Factions, LoWs and CADs.

Not very clear on this concept. Was wondering why players are able to field Imperial Knights as the LoW for their SM-variant armies. As I read it, the LoW must be from the same codex/faction to be in the same CAD. I must have this wrong, as it was very clearly the opposite at the GG cup and seemed widely accepted.

For example, I have a baneblade variant (Doom hammer, I think). Can I field this as a LoW for my SM/DA army? It is most certainly part of the armies of the imperium, but I believe it is part of codex: astra millitarium from a rules stance regarding codex/faction. Is there some exception given to the Imperial knights that the other armies of the imperium lack for their LoWs?

Most knights are not fielded as LoW but as a separate detachment (Imp Knight Detachment).

Example:

My first GC opponent had C:SM Primary CAD and an IK Detachment. 

My third GC opponent had C:SM Primary CAD and an FW IK LOW (since it was not a valid choice for an IK detachment).

You can only choose a LOW that says it can be chosen by your army. 

My third GC opponent had C:SM Primary CAD and an FW IK LOW (since it was not a valid choice for an IK detachment).

Can you field LoWs as their own detachment? I am under the impression that they must be bought as a CAD, unless other special rules permit.

No. Because the Cerastus Knight Acheron can be taken by any Army of the Imperium, any faction, as a Lord of War.

FW website, under their rules for the Acheron.

Ah, thanks.

This GW faction thing is tough to get a handle on with all the exceptions.

Right, the Cerastus isn't a valid model for Imperial Knight Detachment, but can be taken as a LOW, just like Chappy said.

Not actually correct- it can be taken EITHER as a Lord of War choice for any army of the Imperium OR as part of an Imperial Knights detachment (but cannot be more common than any other type of Knight in the detachment.)

Related, if I mix units in my detachments via battle brothers and ICs, is a unit considered part of both detachments/factions, neither, or are the ICs not counted?

In particular, looking at the GK Nemisis Strike Force which allows "units" from the detachment that deep strike to roll reserves a turn earlier. If I add a TDA chappy to GK terms from this detachment, do they roll reserves turn 1? Likewise, if a GK Librarian from this detachment joins a TH/SS terminator unit, does it roll reserves turn 1? I think the rules for chapter tactics have a similar wording...

When an IC joins a unit, they become a part of that unit for virtually all intents and purposes. Thus a unit of GK Terminators which has a BT Chaplain joined to it is still a unit from the Nemesis Strike Force and would be able to attempt to arrive on the first turn from reserves.

The case with GK Librarian joining an SM Terminator unit is a lot less convincing though, I think. You certainly can make the argument for it based on other stuff, but it'd be a much tougher sell.

(Note that Chapter Tactics are different- they apply to models in a detachment, not units in a detachment. A GK Librarian can never be a model from an SM detachment, and moreover the rule specifies that it ONLY applies to models with the Chapter Tactics special rule, which he does not have. Certain Chapter Tactics may still be functional even if all members of a unit don't have them- for example, Hit and Run- but some others will not.)

• Like 1

When an IC joins a unit, they become a part of that unit for virtually all intents and purposes. Thus a unit of GK Terminators which has a BT Chaplain joined to it is still a unit from the Nemesis Strike Force and would be able to attempt to arrive on the first turn from reserves.

So then if I have a BT unit with GK character attached, is it a BT (or codex SM) unit for effects that specifically target BT (or codex SM) units? For example, can I use the "Standard of the Emperor Ascendant" to affect BT units with attached GK ICs? Do BT ICs not benefit from it because they are attached to a GK unit?

I've been leaving it alone, mostly, but reading it, I'd think as a mixed unit, it would count as both. Many of the abilities are more specific, like both of the BT special characters have abilities which target models with BT chapter tactics. On the other hand, Lysander has an ability that is specific to units with IF chapter tactics.

In terms of balance, I'm not really seeing a huge issue either way regarding the NSF. It doesn't guarantee a sooner landing, nor an accurate one. The GK ICs are all very expensive, as are their units. I'm not suggesting that adding a GK character would grant deep strike, but to a non-GK unit with deep strike already, they should be able to join together prior to deployment.

Sadly, that is a question that has never actually been answered.

But they do answer the other question? Got a page/FAQ reference where units are described as being of a certain faction despite having multiple ICs attached of different factions?

I totally believe you it's there, I'm just curious where it says that.