32mm Base The New Standard

Cortland

So we've probably all seen the BA pics on the new bases and now of course their up on GWs site for preorder...

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/search/searchResults.jsp?qty=com.gamesworkshop.endeca.EndecaUserContext@678198aa&sorting=srl&view=table&searchTerm=32mm

What do most TO reccomend when bases shift sizes, secondly does this 7mm a noticeable advantage actually for marines to get less and less into the small and large blast templates. 

Curious as I havent seen any chatter about it yet here, do we think it is all SM below termie now going on this base?

• Like 1

If this really starts spreading to other Armies, it might actually force me out of 40K events. I've got way too many Culties, Guardsmen, and Gaunts to go to the expense and effort of rebasing them all. Even if it just goes for Marines, that's several hundred Models across my various Armies that would be affected.

It's cool that it gives the sculptors some more scope for more varied poses, but if it becomes a thing that people get really picky about, I'm not sure I'll bother anymore.

• Like 1

Acceptance of that seems to shift over time, tho. Most of my Chaos Terminators came on 25mm Bases, and I've actually only gotten around to rebasing a handful of them, but I've received consistently negative reactions anytime I've run them or talked about running them on 25mm bases. At some point, that's going to happen with 25mm vs. 32mm for regular Infantry, too.

• Like 2

Acceptance of that seems to shift over time, tho. Most of my Chaos Terminators came on 25mm Bases, and I've actually only gotten around to rebasing a handful of them, but I've received consistently negative reactions anytime I've run them or talked about running them on 25mm bases. At some point, that's going to happen with 25mm vs. 32mm for regular Infantry, too.

Yeah, but that's a slightly different case. Terminators have been on the 40mm bases since, what, 3rd edition? That gives you the better part of two decades to "update" them if it's a problem. Just as importantly, not many armies run forces of entirely Terminators or their equivalents; on the other hand, lots of armies are composed mostly of MEQs. There's an order of magnitude in difference between rebasing one unit and rebasing a whole force that you have collected from scratch.

I live kind of out of the way, and don't have a local gaming scene. More and more, most of the Games I can get in are at Tournaments, because I can't justify the 4-6 hour round trip to a store for less than three Games. Even a few of those getting snippy about bases might well cut significantly into the amount of gaming I can get in.

• Like 1

The problem, as West just pointed out, is that one of the continued big draws of 40k is that it is a widely played game and should be easy to find a gaming group.  As 40k devolves into more and more subsets of gamers (FW yes/no; competitive/non-competitive, etc etc) it becomes ever more likely one will run into someone that plays the same game a different way or with different perceptions of how a game works.  

I know my gaming time is super limited, so getting over barriers before throwing dice is always a nice thing.

• Like 2

The problem, as West just pointed out, is that one of the continued big draws of 40k is that it is a widely played game and should be easy to find a gaming group.  As 40k devolves into more and more subsets of gamers (FW yes/no; competitive/non-competitive, etc etc) it becomes ever more likely one will run into someone that plays the same game a different way or with different perceptions of how a game works.  

I know my gaming time is super limited, so getting over barriers before throwing dice is always a nice thing.

You mean like whether or not landing on Free Parking nets you all the collected Tax money?  Or One Eyed Jacks are wild? 

In other news I'm announcing my base edge extenders.  Turn those 25s into 32s!

10 for $5.

If this really starts spreading to other Armies, it might actually force me out of 40K events. I've got way too many Culties, Guardsmen, and Gaunts to go to the expense and effort of rebasing them all. Even if it just goes for Marines, that's several hundred Models across my various Armies that would be affected.

It's cool that it gives the sculptors some more scope for more varied poses, but if it becomes a thing that people get really picky about, I'm not sure I'll bother anymore.

I don't imagine it will be much of an issue. We'll see though.

You mean like whether or not landing on Free Parking nets you all the collected Tax money?  Or One Eyed Jacks are wild? 

In other news I'm announcing my base edge extenders.  Turn those 25s into 32s!

10 for $5.

Is your base too small? 9 out of 10 miniatures increased their base size with this easy trick! Click here!

• Like 7

Back to my previous question before this devolves anymore though. 

Once blood angels receive their new larger bases in the tactical squads does that give me free reign to switch my C:SM tacts and Devs etc to the newer standard 32mm or do i have to wait for them to get a re-release. TO's welcome to weigh in on this one!

Back to my previous question before this devolves anymore though. 

Once blood angels receive their new larger bases in the tactical squads does that give me free reign to switch my C:SM tacts and Devs etc to the newer standard 32mm or do i have to wait for them to get a re-release. TO's welcome to weigh in on this one!

No.  When SM got Flack missiles, BA players did not get free reign to slap those on.