Is it Wrong?

Is it wrong that I do not care about The End of Times and would prefer a new Beast, Bret, and Skaven book instead? :dry:  :wink:  :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with it at all. Personally I have a love/hate with the ET books and am interested in where it ends up. But no matter what I will still like to play pre-ET games too even if this is an intro into 9th.

Think of it as another way to play WHFB along with the current edition. Still want to play amd test the ET:Khaine magic some more to see if what I experienced was not just an odd game or if that is how it will work. I also want to play normal 8th ed games along with T&T.

Honestly I will be good with any current form. But the ET books is a 180° in someways. It will tale time to sink in, by then 9th will be here with updated army books I hope.

(Skaven will get a new book soon but Beastmen and Brets might get rolled into a combined army book. We will have to see.)

if they would drop those three books and if 9th has the changes rumored (including the 50% lord nonsense and everyone having lore of undeath, etc) I would not care...because with those 3 books we would have a complete edition I really love and me and my group can keep playing while ignoring the retrograde release. not wrong...you are 99.9% right

(cause there are some people out there liking these changes and books. And even though they are wrong they have the right to enjoy being wrong :-) )

• Like 1

if they would drop those three books and if 9th has the changes rumored (including the 50% lord nonsense and everyone having lore of undeath, etc) I would not care...because with those 3 books we would have a complete edition I really love and me and my group can keep playing while ignoring the retrograde release. not wrong...you are 99.9% right

(cause there are some people out there liking these changes and books. And even though they are wrong they have the right to enjoy being wrong :-) )

I'm just upset because I don't have my Khaine book so I can't run a 1000 point Malekith yet!

• Like 1

I've enjoyed so far reading the stories and looking at the pretty pictures.  But funny enough, I haven't even opened the "rules" half of the book sets!  I'll have to eventually (sort of like studying for finals) but I plan to ignore the rules as much as I can :)

Brets book would be fun but I am afraid they'll take away the Lance, Defensive Stakes, Trebuchets, or other things about the current book that I love, things that make the army look and feel uniquely "Bretonnian" to me.  So even if they leave the current book in place I'm happy.  Some new Knight models would sure be nice though!

I am going to warn you that think this might be a story that they are going to recant when 9th comes out, they most likely won't.

After reading the fluff in the ET:Khaine book I can say quite confidently it was not done to make any Elf players feel like this was a good side story. Even though I liked the story and the justifications made sense when you read the story it still was a clear statement they intend the next Elf Army book to be a combined army book. And the unit abilities and names will change to reflect what happened during the rise and fall of Khaine's gambit.

Not sure of how the other ET books read yet but this is what is happening in WHFB and is a prelude to 9th. Of course this is just my opinion from what I have read but it was quite clear that the Elves are now forced to join forces to fight against the onslaught of the Dark Gods. (Don't want to give any spoilers away but there is good reason for the Elves to have this disliked Union and no, the Dark Elves are not in charge.)

The Next two ET books should clear up more of what 9th will most likely look like. (And yes, there is two more at least planned. Skaven in Jan or Feb and another wrap up book with the rest of the faction's story's.) Not sure how many of the ET rules will survive but most of them most likely will.

I don't blame anyone for being leery and not excited becuase it looks like they may scale WHFB's number of army books back some but army books will have more selections. And as with any edition change there will be good and bad changes for us all.

While I agree wholeheartedly with Raindog, I am of the same opinion as ML. I think the ET is a sign of the future. I don't know how long these books will last into 9e, but I would lay a heavy bet on combined books. Undead and Chaos are just a new incarnation of previously combined books, Elves will be another single book. I think Empire, Brets and dwarves are a likely combo and the rumor is that Skaven and Goblins are featured in the next book. That leaves Lizardmen and Ogres (and Orcs I guess, though I suspect they will be in with the Gobbos) without an obvious home. As an Ogre Kingdoms player I hope they find one, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Lizzie's jumped in their saucer and bailed.

Wait and see I suppose. I will say that I hope the 9e rules reel in some of the ET craziness, if this is indeed the foundation of the future of WHFB.

@generalrippenhook:

That is about my guess, assuming you are combining Skaven and Lizzies - they do have a history after all and I don't think we will be seeing any individual army books this edition.

@WarlordGhrom:

The underground book sounds plausable as well. And the other is as likely as my guess too.

If wanting new army books is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Trust me, this is the part I really don't like. Aside from the Chaos Players everyone else looks to be at best scratching their heads, at worst losing them.

I may seem like I am pro-change but I am not. I am watching and waiting to see how it all shakes out while trying not to be too negative though I am skeptical by nature. I just know that these books appear to be a quickly thrown together series that was conceived to explain the major shake up in fantasy instead of just dropping it on us when 9th dropped.

Part of me is glad I am seeing what 9th might look like before it drops and that there was some major thinking as to justifying the fluff for such a change. The other part of me is thinking GW is acting desperate in its attempts to boost WHFB's sales and may drive off some players till this all settles down. I am not sure if this will workout as GW wants it to. 

(Just a note, the Vortex containing the winds of magic has been destroyed and some of the winds are free while others are bond to individuals and a staff. Seriously, I think Teclis just became Gandalf instead of drowning in the sea. So the rules for magic Are changing.)

I want army books, but do we want haphazardly put together combinations of multiple armies with little thought?

Honestly we don't know what the new army books are going to look like. We have an idea but there will be changes to how units work for the elves, at least from the fluff. But until the army books drop have some measure of hope that there was some thought put into them.