Exorcists Assault Centurions?

10 Attacks hitting on 6s with re-rolls is more like 3 Hits, maybe 4 with a bit of luck. Invisible ThunderWolves are still a major pain, tho.

Yeah, I was just doing sets of 6, discarding partials, to determine hits. Lazy math.

Got a game in tonight. Centurions got to attack a guard blob. Got in range with TL flamers+hurricanes and really destroyed some guard, then made the 6" charge to the remaining models, and cleared a few more. Nothing amazing, but I was very thankful for the TL flamers and hurricane bolters. Probably going to glue them that way.

That's more the kind of situation where you want a regular Assault Squad than Assault Cents, but yeah, they'll eventually get the job done if there aren't too many Power Axes in there.

Blob was 50+ with yarrick, but this blob lacked ap2 non-melee weapons. Blob was pretty stretched. Yarrick was towards the front and died at range after Look out sir removed every model within 6". Assault was less impressive than shooting, to be sure, but the T5 and 2+ armor really did help both in assault and in prior shooting phases. Most of opponent's reliable AT was being directed at the dreadknight and dreadnoughts occupying the other flank.

Yeah, if they don't have Power Axes or something, they're not going to be getting too much damage through T5 W2 2+Sv. The main reason something like an Assault Squad would be better is just the fact that they've got like 20 Attacks per round instead of the 7 that the Cents do, and against Guardsmen, the difference between a Chainsword and a Siege Drill isn't that much. There are probably more things out there that Cents are better against than Assault Squads, tho, as a general thing.

Yeah, if they don't have Power Axes or something, they're not going to be getting too much damage through T5 W2 2+Sv. The main reason something like an Assault Squad would be better is just the fact that they've got like 20 Attacks per round instead of the 7 that the Cents do, and against Guardsmen, the difference between a Chainsword and a Siege Drill isn't that much. There are probably more things out there that Cents are better against than Assault Squads, tho, as a general thing.

One blob had 4x plasma and 4x lascannons, the other blob had grenade launchers. Giant 50+ blobs with priests and other characters added. Anyway, situation only existed because my melee scouts lost combat, but in doing so, got the opponent rather bunched up in front of the centurions.

I am debating the omniscope, as I came dangerously close to denying my own charge in this case. Would have easily been mulched by Culexus shooting if I wasn't able to make assault. Could put the TL melta on the sarge. 15pts for this and I lose the TL flamer. Could also keep the flamer and just take the omniscope for 10pts. Not sure if it's worth it.

On a side note to myself, I keep forgetting to bring units that can contend with my opponents armor denying melee units. Centurions really don't cut it if the opponent swings first, or can reliably save against my attacks (like storm shields).

On a side note to myself, I keep forgetting to bring units that can contend with my opponents armor denying melee units. Centurions really don't cut it if the opponent swings first, or can reliably save against my attacks (like storm shields).

And that's why Hammernators are the default Assault Unit. They get the best of both worlds, defense and offense.

And that's why Hammernators are the default Assault Unit. They get the best of both worlds, defense and offense.

Though, in my experience, the hammerators don't cut it because they don't get to swing. I can roll pretty bad for saves....

When fielding DA, those DW Knights were the best of both, having Initiative order attacks with 3++.

Bad luck =/= bad tactics. And except for a handful of things, the Hammernators should be striking at the same time as anything AP2.

It's not bad luck when it's consistent. If it's known that I roll bad TH/SS saves consistently, not fielding them is a good tactic.

Hammerators strike last. MCs, necron warscythes, many HQ weapons on special characters, smite mode black knights, and many more. Almost every codex has several ways to strike at I2+ with ap2 or ap1. For codex marines, the most common is a dreadnought with a power fist. Then you've got the Black Sword on the Emperor's Champion, any HQ with the burning blade, and you could also argue that rending on shrike's claws counts too. I can keep going, it's a long list.

Though in my experience, the issue is that they strike me with lots of ap- weapons and I fail my 2+....Yeah, those Terminators really don't like me. I have found that the smaller my TDA unit is, the better I roll the saves. This one is also pretty consistent.

I haven't had the same issue with the centurions, nor when I was running honor guard a while back. I often wonder if I am somehow subconsciously controlling the die outcome, though the odds seem to return to normal when I try to predict the outcomes of individual die rolls.

You could also add in a Divination caster to the Cents, and try to get the 4+ Invul Power.

Forgot about this, good call. GK does have divination access, too.

On a side note, think I should go with a GK libby or a GK brother captain? Main difference for my uses is that the brother captain has more wounds, a default inv 1 better (4++), and one less mastery level. The brother captain defaults to 40pts cheaper, too.

If the logic is to attach him to the centurions, the brother catain has less mastery, so lower odds to roll the group 4++ on divination. On the other hand, he's more durable without that power.

Hmmm...Oh! Can I use the omniscope to put split fire on the unit, so an attached IC can use the rule? I think so. The brother captain in particular, can field a psycannon, which would mess with target priority for the unit otherwise.

I used to feel the same way about Rending Units, but eventually it did even out.

Split Fire lets any one Model split off, so yeah, it can work for an attached IC. I think my favorite use is when you can get it for a Unit with a MotF with a Conversion Beamer, so he can have a decent bodyguard and still blast things out in his optimum range without needing a Unit with similar range/target profile.

Yeah, might just be perception on the TH/SS terminator saves.

So, caught another idea. Captain Stern is 185, making him very close to what I'd be paying for a brother captain with upgrades. Stern is interesting because he's got Sanctuary and Hammerhand as stock powers. Sanctuary is the one that improves unit invulnerable saves, and hammerhand increases unit strength. So, TH/SS terminators joined by Stern are S10 and 2+/2++ with both powers functioning.

Not a solution for the Centurions and I'd lose access to random powers. Still, a decent response to thunderwolf calvary, even invisible ones. Still need to hit and get past invulnerable saves, but would probably survive anything they send back, assuming I don't roll really bad.

Another note is that the SM command squad can take storm shields. 150 for a 5-man with shields and very lacking weapons. Closer to 200 buys me some models with good weapons and other models with lacking weapons. Normally, TH/SS terms would be hands down a better buy, but if I can push that 3++ to a 2++, the command squad could be a better option, just for that 25pts difference in cost.