utility of the Siggies but that's just me. For me, playing Lizards is all about taking small risks that won't lose you the game but might win it and always having a spell that could help those instances via the Signatures is very useful.

Really though, your list lives and dies by that Saurus block. Anything that makes them better, has to be the priority of the Slann, whatever you choose that to be.

• Like 1

You're due a new one anyways Kacy. Just make sure no one at the event has a heart condition. We don't want any fatalities except for those Yarb causes on the table.

Are you playing WHFB again these days? Whenever the Gov get's off it's behind and gives me my new passport, I'd like to swing down for some games.

Man, I love you guys!

I'm taking night goblins and had this notion in my head I might be able to place dead last... Then yarb comes along and decides to show up with a list that sounds like the swedish comp won't favor it. If we end up playing in the end I feel like I will literally have to try and lose. That just isn't the way i play. Come on gobos fail for me, you can be as bad as yarb!

:D

Yeah, I was dead last.  I had a perfect Sports score but didn't win Best Sports because the tie breaker was battle points. :lol:

I rather liked having the sig spell from all the Lores.  Great flexibility.  However, once again, I feel that the Slaan under-performs for how expensive he is.  And Saurus just don't work for a retinue; he needs Temple Guard or just go off on his own.

I did REALLY like the the three Chieftans on Terras, though.  They never got into combat but did a great job of redirecting and keeping individual Characters running around.

Well, the Slaan isn't so much about projecting to get points (though that's useful), it's more about locking points away that your opponent doesn't get, thus reducing how much you can loose by. In theory. Frankly, in the 20-0 scoring systems for games, Lizardmen are crap unless you're really, really good with them. They have to give up a lot of points to get their opportunity for points back.

Sounds like the Tera Chief's were good fun. Maybe consider going fighty with the amount of monsters you have? Bin the frog, keep the Tera chiefs and nab two skink priests with the Cube and a Scroll then roll the rest of the Slann's points into two Oldbloods on Cold Ones. They're so punchy on their own, you don't really need to kit them out with much to make them damn scary.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.