Centurions and Overwatch

pretre

So, maybe I'm just clueless here, but this has happened to me a lot. Centurions firing overwatch and chipping away at me on the charge. Someone just informed me (in a SOB thread on Dakka) that I (and my opponents with Cents, since I've never fielded them) have been playing it wrong.

Centurions are Slow and Purposeful

Units with a S&P model can't fire overwatch.

Mind blown.

• Like 4

Yeah, one of the main limitations on the assault centurions is that they are stuck with slow and purposeful. Can't sweep and can't overwatch.

On a side note, the other big mistake regarding devastator centurions, is I've met players that have been playing them with power fists. The model has what looks like power fist hands, so the players have just been going with what it looks like the model has....yeah.

And then the use Gate and get away!  Or hit and run if they are White Scars!  

WS don't get H&R for Squads that include Terminators or Centurions. GW did manage to cover that one.

On the OP, tho, yeah, this is one of the bigger balancing factors for Cents. They're hideously vulnerable to Assaults if not well screened/supported. If people are playing without that, they're possibly actually broken.

On the OP, tho, yeah, this is one of the bigger balancing factors for Cents. They're hideously vulnerable to Assaults if not well screened/supported. If people are playing without that, they're possibly actually broken.

No Assault Grenades either. One of the appeals for mounting them in a LR.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to necro the thread.

Last week at GG, two regulars claimed that dev centurions have terminator stats, other than the invulnerable save, so they were explaining how s5 isn't so bad in melee. I called them on it, and sure enough, only the veteran sergeant for centurions have the same profile as a terminator. The normal centurion devs are Ld8 with only 1 base attack. Other than the S5, T5, and 2+ armor, they have the same profile as a tactical marine.

This one unit seems to be misread a lot so I'm pointing it out is important so others don't miss it.

Yeah, there's even a bit in the fluff about how they're crewed by Assault or Devastator Marines instead of Vets.

Without the charge, looking at 4 attacks for a unit of 3 models. They are S5, but 4 attacks really isn't enough. I was commenting about how they could tied up with scout marines. Even if only for a game turn, that is a practical use of scouts and their carapace actually proves more practical than other SM armors when advancing on grav centurions.

Still a nasty unit at range.