corsair list - rate?

Torg

OK - I never really like to open up a list for review.  So I am really just looking for opinions on this for possibly OFCC or garage hammer play.  This list will be using a bunch of my old RT era elder... some falcons.. a few forge world items that I have yet to paint and put together.  Also - zoats (counts-as for the corsair eldar wasp - war walker variant).   Goals - fun list... not uber weak - or too strong.  

- here it goes...

2000 Pts - IA: Eldar Corsairs (IA11) Roster - Eldar Corsairs

Total Roster Cost: 2000

: Combined Arms Detachment (35#, 2000 pts)
   1 Corsair Prince - Power Weapon, Fusion Pistol + Balelight + Melta Bombs + Forceshield 

2 Corsair Blade Sworn Retinue, Power Weapon + Shuriken Catapult + Melta Bombs
         1 Corsair Falcon, Pulse Laser + Scatter Laser

1 Corsair Void Dreamer, Power Weapon + Neural Shredder + Gyrinx + Webway Portal (? why... not sure yet)

EL/   
1 Eldar Craftworld Outcasts
      3 Shadow Spectres (IA)
         1 Shadow Spectres Exarch  + Night Vision 5 + Monster Hunter + Prism Blaster

TP/
(x3)   5 Eldar Corsair Squad, Shuriken Cats + Eldar Missile Launcher
      1 Corsair Falcon, Pulse + Scatter Laser

1 (3 - ZOAT Terror Squad) Corsair Wasp Assault Walker Squadron,  + Eldar Missile Launcher x2
      1 Corsair Wasp, Shuriken Cannon x2 
      1 Corsair Wasp, Shuriken Cannon x2

FA/   1 Nightwing Interceptor

HVY/
          1 Phoenix Bomber w/pulse
          1 Warp Hunter

====

anyhow - thoughts?  

I am really not sure why I added the web portal maybe for the spectres :/...on review I think I would spend the points on something else.  I had some hornets in the list... but it really seemed to be too much.  And I needed an excuse to get the shadow spectres done.  - it is early - but may as well start thinking on what to do for OFCC.  I was thinking Harlequins... until the rumors started flowing - so that project is on hold until that either happens or not.

-d
  • Like 1

I know the Corsair list pretty well, but... well, what can I say? You said you're specifically not interested in making it a competitive-type list and "not too strong/weak" is about the broadest possible guideline you could give, because what that means is going to vary wildly from group to group. Ditto with "fun," since that is a 100% subjective sort of thing.

If you had a specific goal in mind for the list ("include as many of ____ as possible," "run with nothing but Jet Pack Infantry," etc) it might be a different matter, but given the guidelines you laid down it's hard to say anything other than "Yes, that certainly is a legal Corsairs list."

Yeah your right - it's a pointless post - your opinion is it's a pointless list? Because you have no opinion on it? You have an opinion right?

I never said - not to trash the list - I stated that I wasn't intent on changing it much.

But giving no opinion because you can't influence change? I'm troubled with your lack of a opinion on it based ... Your opinion - from your point of view. It's 2 out of 5 stars on the AP scale.

You can't be general in your opinion? Why reply at all? I value everyone's opinion - I don't have to do things differently because of it though lol

Sorry - in not trying to be pointed or a jerk - I am honestly looking for folks point of view on the list - it's crap don - or - the list is OFCC mid range - but your getting rolled at TSHFT (again).

Again - if I'm not trying to be a jerk

-d

So what are you looking for, then? If you just want an assessment of the list, it helps to know what perspective you're trying to assess it from. I don't know who you play against or what they consider "average" so it's very difficult to rate its power level in that respect; I can tell you "this is worse than a Serpent Spam army" or "this is better than Footdar," but those aren't terribly helpful measures. I can point out where I think you've made choices in the list that are subpar, but if you're not looking to make the list stronger I'm not sure why you would want me to.

It's an honest question- what are you looking for from people's comments on the list? Because, to me at least, I don't feel that's obvious.

Well in my OP i am looking primarily at an OFCC type setting.  OR not overly ( or overtly ) competitive.  Your personal opinion (based on your local meta-mumbo-jumbo...etc) is what I am asking for.  I just think your overthinking the review.  I understand...when I am asking a forum such as this...that ALL the opinions are from the point of view of the person giving me the opinion.  To me this is a given... always.  I am not really sure why I would ask for opinions about my list based on my own skewed point of view.  I am asking for a review in others eyes...from their point of view.  So I am clearly seeing the list - from outside my viewpoint.  Hence... the second sentence from the OP...

...  So I am really just looking for opinions on this for possibly OFCC or garage hammer play.  ...

anyhow - thoughts?  

Really - outside my head opinions matter - rated for OFCC which is really my standard for "fun" lol.  But, like I stated in the OP... I am not looking for clues to optimize the list by making more purchases or major changes.  I really want to use my 1989-1990 figures where I can (original RT era Eldar Corsairs did not have jet packs).  Heck - I may play this army for OFCC and then just relegate the army for display lol.  

Anyhow, AP - I do appreciate you pointing me to try and give people whom want to "rate" the list some direction.  

-d

p.s. "what and I looking for from people's comments on the list.." will this list work for OFCC without either being to strong or too soft... as it stands - based on the typical OFCC rating and/or meta.  I'm not looking to take this list to TSHFT or the Guardian Cup or what have you.  It will be a fluffy list (in my RT era point of view) to have a list utilizing the figures I have.  

So you're bringing a lot of Eldar tanks; that's good, because Eldar tanks are good. The Falcon isn't quite a Wave Serpent, but it's still a very respectable transport with strong guns. I think that part of things is right. You're also bringing along some other vehicles to support them (airplanes, walkers), which is also good- it keeps your saturation high. However, I think your support forces could use some work and you could improve on the way you make use of your HQs and other slots. The Corsair list is full of a lot of weird stuff, so unless you specifically want to be using the Shadow Spectres I don't think you really need to be dipping into them unless you're desperate.

Remember that unless you purchase Jet Packs, your squads are not Relentless. Avoid the heavy weapons.

I would try to do something like this:

1 Void Dreamer (Neural Shredder, Haywire, Gyrinx, Webway Portal) (125)

5 Fire Dragons (Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Holofields) (245)

5 Corsairs (Fusion, Felach w/Fusion Pistol, Falcon w/Scatter Laser, underslung Cannon) (230)

5 Corsairs (Fusion, Felach w/Fusion Pistol, Falcon w/Scatter Laser, underslung Cannon) (230)

2 Wasps (1 Scatter Laser + 1 Shuriken Cannon each) (150)

1 Nightwing Interceptor (145)

1 Warp Hunter (Holofields) (160)

1 Night Spinner (Holofields) (145)

1 Phoenix Bomber (225)

That puts you at 1655pts, which leaves you a decent chunk to play around with. Some more Wasps, another flyer, a few more Troops, an Allied force, any number of things. I would rate this list as reasonably solid, but nothing that most people should be particularly terrified of- it can put out some low-AP shots, but unlike Wave Serpents it doesn't have the sheer volume of fire or absurd resilience. Some reserve manipulation and melee defense in the form of an Autarch on Jetbike might be nice, or even a Wraithknight if you wanted to bring something nasty. The Webway Portal is actually one of the most awkward parts of the list- it'd be nice to have something good for it to arrive with, but right now you're settling for the Corsair squads as you're not allowed to join the Fire Dragons. A big unit of Corsairs with Jetpacks, perhaps? 2x Fusion 2x Missile Launcher 1x Fusion Pistol plus the Dreamer's powers and grenade is nothing to sneeze at.

well... I have a full unit of painted hornets... pulse lasers... but it seems a bit OTT.  I could do a wraith knight as well (as I picked another up to paint).  The wasps are intended to be "counts as"... because I want to somehow work in my old zoats.  The weapons are iffy ( but one has what seems to easily be a missile launcher)... but I could see the scatter and s-canons working for the others (aside from the champion zoat which has a power fist and flamer --- I wasn't planning on using him).

The specters - yeah they are still un-assembled and not painted... so leaving them out is less work.  But i need to do them someday lol.  i have a ton of bikes - thats an easy do for the list as well.  

all food for thought - and very reasonable... I will have to mull over my reasoning on the web way portal as well.

-d

hmmm I have a unit of converted and built … half painted… harlequin jet bikes…set up to be Shining Spears… with lances (from Dark Elves in fantasy)… that could be kinda cool perhaps.  I will pull them out and see how they play in 7th… I have yet to try them since 5th.  Those could pop out of a web way - 

-d

I also remembered… I have about 10 or so chain sword wielding RT era Eldar… look beefy… I could use them as scorpions or something.  not sure.  But I will have to take a closer look at the models again.  But I will have to check on the rules - I don't think you can assault from the WWP… or is that changed?

-d