Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Still screwing around with list concepts. At present, looking into the idea of promethium relay pipes. Was thinking that those combined with GK incinerators quite well. Then was thinking that assault centurions with TL flamers could actually be decent shooty units if they got those TL flamers "upgraded" to torrent weapons.

Promethium Pipes really rely on a list A, needing anti-infantry firepower at medium range and B, having a Relentless unit with a flamer. Since Assault Centurions really don't want to be sitting in your half of the field, I don't think they would be a great candidate and Incinerators, whilst highly amusing, are typically wasted in such a role- all the more so because GK units usually want to be Deep Striking.

Promethium Pipes really rely on a list A, needing anti-infantry firepower at medium range and B, having a Relentless unit with a flamer. Since Assault Centurions really don't want to be sitting in your half of the field, I don't think they would be a great candidate and Incinerators, whilst highly amusing, are typically wasted in such a role- all the more so because GK units usually want to be Deep Striking.

It's basically a 40pt aegis line without access to the gun upgrades. Not horrible if you'd buy the lone aegis line anyway.

It's true that I will want to be offensive in some games, and then the pipes will just be a decorative feature of my backfield. I do think there are other games where a mid-range modifier to my flamer weapons would be really helpful. Tyranids and orks come to mind here.

Back when you could deploy fortifications anywhere in your table half (as opposed to deployment zone) it was a lot more useful; now, even with Torrent, you typically won't be able to reach the enemy if they don't come to you.

Good point. Forgot about the half thing. Yeah, not so awesome.

Painting the models and an idea hit me. Minotaurs. Not really for any of the fluff reasons, but I really suck at painting red. Gold looks good, almost no matter what, really easy...

I'll get a few golden test marines done - I'm getting really sick of painting red marines...

The bane of wargamers worldwide. Boredom of the color your army needs to be.

Hey, yours are black. That is a way easier color to apply. Gold minotaurs too. Those red marines often need several coats just to get the base color looking decent. I tried starting with red spray, but I can't find a red spray that look right (to me). Red's just a tough color to have for the majority of the model.

I may just be really bad at red.

Anyway, got a few models tested out. Nothing's done, but they do look way better in gold.

Just noticed that GK can take rhinos and razors as non-dedicated transports via fast attack slots. Doesn't add much to GK, but it opens a previously shut door for scout marines (save for land raiders and storm ravens).

That's becoming standard. SW and BA can do it too, and they get Drop Pods in there as well.

Yeah, saw that, just didn't think about it much.

GK don't get pod access, probably because most of their units deep strike, anyway.

Hey, yours are black. That is a way easier color to apply. Gold minotaurs too. Those red marines often need several coats just to get the base color looking decent. I tried starting with red spray, but I can't find a red spray that look right (to me). Red's just a tough color to have for the majority of the model.

I may just be really bad at red.

Anyway, got a few models tested out. Nothing's done, but they do look way better in gold.

Grey lining an army is a pain. And painting black is tough if you don't want to make it bland. Red can be easy, but it sounds like you are being too picky. You need to find a formula that works for you. Buy extra paints, and throw away models from a bitz box. Prime them different colors. Paint them with different reds. Experiment. If you're serious about making your models look good, don't walk away from a challenging scheme because "gold is easier." Stick it out, build those skills like brush control, shading, highlighting, and line highlighting. Find somebody with an airbrush if you have to. And stop being overly picky. The bane of every artist is when they finish something and don't like it. If you put the effort into it, you will like it, and be content. Painting an army is a long road to do it right.
  • Like 1

Grey lining an army is a pain. And painting black is tough if you don't want to make it bland. Red can be easy, but it sounds like you are being too picky. You need to find a formula that works for you. Buy extra paints, and throw away models from a bitz box. Prime them different colors. Paint them with different reds. Experiment. If you're serious about making your models look good, don't walk away from a challenging scheme because "gold is easier." Stick it out, build those skills like brush control, shading, highlighting, and line highlighting. Find somebody with an airbrush if you have to. And stop being overly picky. The bane of every artist is when they finish something and don't like it. If you put the effort into it, you will like it, and be content. Painting an army is a long road to do it right.

Yeah, problem is most certainly that I'm too picky.

And yes, I have done a ton of red paint experimentation. In small areas, my red looks amazing. I can't/don't seem to be able to make large red areas that meet my standards. A good chunk of this relates to low quality brushes and my high standards...

On a side note, your templars look amazing and I didn't mean to belittle them or  your work. I was just commenting about how many coats it takes to make something black as opposed to making things red.

Okay, so minotaur chapter tactics are basically re-roll pinning tests and the crusader USR. This means they can be counts as black templars with minor list changes, if event/league doesn't allow FW chapter tactics.

In painting, models are basically the same paint colors, just large gold areas in addition to my existing red-black-white paint theme. Not exactly very demanding from a repainting/conversion stance.

As for fluff and rules and such, I think having a chapter with actual rules would help given me some direction. At present, my Exorcists can be any chapter and that is a huge issue for my indecisive style of list construction.

As for the chapter logo, it's actually very similar, from a freehand standpoint, in making horned cow heads instead of horned skulls. Some of my more ambitious conversions will need more work, though I had planed to repaint most of them anyway.

Okay, still working on the Minotaurs, but I am planning to keep the DA specific Exorcists as Exorcists (Like DW knights, Sammy on his speeder and so forth).

So, little Exorcists side topic: that draigo invisible unit thing....

Exorcists (DA)

10-man DW knights

TDA Chappy

vs

Invisible Draigo Centstar

Straight up, I think Draigo is just a monster and those Exorcists are pretty screwed. That said, been thinking about it. Assuming I could get the charge, we start with 10 hammer of wraith attacks via the DW knights ('cause they have it for some reason). Those auto-hit with or without invisibility (s4 ap-). Now, draigo will swing and we'll pray our 3++ is enough.

That said, entire DW knight unit has precision strikes.  Between those, chappy re-rolls to hit and smite mode, should be able to direct S10 ap1 hits at the centurions. Invisibility means that all hits that hit are precision hits....actually pretty awesome with smite mode. Unit has 27 smite attacks on the charge (less, with losses from draigo's swings). That's pretty solid odds to take down a few, if not all, the models other than draigo (because of instant death, as S10 ap1 will kill outright any centurion allocated hits). 

Mind you, between gate and the slow nature of the unit, odds are really low that we could make assault with a centstar. Still, I just thought of it and thought it was worth noting.

Not sure if surviving DA could surive future rounds, but it would remove invisibility if you remove the character that cast it (though not right away...)

The other big factor here is that, since there's no Assault Transport big enough to carry that whole Unit, the Cents are going to get at least one round of shooting in first, guaranteed. That'll kill off about 1 DWK per Cent per round of shooting they manage, and since the CentStar has the advantage in overall maneuverability, they're probably getting more than one round of shooting.

The other big factor here is that, since there's no Assault Transport big enough to carry that whole Unit, the Cents are going to get at least one round of shooting in first, guaranteed. That'll kill off about 1 DWK per Cent per round of shooting they manage, and since the CentStar has the advantage in overall maneuverability, they're probably getting more than one round of shooting.

Even if I had an assault transport big enough, I don't really expect it to last against such a unit.

I'm just pointing out the possibility, not suggesting I can do it...I'm working on Minotaurs now, anyway, so I don't have access the DW knights. It was just a side topic.

On a further side note, how do grav weapons interact with void shields? Void shields being the rules disaster they are, I'm not really sure. Seems like the void shields are mounted on a building, so they'd be immune to grav weapons. A good argument for the missile launcher chests, I suppose.