Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Okay, list for tonight's GG league.

GK NSF

HQ Traphen Rook (GK brother captain, psilencer, soul glaive, warlord)

Troops Terminators (5, 3 swords, 2 staves, 1 psilencer)

DA CAD

HQ Kaiden Omar (DA Company master, chainfist, TDA, shroud)

Elites DW Terminators (5, TH/SS, 1 cyclone)

Troops Scout Squad (5, hellfire heavy bolter, 3 CCW+BP, vet with CCW+BP+MB)

Troops Tactical Squad (5)

Fast Drop Pod

Heavy Devastators (5, 4 MM, vet with fist+bolter)

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (MM)

Assassin Detachment

Elite Vindicare

Total is 2k.

And some general updates.

Got the Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer fully painted and gloss coated. DW terminators, "Kaiden Omar" and that TL lascannon razorback also fully painted and glossed. I'll get pictures up tonight. Nothing's based yet, and I decided that the Consecrator's logo was too hard to paint, so I've "white rounds" in places on the marines and vehicles. I'm going to get some paper and do a printer version, glue them one, and then gloss coat over that section.

I'm thinking I don't like how the lion warriors look. It's not the paint theme, but the paints themselves, I just can't get them to look as good as I think the Lion Warriors should be. I was planning to field them as flesh tearers anyway, so I'm thinking I'd just adopt a Red-Gold-Black DIY Flesh Tearers Successor look. I'll think up some custom chapter name and add blood drops to a custom logo. Change should be less confusing for my opponent, anyway.

5k mini-apoc kick off game for the narrative campaign on saturday. My ally is bringing 1850pts of super agressive GK, so I'm brining 3150pts of my forces, which are adapted to be more agressive than I like to play and to fill gaps in his army. It's fluff focused, so gain of salt regarding viability of things. Opponent is a mix of chaos daemons and chaos space marines. List is mostly here so I don't have to print it.

Consecrators DA Combined Arms Detachment

HQ Company Master "Kaiden Omar" (TDA, chainfist, shroud, warlord with fixed rapid maneuvre warlord trait)

Troops DW Terminators (5, cyclone, all TH/SS, troops via campaign special rules)

Troops Scouts (5, all CCW+BP)

LoW: Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (Battle of Sarosh, MM)

Fortification Vengeance Batteries (2, both battle cannons)

Grey Knight Nemesis Strike Force Detachment

HQ Brother Captain "Traphen Rook" (psilencer, soul glaive)

HQ Techmarine (Conversion Beamer, daemon hammer, bone shard)

Troops Paladins (3, 1 warding staff, troops via campaign special rules)

Fast Attack Storm Raven (Cyclone+Las)

Fortification FSR

Blood Angels Flesh Tearers Strike Force Detachment

HQ Librarian Dreadnought (Bones, level 2, heavy flamer)

HQ Sanguinary Priest (Angel's Wing)

Elites Lemartes

Elites Death Company (15, jump packs, 2 fists, 2 swords, 3 plasma pistols)

Troops Cassor the Damned

-FW Dreadpod

Fast Attack Razorback (las/plas)

Total is 3150pts

I'm not used to running fast and agressive lists, so pardon the ignorance there. I'm also prioritizing WYSIWYG models.

Basic run down of units:

On the table turn 1:

Vengeance Batteries

Techmarine with scouts within FSR (might get out and assault if a daemon comes to him...)

Lemartes and Death Company

Razorback

Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer

Deep Strikers:

Cassor the Damned with dreadpod

DW terminators with attached sanguinary priest

In the SR:

Palladins

Company Master

Brother Captain

Librarian Dread

2980pts

GK NSF

HQ brother captain (psilencer, soul glaive)

HQ Crowe

Elites Dreadnought (MM/Fist)

Troops Paladins (3, 1 staff)

Fast Storm Raven (Typhoon, Las)

heavy Dreadknight (psycannon, psilencer, teleporter, hammer.)

LoW Draigo

Steel Host

Tank Commander (Pask, Vanquisher)

-Battle Tank

Lion El Jonson Squadron

-Eradicator

Lion El Jonson Squadron

-Eradicator

Lion El Jonson Squadron

-Eradicator

Hydra

Dark Angels Combined Arms Detachment

HQ Company Master (TDA, chainfist, shroud, warlord)

Elites DW Knights (5)

Troops DW Terminators (5, TH/SS, cyclone)

Troops Tactical (5, plasma gun, sword, vet)

-Razor (las)

Ugh. So, although I don't mind a losing battle, but losing against players that won't follow the rules (deliberately not following the rules) and would win even if they were following the rules is quite upsetting. I got the distinct feeling that none of my opponents had read the 7th ed book...or just were unwilling to change editions. It was a very bad apocalypse game. Will not play with some of those players ever again. Or even in the presence of some of those players.

Anyway, spent a week grumbling to myself regarding that match and now I'm getting back in the mood to play 40k.

So, various army notes (unrelated to the apocalypse post above):

-Psilencers do work. I was very happy to learn that they are able to earn their points back. My second game with them had them wipe a crisis suit squadron. I'm running mine mounted on GK terminators and a GK brother captain. I also am using the soul glaive, to make the force psychic power more reliable. I think I'm going to look into divination for misfortune, as rending can wound regardless of toughness and that would be very formidable with the psilencers.

-That soul glaive, is actually pretty useful. I was iffy regarding the ap3, but with re-rolls to hit, wound, and pen, it actually preforms pretty well with the very limited number of attacks a GK brother captain has (3 base, soul glaive is 2 handed...)

-I've done those MM devastators in a few games now. I was iffy running them with full MM due to their limited range. The fist might be a waste, but I've been having good results with the MM. I think they need a bastion (or other fortification). Unit still hasn't had anything to assault, so the fist is presently wasted (though it may be functioning as an assault deterrent....).

-Done the vindicares a few times now. Aside from being an easy 150pt increase for an army, I haven't been very impressed with them in this edition. I may try running another assassin type, but I'm probably done with these guys for this edition.

-Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer is fun, but it really isn't viable unless the opponent brings certain types of enemy units.

-Still can't decide on that TH/SS DW terminator unit. I'm paying 275pts for a unit of 5 models.

-Aside from looking cool, still haven't got that hellfire heavy bolter to fire at anything worth shooting. Not sure it's worth the points, especially now that the hellfire shells have only 24" of range.

So much list tinkering.

At present, I'm thinking it would be easy to field a bunch of BA death company with my Consecrators DA, as they have almost identical paint schemes, so ultimately, I could use the same models in a mono-faction list and not really run into major confusion with my opponents. That certainly has some appeal to me. I also like each faction individually.

I also got a copy of the updated codex inquisition (they updated it for 7th ed) and I'm thinking they'd be fun additions to my army.

Okay, a hastily thrown together Narrative 1850pt list:

NSF

Traphen Rook

GK paladins (3, 1 staff)

Dreadknight (stock)

BSF

BA Libby (TDA, SS, Fear Crown, valor's edge)

Lemartes

Raphen's DC

Cassor the Damned

SR (MM/las)

DA Hammer Formation

Crusader

3 Whirls

Techmarine (Warlord, 4++)

Total 1850

1850pts
Maelstrom mission, vanguard deployment, and an imposed 4 hour time limit from when we arrived due to store space limitations.

Opponent was chaos daemons with a Narrative detachment without inquisitor and an additional CAD. We didn't realize his list was illegal until mid-game, but it was an honest mistake.

My army was this:

NSF
Traphen Rook
GK paladins (3, 1 staff)
Dreadknight (stock)

BSF
BA Libby (TDA, SS, Fear Crown, valor's edge)
Lemartes
Raphen's DC
Cassor the Damned
SR (MM/las)

DA Hammer Formation
Crusader
3 Whirls
Techmarine (Warlord, 4++)

My army was mostly test units and his army was mostly summoning. Game was painfully slow, as both armies lacked aggressive units or punch.

Basic summary. Terms started in the crusader and started on the table with the knight holding backfield objectives. Opponent really spammed summoning, but was otherwise rather timid. He didn't bring options to kill my AV 14 land raider, so we had a stalemate for turn 1.

Turn 2 I wiped his screamers after they destroyed two whirlwinds. Traphen Rook anhilated them with a "force" blessed psilencer. Since the hammer formation makes the whirlwinds count as a squadron with the crusader, I got first blood for killing the screamers. SR decided not to arrive from reserves.

Turn 3, after realizing my opponent couldn't really damage the Crusader, Traphen Rook re-embarked. The SR arrive and dropped Cassor the Damned onto a hill, who landed and failed to kill a herald of khorne. Again, opponent summoned more stuff. Cassor the Damned missed 4 times in a challenge against a herald of khorne, then got demolished my opponent's legendary soul grinder.

Turn 4, SR switched to hover mode and disembarked Raphen's Death Company and Chaplain Lemartes. Lemartes poised to assault the enemy herald of khorne, and Raphen's DC readied to charge the Soul Grinder. Traphen Rook, his 3 paladins, the warlord techmarine, and the Librarian disembarked the Crusader and poised for a multi-charge against fiends and blood crushers. My Dreadknight was about to jump into melee against some horrors....

And the time limited ended. We stopped here. I had first blood, but no maelstrom objectives completed. Opponent had 5 points, including line breaker and 4 maelstrom objective points. We had fun.

So, two games so far with the psilencers actually working. They do do have merit. It's multi-wound models which you cannot deny the save on anyway, which are damaged by psilencers. Otherwise, they work pretty good in the areas that lasguns work, like against terminators and marines. FNP denial without needing double strength is pretty nifty on a ranged weapon.

So, that game before. I ran the hammer of caliban formation for the first time. A crusader and 3 whirlwinds. It was, interesting.

My opponent risked turbo boosting through difficult terrain (with screamers) to get a turn 2 charge against the whirlwind portion of the formation and easily wiped 2 of them before I could react. Vindicators and predators would have died just as fast to the screamer assault. I did get first blood agianst that unit, as the two vehicles were squadron.

Several times, the AV14 of the land raider proved invaluable in denying direct fire shooting against my whirlwinds. Due to placing the LR closer to the enemy, none of the S7 ranged weapons from the enemy could damage my whirlwinds. That was an interesting selling point to the formation.

That said, opponent was light on vehicles and MCs, so the formation special rules were not helpful. Being forced to direct all the fire at the same target (+1 via machine spirit) was certainly limiting.

All around, very interesting.

SR is not working due to reserves being rolled poorly. I think I need to start running a skyshield, or a character/unit with re-rolls on reserves. I just keep failing the 3+ reserve roll and it really hurts to have to wait another turn for them to arrive.