The new magic rules....

My biggest concern from the get-go has been the D6-limit-to-casting-dice thing... seems far less strategic and kinda rand-o.  "D6 to see if we should even bother rolling, go!"  That's how it works, right?  Caster chooses a spell, rolls D6, that's how many power dice he may use (up to, not required), and the dispeller does the same?  So to me it mostly comes down to those two D6 rolls!  Or do I have the rules wrong?

But it's strategic in that you know going into it that it's random, and you know the probabilities, and have to weigh those in making your decision. And that failing to cast can remove a spell from your available options. So, casting a maxed-out fireball is really risky (as a roll of 1 or 2 will prevent you from casting any more fireballs at any level), while casting a lower-level fireball is much less risky (rolling a 1 or 2 means you'll still probably get it off). Boosted levels of spells are no longer an easy decision to make. 

d6 to see if you should even bother rolling more than 1 (you always have to roll at least one) means you can never rely on getting a spell off, which means you need to focus much more on solid gameplay, having your options open, and not relying on magic. Unless you're Dwarfs. Then you're boned.

I think, at least. Keep in mind my experience consists of one game!

NtK- is my understanding that as the dispelling player you can always choose to dispel with your army and then you get to choose how many dice to throw at it, sure you give up the boost from a wizards level but that's easily offset by throwing an extra dice or two at the attempt.

To dispell, you:

1) State who is dispelling (and use a scroll if you have one).

2) Roll a d6 to determine the max number of dice you can roll to dispell.

3) Choose the number of dice to dispell - it must be at least 1, up to the max allowed based on #2, above.

4) Roll to dispell - total the dice and add your magic level (unless you are doing the army dispell).

Even with the army dispell, you have to roll to see the max number of dice you can roll.

My biggest concern from the get-go has been the D6-limit-to-casting-dice thing... seems far less strategic and kinda rand-o.  "D6 to see if we should even bother rolling, go!"  That's how it works, right?  Caster chooses a spell, rolls D6, that's how many power dice he may use (up to, not required), and the dispeller does the same?  So to me it mostly comes down to those two D6 rolls!  Or do I have the rules wrong?

If you're a big fan of Purple Sun and Dwellers you are going to hate these rules. If you found those spell some what OP and thought they needed to be toned down then you are going to like these rules.

Yes there is randomness going on but that is already expected and you should be ready. In some ways the weight of the spell phase shifted to a more balanced feel than it being in the caster's control.

Unless someone brought Malekith the EK. OMG.

If so, that'd make dispelling even stronger - you could really force through those dispells when you needed to.

One downside - Magic phase is MUCH longer now.

Honestly with regular players the magic phase was not that much longer. You only get one maybe two spells off. Now if someone takes their time deliberating what spell to cast and takes that time to read the spell cards to see what they do then yes it will take less experienced players longer.

Old timers like you and many of us shouldn't spend any more time in their Magic Phase then we have before.

"After picking a Wizard and declaring which spell you want them to cast, you must roll a D6. The result of the roll is the maximum number of dice you can use to cast that spell (the minimum number of dice you must use is always one). You must also roll a D6 to see how many dice a Wizard can use to dispel a spell."

Yup, Dwarfs and armies can use any number to dispel. Also you don't have to roll a D6 for a bound spell either, as far as I can tell.

In my experience, the people who deliberate during the old Magic phase are going to take just as long in the new Magic phase. I play fast so my Magic phases go pretty quickly already. My experience with the new Magic phase didn't take longer really. You still have a set number of stuff to do. Sure you have more dice, and more attempts at casting, but there's less pressure in trying to make a big spell go off, and more just pelting the enemy with small spells or buffing up units with augments. There's less pressure about which of your units needs the buff more because if they dispel it, you just attempt to cast it again. I cast Flesh to Stone on 6 units, and it went quickly. Once you get used to the new Magic phase, I see it going fairly quick. It promotes less deliberation because you don't have to worry about which friendly unit needs a buff more over another, and which enemy needs to be hit with damage or hex spells more than others.