Starting Lizardmen!

OK well my oldest boy wanted me to start them so he could build and play them and probably paint one or two leaving me with most of the hard work..as usual /rolleyes

He got some money for Christmas so I added to it and picked up a Battalion box and the book.

I don't know anything about the army but just checking 1d4 channel it seems they are actually a pretty good army to start the game with so I may be throwing them down at some point in the future.

I will probably be selling the small collections of High Elves and Bretts I have to fill out this new army and of course the first thing he wants me to get is one of those T-Rex models that totes the lizards around.However I know from past experience that those huge cool looking models usually arent a competitive choice at all and in fantasy that means Cannoned off by turn two or three before it gets face time,lol.

Anyhow does anyone around here play Lizardmen?..I haven't seen any Lizard armies at WoW yet but ive heared them talked about so any suggestions as to what models to get next would be greatly appreciated:)

• Like 1

oh there's a few guys that play them(and they will give better advice) but ive played against them quite a bit!  actually a great starter army imo!  they are a very versatile army with very good shooting, monsters, infantry and magic along with probably the best value-for-pop heros in the game in scar vets.  but yea, tons of painting ;)  getting the battalion was a great start.  probably need more skinks, warriors and temple guard for bigger games.  skink priests for magic in small games.  chameleons are great.  really depends on your play style!  probably the frog down the road as well for magic in larger games.  

• Like 2

Salamanders are great. Stegadons are great. Bastiladons are pretty good. The slann makes the army past 1500 pts, and wins games. Put him in a temple guard bunker. A lot of people run skink clouds, which is many small units of skinks. Others will bring blocks of saurus, who are pretty good rank and file. One thing i fear is cowboys. That is a hero or lord mounted on cold one with all the fixins. Those guys are really scary.

• Like 1

@Rncjack. Using your son as an excuse to buy new toys? And then rolling your eyes at him wanting you to put it together? Shame on you. (That's exactly what happened with me and my son with his Star Wars Legos. Well done. :happy: )

Yes there are plenty of Lizard players around here that can give you some good advice. My experience playing against them is that they hit hard, are hard to kill and have great wizards. Throw in the fact that they just. don't. break. makes them fun to play and good to learn with. They are more forgiving then most armies.

Did I mention Dinosaurs are awesome!

(Also if you still want to use LoU the Lizardmen will be better than O&G at it.)

• Like 1

@Rncjack. Using your son as an excuse to buy new toys? And then rolling your eyes at him wanting you to put it together? Shame on you. (That's exactly what happened with me and my son with his Star Wars Legos. Well done. :happy: )

Yes there are plenty of Lizard players around here that can give you some good advice. My experience playing against them is that they hit hard, are hard to kill and have great wizards. Throw in the fact that they just. don't. break. makes them fun to play and good to learn with. They are more forgiving then most armies.

Did I mention Dinosaurs are awesome!

(Also if you still want to use LoU the Lizardmen will be better than O&G at it.)

LOL! Well that's usually the case but hes been wanting a Dino Army for a while since the Brettonians didn't really work out for him...and yeah im always up for new toys:)

Played a 500 point game with my oldest over the weekend with him using "His" new Zard army:)

I threw down a small contingent of OnG`s and it ended up being a very fun and pretty balanced matchup.

Basically we each had 3 minimum blocks of troops with his being 10 Skinks,10 Saurus and 10 Temple Guards.Mine was 20 NG bows,10 Ork Boys w/SnB/FC and 5 Wolf riders w/Bow and shield no command.He took a Skink priest and I took a Orc boss,NG boss(bsb) and NG lvl 2 shaman.

He managed to cast out a boosted version of Casandras Comet( I think that's what its called) on his turn one,placing the token right in front of my army pretty much,it went off with IF so I couldn't counter but we ended up questioning if its even possible to counter it as the spell description states that it cant be dispelled anyway..or is that once the token is placed? and not at the moment of casting?.

Anyhow that friggen comet thing didn't go off until turn 4 after so many rolls on it for each magic phase and had like 12 tokens on it!,lol..of course I was long away from it by that time however it did pretty much force me to charge out at his line with my Boys and the Gen grouped with them which ultimately they ended up dieing off from a multiround scrap with the Saurus`s and getting flanked by the Skinks.Im just glad it didn't go off early as it would have pretty much ended the game and that would have been a lame game for both of us.

The rest of the fight was pretty much me plinking away with my Archers and Wolf riders while trying to get off Curse of the Bad moon...yeah I tried 4 times and finally got it off,though I was trying to do the boosted version as its pretty much a Purple Sun .When it finally did go off on turn 5 I aimed it at his Temple Guard and took out 8 of the 9 Remaining and was able to arrow down the final one but was only able to put one wound on his Priest who was the General.He ended up with a victory by a mear 5 points,so very close fight with the best part,HE WON:)

And yeah,once again....I forgot about the F`N MAGIC MUSHROOM!

Anyhow we both had a great time and the best part is he`s VERY much into the Lizardmen now!.Painting away on a color scheme he really likes.This is all fine by me and actually has got me thinking about maybe expanding on the small collection of High Elves and possibly starting them as my main Emprire force as we can do low point battles as he builds up the Lizards.Theres also the chance I may have to expand out into an Elf End Times army but that would be down the road.