Murphy's Review of End Times Magic

So got my first game of ET: Khaine magic with Peanut tonight and I have to say wow, not what I would have expected.

Now I am going to eat my big bowl of Crow and say I was wrong on my first take of the new rules of magic from the rumors that were going around. I should have known better and most of them left out big parts that made it sound worse than it was. My bad.

Now for my current feelings. I had a lot of fun. The magic phase went from a stress filled "I have to get this big spell off" to me just forgetting the big spells and throwing out the smaller spells I never used normally, except Hand of Gork. Even during Peanut's magic phase I had fun and didn't feel that worried becuase he too focused on the smaller ones. And honestly neither of us got off many spells. I mean the Magic Phase actually felt nerfed but not in a bad way. Just less of the big spells and more trying to make your lower casting spells work for you.

I have a lot I want to comment on but I am on the bus now and will post more latter.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask.

• Like 2

First I will say that this is my opinion only, so if you disagree I can understand, we all play a little different. And if you haven't tried it wait till you do before a final judgement.

Now if you like those Big High Casting spell that lay your enemy down in ruin you will not like ET:Khaine rules. Those spells are hard to get off and when you fail to cast you can't try again. These rules seem to tone down the power of the magic phase making it on par now with the other phases. I am not say you can't still make the phase work for you, but you will be working with the more Bread and Butter spells. I made Peanut realize real quick Hand of Gork is an amazing spell and it kept him from swarming my units and being able to get it off twice is powerful. Almost more powerful game wise than Foot of Gork.

Now the dispel dice are good too, but remember to take a level 4, Peanut didn't and I was able to shut down most of his spells due to my Lvl 4. Most phases the Caster tended to have a 14-16 dice pool to work with while the dispel pool tended to be around 9-11 for our game. So lots of chances to dispel and it happened a lot. But things like my Night Gobo Shaman with his Mushroom did give me some edge, till he got ran off the table, so being able to gain more dice to a casting is Huge now. (Think Sacrificial Dagger)

Also using Lores that have lower casting values are going to be more widely used now becuase the rolling a d6 to determine how many dice you can use for a spell will bite you hard at the wrong time. So limiting those chances anyway is needed.

Again I had lots of fun despite my lose tonight, but it was Peanut so it is hard not to have fun playing against him.

• Like 1

"But things like my Night Gobo Shaman with his Mushroom did give me some edge, till he got ran off the table, so being able to gain more dice to a casting is Huge now. (Think Sacrificial Dagger)"

That's what I was thinking as well...it seems with this system a magic item that adds dice to the cast or manipulates it in some way will be pretty much mandatory for getting off high cast value spells now.

Did you guys feel that this system added a lot more time to the phase?

I didnt notice it taking a great deal more time... Maybe just a little. I had three lores to choose from, but due to the friendly nature of the game i would often just spam a fun one like piercing bolts, fireball, or melkoths miasma. ML knew his O&G spells inside and out, so knew exactly what he wanted to cast. New players will probably take a bit more time though.

You often run into the situation where you try to cast, get dispelled, and then keep trying that same spell. The last round Murphys Lawyer had to try casting his gaze of mork maybe five times as I kept dispelling it. He drained my dispel dice in this way and eas left with two or three unimpeded castings of gaze.

I think, in the first round, ML cast itchy nuisance on three of my units, plus got off a hand of gork (using his mushroom die). Pretty neat to see the little spells becoming more important. I was spamming fireballs that first round, but due to having a level 2 vs his lvl 4, I had a real hard time getting it off.

I did cast dwellers once, but I couldnt see casting it boosted. He got off foot of gork twice, but trying to get it boosted would have been a bad idea, I think.

Overall Im liking it, though id like to try it some more.

Pardon the typos, on an ipad with cold fingers.

@Rcnjack. Honestly I didn't see it taking too much more time. The biggest time consumer was trying to decide which spell to use at first but since I felt comfortable about the O&G Lores this soon became a nonissue quick. Now Peanut had three Lores to choose from and with only lvl 2's so his choices was more difficult. Personally I think two Lores is a good number and lower level casters get the caddy job almost exclusively. My lvl 2 came in handy when I rolled an anmosity rolled with my lvl 4 but unless I was able to draw out his dispel dice he didn't do much.

• Like 1

I have gotten the impression that you nominate a spell roll a d6 for number of dice max you can use on it then attempt to cast, but is that die roll the max number you can roll on it? (ie for fireball can I choose to roll only 1-2 dice even if a 6 is rolled?)  Also for spells with multiple versions (fireball again) do I have to nominate which version I'm attempting before rolling the d6 to see the dice max?  Also is there anything stating that you have to roll at least enough dice to make casting possible?  (ie can I say I'm attempting a big spell like pit of shades but if I only roll 3 dice making it unlikely can I just opt to roll a min 1d6 at it knowing it will fail automatically to save power dice for other spells that phase).

I have gotten the impression that you nominate a spell roll a d6 for number of dice max you can use on it then attempt to cast, but is that die roll the max number you can roll on it? (ie for fireball can I choose to roll only 1-2 dice even if a 6 is rolled?) Also for spells with multiple versions (fireball again) do I have to nominate which version I'm attempting before rolling the d6 to see the dice max? Also is there anything stating that you have to roll at least enough dice to make casting possible? (ie can I say I'm attempting a big spell like pit of shades but if I only roll 3 dice making it unlikely can I just opt to roll a min 1d6 at it knowing it will fail automatically to save power dice for other spells that phase).

To answer your questions no you do not need to use all the dice to cast. So if you roll a 6 you can still just throw 1-2 dice.

You have to announce which version you are going to cast beforehand if there are two different casting totals needed.

You can roll up to any number of dice you want. If you state you are going to cast Purple Sun but only end up with 3 then you can just throw 1 die to save dice. (You won't be able to attempt PS that turn again since you failed.)

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question on this stuff...

Just got my soft copies of Both Glottkin and Kaine and I see in the Kaine book under the new magic rules they list the four conditions in which the new magic rules must be used.

One of those conditions states that "If either player is using a unit from the new armies and units section of this book".As for "new units" do they mean the new named characters in the Kaine book?..or do they mean ANY unit from the new army lists which of course would mean pretty much any HE,DE,or WE unit in the game now?

Because if its the latter than I can see they intend for this to be the new magic rules in the upcoming edition as that's three armies that MUST use the new magic rules at this point.Now of course most wont use them until its FAQ`d in and that's a good thing at this point.Were is if they are just talking about the new named characters in the book then I can see this as being a totally optional system only applying to Elven Host End Times armies and their use.

Nagash could spam those low casting summons, that's for sure. On the downside, you still have the chance of only being able to use 2-3 dice when you want to cast that big summon. I would be highly interested in playing against nagash with the ET magic rules in effect. If you would like to test it out in a game, let me know and i'd be willing to play against it.

Nagash could spam those low casting summons, that's for sure. On the downside, you still have the chance of only being able to use 2-3 dice when you want to cast that big summon. I would be highly interested in playing against nagash with the ET magic rules in effect. If you would like to test it out in a game, let me know and i'd be willing to play against it.

Sounds great!..though ive still got to get him built along with a Terroghiest and Heirotitan so maybe in a month or two,heh.

But yeah I think that as the End Times progresses I would definatly like to get some games in the with Big guys, even if they aren't ever accepted into the competitive scene they will still be fun to play perhaps even using some of the new ET scenarios:tup