Robotech RPG Tactics

shmitty

My Robotech Kickstarter swag (at least the first half of it) arrived today. Some quick thoughts:

Damn, that is a lot of plastic. This may take some time to assemble.

The details on the models are very nice.

The rule book is well put together. Concise, but with good diagrams and a nice paint scheme guide.

Seems solid. Hopefully I can get enough built to get a feel for the game fairly soon.

Ok, I missed this one.  Who is doing it?  Publisher, etc.  I was talking with John Cadice at PAX 2 years ago and we were talking Robotech and Robotech minis.  The minis he had with him were prototypes that he was working on getting printed and I just recently followed up to see what had happened to that line.  I expected it to be coming through Sodapop....

Fill me in on the poop, especially on how the rules look as I had some concerns based on what he and I talked about back then.

Still curious about the ruleset.  Was it written by Kevin Siembieda like all the other Palladium stuff?  Is he still illiterate and refusing an editor or proof-reader?  When I talked to Cadice one of the concerns he expressed was that the deal involved satisfying the owners of the Robotech IP and they had specific ideas which were not functional in game (like 75% of their details were about how things functioned in the anime and so they were going to be writing pages upon pages of rules for things that would not apply in a tabletop scale game)...  Did that stuff get cleaned up into a functional ruleset for tabletop play or is it an incoherent mess or what?

So here's how this all worked out from how I understand it:

The rules, miniature sculpts and graphic design/layout, etc, were all done by Ninja Division.  That group includes both Soda Pop Miniatures who do Relic Knights and Super Dungeon Explorer.  Cipher Studios does Anima Tactics and HellDorado. The guy who wrote the original rules concepts has been doing game design for around a decade.  They did have a lot of input, even overbearing sometimes, from Palladium.  They were told to include basically everything that they could.  Of course, due to size they couldn't make an actual SDF-1, but I believe that they had an option to get just the bridge area.

I don't know if Kevin had anything "final say" other than a few points that they wanted here and there. 

Now mind you, I haven't read the rules in the box, so I don't know how they varied from the ones I played, but the game involves a lot of dice.  Your Veritech's start a turn in each mode, and each has their own bonus and deficit; for instance, in Battloid you shoot your GU-11 a lot better than you do in plane or Guardian mode, but you are slow as hell comparatively.  The regular non-transformable Mecha isn't quite as worthless as it is in the Cartoon.  

They did have to appease the licensor to some extent, however, they're more of how things look overall in models and such, Palladium had more stretch with the rules.

Mind you, my memory is fuzzy on some aspects, and these are the ones I remember fairly well.  The game was fun, fast paced, and made me feel like I was in the cartoon, and that was the biggest point to it.  It also combos extremely well with Dropzone's terrain.

Having read through the book, the rules seem fine. I won't know for certain until I've played a few games. There are definitely rules for LARGE missile volleys and the ability to shoot them down,

A couple of oddities from the RPG system got translated over, but shouldn't have a negative impact on gameplay. There are a ridiculous number of hand to hand combat options, which probably won't be used all that often.

And yes, I bought the Dropsone Commander cityscape just for this game. (Which I then liked so much that I started playing Dropsone.)

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

So I' backed it as well at Battle cry. I've painted up a attack and VF squad along with me Destroids. Overall I have to say the game is fun and fast paced. So far the Zentradi have won 2 and the UDEF have won 2 of the games I've played. I'm at Haven Games in Salem OR if you wana have a game. I'm hoping by March we can do a 100 to 150 point tournament or game day.  

• 2 weeks later...