To expand or not to expand?

dkieft

That is the question!

I am just wondering how others feel about boardgame expansions in general. I have been noticing that many games get worse the more you add to them. Take for example Race for the Galaxy. It started out as a great game. The first expansion was pretty good, but after adding the next two things started to go south. The rules become more convoluted, you have a number of add-on rules that rarely see play and in general the game seems less enjoyable. Heck, they even released a newer expansion meant to only be played with the original. It's like they were attempting to fix the mess they made by adding expansions.

Some games are more effected than others by adding expansions, and some are probably vastly improved with them.

Anyway, how does Ordo feel?

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Pathfinder expansions are a must can't stop buying...

Sentinels of universe got to have them all.

Agree about munchkins.

Super dungeon explorer nice but can live without.

That is all I have currently so can't say much for other games. From what I have played expansions can just add variety to reduce the reason for leaving game. Coop expansions I think are easiest to add as it usually adds difficulty and play variety for the whole. Balanced games where you play against opponent it does leave room for broke combos.

I don't have really any bad experiences with expansions just disappoints. I haven't okayed race yet so don't know that we'll enough.

• Like 1

Generally speaking I prefer a developer who does not try to expand existing content.  There are exceptions.  I think Smash-Up can expand as much as they want as long as they don't succumb to power creep.  I think Alchemists is a game that cannot reasonably be expanded without making a whole new game so they should just make a whole new game.

Expansions to allow more players (e.g. the expansion to Village) are more likely to work than expansions which include more or content which is often not well balanced.

I say that in many cases expansions are good, however there can always be the case where things in expansions just change the power scale of starter box stuff.

I know in dominion there is the village which is +2 actions and +1 card, and in one of the expansions they add a workers village which is just one gold more but +1 buy in addition which throws the balance off a bit. 

I say most games are better with expansions, but some parts of expansions are unusable and should be discarded 

I LOVE Munchkin expansions!!

It gets cumbersome after a while though. I like them, but too many can get to be a pain. We keep some separate now for simpler play.

I like most of Small World Expansions!

YES! I love all of them. Although tunnels was a disappointment.

Catan's knights one was pretty good. 

One thing I love to see when expanding is that it all fits in the box. As mentioned above, sometimes it gets cumbersome (I am looking at you Zombicide!) to add on to games. If the game and expansions are well planned and the expansions can be added to the main box it is a huge boon.

Also, I like the idea of "optional" expansions. Of course all are optional, but what I mean is where the additional rules/features can be easily used or ignored in each playing. I think beyond just the variety of play these tend to be easier to keep balance in (plus you can just leave out the stuff you don't like). Catan is a good example of optional expansions, while Arkham Horror is a good example of not so optional (in that you have to separate a lot of card stacks to remove an expansion when you choose not to play with it)

• Like 1

I think an expansion can give extra legs to an old friend, but generally I find them disappointing. I get to play games so infrequently that I rarely exhaust all a game has to offer. If I have played a game too many times and still want more, then an expansion is a great way to mix it up. Usually, though, it doesn't improve a game for me, just gives me an excuse to revisit it for a few more run throughs. I don't like adding in expansions after only a few games. I have friends that immediately go buy the expansion as soon as they play the game once or twice. I think that is more the collector mentality taking over and less of the desire to play a good game.

As far as what expansions I like, I thought the expansion to Lords of Waterdeep really added to that game.

• Like 1

It really depends on the game and the expansion. Some expansions really help make a game that was a little limited to begin with a full robust game. Other expansions just add unnecessary complications and minutia.

For instance Galaxy Trucker is alot of fun in the base game, but the extra tiles and ship boards from the expansions make it even better.

Talisman is good at its base level, and the "corner" expansions are really neat, but the dragon, werewolf, death expansions just add needless complication and house keeping to an already long game.

Race for the Galaxy, geared towards war world strategies in the base game but the expansions (except for the take over one, see the talisman explanation above) add other cards that allow for more competitive non war strategies.

Expansions can also help iron out the issues that come up when a game gets out in the wild and has magnitudes of players looking for the bleeding edges as opposed to a smallish pool of play testers that could miss something. This is really best illustrated in Race for the Galaxy IMHO.

And no, a game shouldn't "need" an expansion to make it fun/playable. But often a game has to go to market rushed and somewhat rough, expansions can help make an otherwise rushed or awkward game into a fun and more complete experience.

I think an expansion can give extra legs to an old friend, but generally I find them disappointing. I get to play games so infrequently that I rarely exhaust all a game has to offer. If I have played a game too many times and still want more, then an expansion is a great way to mix it up. Usually, though, it doesn't improve a game for me, just gives me an excuse to revisit it for a few more run throughs. I don't like adding in expansions after only a few games. I have friends that immediately go buy the expansion as soon as they play the game once or twice. I think that is more the collector mentality taking over and less of the desire to play a good game.

This is something I have been noticing lately with my regular group. We have a sh!t ton of games between us, and often we have expansions even before actually playing the base game and often are using them after one or two plays. This leads to rules confusion and often worse games. And because we have so many games to play, we often only get a couple of one in before it sits on the self for a long time.

I think you are right though, the collector "I must have it all" mentality is what drives these early purchases.

• Like 1

For instance Galaxy Trucker is alot of fun in the base game, but the extra tiles and ship boards from the expansions make it even better.

See, this is where we disagree. I don't really like Trucker with all the expansion tiles. Yes there is neat new stuff, but all the "This has to be touching that to work" gets really old in ship building. I preferred the game when it was less diluted with special rule tiles.

It's really a great example of a game I like less with expansions (also a good example of one played only a couple times before expansions were added).