assassins?

Steel Angel

Nope. You can take multiples. We were talking about it back when the Dataslate dropped. Since each one fits in a Detachment, you can actually take an Army of nothing but Assassins and it's even still BattleForged.

But, and very notably, they are 1 assassin per detachment. So an event which limits the total number of detachments would restrict the use of assassins.

I fought all 4 Assassins in one list, an IMperial Fist list.  It was fine.  I won the game and never felt like his Assassins were unduly unbalancing our game.

For what its worth, from an opponents perspective.  I myself havent tried using any since they split them off.  But the Culexis seems like its really worthwhile even if just for one rounds worth of work at a critical time.

I fought all 4 Assassins in one list, an IMperial Fist list.  It was fine.  I won the game and never felt like his Assassins were unduly unbalancing our game.

For what its worth, from an opponents perspective.  I myself havent tried using any since they split them off.  But the Culexis seems like its really worthwhile even if just for one rounds worth of work at a critical time.

Every codex edition seems to have a different assassin as the new star. I think the current star is the Culexus, while the vindicare was the star in the last book. The callidus was pretty amazing in the book before that.

yeah i didn't feel like a two wound dude running around was as scary as I thought it would be.  It took a fair number of his points to do, and without excellent hidey holes, there is a limitation to what they can do.  

So I was fine with them, truly.  My favorite in Witch Hunters was the Callidus.  in Grey KNights i valued the Vindicare.  In the new meta I value the Culexus.  Invisibility is simply too silly a broken power.  Glad that some tournies are nerfing it to WS and BS 1.  That at least allows the flamers to affect things.  

I think the army it's in has more to do with its value than the actual edition, but i would say that the old Callidus was a lot more imposing in its 4th and 5th Edition role than it became in 6th and 7th.