Undead Horde?

I've always loved skeletons. I remember all those movies with stop-animations of wacky skeletons shambling forward to get shattered by Jason or Hercules. 

My favorite armies, as some of you know consist of large blocks of basic troops. Essentially maximizing model count for any given points value. I'm wondering how this would best be accomplished by undead armies?

I have a lot of tomb king models and would probably go that route absent any compelling arguments for another list. I like the idea of relying on skeleton warriors, archers, chariots and catapults... essentially just a skeletal version of a classical ancient cohort. Is it possible to be reasonably competitive without monsters or constructs?

well the TG looks very skeletal if you went undead legions you could take one of those to wreck face (paint a canon bullseye), there's also the new harbingers which are very skeletal in design. basically yes I think you can be reasonably competitive with just a little work.

You'll need lots of Tomb Princes in your units to beef them up, and casters to buff with magic as well. It will really hinge on you getting spells off to buff at critical times and keeping the TPs alive. I think it will be an uphill battle for you each game. Perhaps with the new undeath lore, that will help. Would you be opposed to running an undead legions list with some necromancers in it? They provide greater healing than TK magic.

I've always loved skeletons. I remember all those movies with stop-animations of wacky skeletons shambling forward to get shattered by Jason or Hercules. 

My favorite armies, as some of you know consist of large blocks of basic troops. Essentially maximizing model count for any given points value. I'm wondering how this would best be accomplished by undead armies?

I have a lot of tomb king models and would probably go that route absent any compelling arguments for another list. I like the idea of relying on skeleton warriors, archers, chariots and catapults... essentially just a skeletal version of a classical ancient cohort. Is it possible to be reasonably competitive without monsters or constructs?

The only monsters or constructs that TK tend to run in competitive builds are heirotitan & snake knights, neither of which feels necessary. You can take chariots, archers and a big block of tomb guard, catapults,  and a casket, all of which are good. I agree with the above posters said that the competitiveness will come in via characters. Try taking 2 lvls 4s, one on light, with 2-3 lvl 1 lights, and putting them in a big block of archers behind your melee skeleton lines. Then add a couple melee characters built to survive into the big skele blocks.

To me the biggest boost that army could get from going undead legions would be to replace the heirophant & melee characters with a melee heavy vampire lord & a wight king with nightshroud converted to looks skeletal, add tomb princes just for skeleton weapon skill up and keep the light mages.

• Like 1

Bricks dream of a mostly-infantry skeletal horde + Romes suggestion to improve the efficacy with a Vamp lord is freaking me out... I have been daydreaming this exact army since reading End Times book 1.  Dude if you build this army we are going to have to do battle vs. my Bretonnia army and take pictures.  I have what, 160-some peasants and 18 Knights and two Trebuchets, the battefield would look EPIC.